best small saw now!

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
the 200t is hands down the best saw. I have used the huskys and while the were better than ok I still love the200t. I have also used the poulan pro 25av, that saw sucked. And who could forget the homelite ezee. pull on the cord about 50 times and then turn off the choke, then another 50 pulls

In the 80's we only had the ezee, xl12, 925 and the wiz. first stihl was the 38 then the 020 and 28. From there it was off to the races,

86 was the first tree I climed for money... I do not remember when it actually turned into profit

And who could forget the homelite ezee. pull on the cord about 50 times and then turn off the choke, then another 50 pulls

That is funny ! Makes my shoulder ache just reading that... reminds me of the Stihl hedgers I had once. Garbage. Shindaiwa all the way for hedgers.

Al, are you getting a ms 200 or one of the square bodied older model 020 saws. There is room for some mods on the 020 saws. I have several of those in my collection and ported one of them. It is a screamer compared to the stock ones I have.

Keep us informed no matter which saw it is. This might be inteteresting.
As far as I know it's an 020 T . It's a donor for me to tinker with .

For some reason I just get a kick out of little bumble bee saws that run like little race horses .

The whole thing came about because I had forgotten to retune my pipe after I did some port work on my Mini Mac and got out gunned by an MS 200 .This somewhat annoyed me . The 200 won't do it know since I tweeked in the pipe .

Anyway I mentioned this other places on the net and a gent offered one[020 T ] to see what I can do with it . Might have another killer bee,might not .Time will tell .

Al, Ed ported one or two 200T's for Craig, an Alberta arborist who no longer visits our forums. They ran like raped apes. Only concern was the heat buildup, due to so much power pushing through a small engine turning high rpm's. Ed said to be careful not to lean them out too much....which applies to stock 200's as well, of course..as any saw, but more so.

It's just going to be a baby cookie cutter RB not a work saw . I had thought about a little Huskie 335 but this Stihl I think might be better .

Just some of the silly stuff I do .;)

I would like to get a 650 or 660 next.
Just curious man. But why would you even consider the 650 over 660.Or put another way,why would you want a detuned 660.

Must be a market for them. I am just trying to understand why some one would want less verses more.

Hey Butch.
I broke down & got hooked up to the interweb today. My place is a ways outside of town. Nothing to do at times.
No TV. Just sick of spending money.

No TV awesome! Hell I don't even pay for internet :/:. And I'm seriously considering solar power with a gen back-up, already have wood heat and bye bye grid/utilities.

Dude I have found a new high. Saving my money!!!
I would love to live completly off grid.
To me that is sticking it to the man

Nothng better than a pocket/bank/safe full of unencumbered cash to help a guy sleep at night.:)

Sounds like things are going well for you, glad to hear it.

Jeff, My Firewood guy-who is a skilled saw operator, bought a 650 because no 660s were avalable at the time he purchased it. He says that it is a good saw-the Powerband is broader than the 660 and he says it has good torque for big cuts. he still prefers his 660s but says the 650 is better for the guy who isn't adept at feathering the saw in a cut to keep it working in the optimum sector of the PB.

Just curious man. But why would you even consider the 650 over 660.Or put another way,why would you want a detuned 660.

Must be a market for them. I am just trying to understand why some one would want less verses more.

Price?? The dealer here has no 660's right now and has a special on the 650. He also has specials on MS200T 16 inch bar and MS361 20 inch bar. Your choice, $539.00

I don't have need for a big saw all that often, and if needed, I can borrow my son-in-law's 084.

The 200t is the best climbing saw hands down. I tried the 16 inch bar and found the saw too slow in hard wood. with the 14 inch its a weapon!

Back