Best Biner For One Handed Opening

• Thread starter oscar4883
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
Sorry that they didn't work out for you, Stig. Just goes to show that what's a great (fill in the blank) to one climber can easily be next to useless to another.

For me, the difference in the way the gate opens with both the Jake and then the Pirate was so amazingly better than any other biner I'd ever used before, I'd have been more likely to give away all the others and used those types exclusively, instead :D.

Hmmm...you both know what this means, don't you Jon and Stig?

The inability to percieve that the biner you have in your hand is different from that other biner, and this one opens so-and so, while that one opens the other way?? That must indicate something fundamental about a person.

:P
:D
;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My issue with the alum. snaps that are readily available is the brand. They all seem to be Forrester/Presto or the like and that does not inspire confidence with me when it comes to life support equip. The fact that they are rated, etc., does not change the feeling that they are sub-par. That is how my feeble mind works. lol I find my self thinking at times "hey, the same guys that are making/importing all these snaps are the same guys who make/import the crappy files and other junk at the saw shop". Maybe one of the CTI snaps would be a good change. Might have to order one. I have seen the flat snaps on Burnhams lanyards in old posts as well as others and they seem nicer.

You mean like those who gripe about the flip caps on Stihl saws.

Because they lack the manual dexterity to operate them;)

I am a big fan of ISC's snap and also their carabiners.

ISC%20TRIPLE.JPG

I also prefer steel snaps. My climbing biners get very little abuse, my flipline snap on the other hand gets banged and slung around, easy to grab and snap from inside or out

A double locking snap! Never saw those before. Looks like you can open it with one hand. Wonder if stuff gets caught in there?

Yes it can Jay... Just not as often as you think it would though. But you have to keep an eye as with any climbing gear.
Those ISC snaps are awesome BTW. The one I got to try... I really liked.

i use one on my flipline and love it (double lock, not triple). i have a second one that i used to use on the end of my climb line, but ive been using a carabiner lately. i wonder if im the only one who loves the ball lock carabiners?

I don't like them myself. They seem to fail easily, as in the mechanism becomes screwed up and I don't trust it for life support. I like the snaps, my hands are shot the fancy biners are a pita for me at times.

They seem to fail easily, as in the mechanism becomes screwed up

ive heard other people make the same observation. maybe im just lucky, but in the nine or so years ive been using them ive yet to have one stop working properly (beyond needing a little graphite lube sometimes). i even felled a stick with one still in the top (dumb). log landed right on it and the only damage was that the corner on the rotating sleeve got bent. after bending it back it works fine (for non life support). just my experience.

I am a big fan of ISC's snap and also their carabiners.

ISC%20TRIPLE.JPG

I have three of these; the one on the lanyard I use the most gets bent and the side plates of the 1st latch bind under the side plates of the 2nd latch, rendering it 'locked open'.
Not fun. Even after realigning the plates they are stuck again within a tree or two and those extra few seconds to free it and check it add up. Seems the plate thickness is too thin.

Can you disable the #1 latch on that clip? Looks like it could be a useful item without the extra latch to get hung up.

I had a Rock Pirate. I think I traded it to Nick after about 5 climbs on it. I could not stand it. If it was Nick, maybe he will toss on his two cents.

At first I greatly despised this carabiner. It feels very funky when you open it. All my other carabiners you "pull" the sleeve to open it. This one was a push- not a pull.

Lately it doesn't bother me. I know it enough to push instead of pull (I might be saying it wrong...I'd need to go grab a carabiner and see what my hand instinctually does).

I think this whole thread isn't a matter of what is the best one-handed carabiner...it's "what are you most used to?"

I LOVE the petzl ball locks. I can open them in any direction one handed with either hand. They are also the locking carabiner I have used the most in the last decade. I have a tiny ISC gator that I hate because it is too small.

I like the ISC triple snap (whatever its called). I got one shortly after they came out and now it is instinctual to me. I haven't had probs with the bent plates like Pat is talking about, so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed!

Skwerl, the #1 action for that snap was put on to make it a triple action snap, because the double action snap had a tendency to roll out and open up very easily when pressed against something, which often happens to a lanyard snap. Made for a few scary scenes for a few guys if I recall. That snap led to the ban on all snaps by the Euro TCC for lanyards.

I have been using the ISC triple action snaps for several weeks now. Not long enough to speak for their longevity and durability, but very smooth and easy to use. I did notice today that fine sawdust had filled the gap on the smallest 'action' and had to be blown out to move properly. Before I used the petzl am'd ball lock. I prefer ball lock over push/pull, just easier for me...

Biner on adjuster end, ISC snap (double-locking) on working end. Tried the triple action, but just couldn't get used to it. I haven't experienced the rollout issue described. Sometimes it would be nice to have a bit more weight, but I can add on if necessary.

Having the "bit more weight" is why I went to the Fusion Ovatti steel biner. And if I need even more, I have a throw bag on my saddle and clip it with the same biner. Good for advancing the climb line. Positive locking of course and it could be smoother like my aluminum Petzl OK ovals. I do like the weighted advantage though for advancing the line.
file_3_12.jpeg

Back