Mmmm, I miss good tree work ?:D

Attachments

• afterwillow.jpg
    afterwillow.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Beforewillow.jpg
    Beforewillow.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 164
I could sense you've been missing it in your last posts...

Step one, or the before shot, is the first step in topworking apples to change variety. Done it to hundreds of trees in private orchards. In commercial operations by the hundreds of acres.

The quality and long lastingness of the topworking in orchards comes only from the well thoughtout crown shape left by the cuts. Leaving each stem opportunity to receive as much light as the other. AKA a natural canopy. Next, cleft graft on the new variety by brutal spliting of each stems after the cut. Install two to three scions. Seal with bees wax. Go to the next. Chop, chop.

The reconstruction results in a brandnew natural spread canopy, with the new variety occupying the new fruit bearing outer-structure-canopy. Much the same thought process goes into crown restoration in older trees that have been pollarded. Hack, hack. Properly done it can be developed into a regular maintaince program for the older tee and can spring new vigor into older trees.

Of course of what works in agricultrue and our orchards is often seen as hack practice in arborculture. As so, for those who have never grafted and topworked fruit trees will see it only one way.

The tree in illustration is young and vigorous and quite capable of successfully healing the cuts and fairing out into a tree of good form years down the road. It maybe set back, but it's not hurt. And the resulting shape is not ugly. Years down the road most people would never know the difference.

A Willow tree ?
Pic looks to be taken next to a freeway, and the access to it looks like it was difficult at best. No power lines around means it was not for line clearance. The staged brush pile has me wondering, too ?
C'mon, Nate !?! Give us s'more details about this tree ? Was it an experiment or college course study ?
Y'got me so curious !!!
P.S. Is there a "before-before" pic >>> what the tree originally looked like ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for the trolling post. This one is a willow. I have a picture of the same thing where I butchered a lime (linden) at the state archive in Muncih.

That tree is there now and will be around long after I am not.

Still, I don't miss having to do that type of work.

Sorry for the trolling post. This one is a willow. I have a picture of the same thing where I butchered a lime (linden) at the state archive in Muncih.

That tree is there now and will be around long after I am not.

Still, I don't miss having to do that type of work.

Funny you say that...

I have an aging population of silver linden in the streets of Boston. This post actually made me consider this as an alternative to removal for a couple of trees.:D thanks!

Heh I'm poking a little fun but seriously sometimes a nice tree in the wrong spot it's an alternative to removal as long as all of the risk are identified and a plan for long term maintenance is put into place. Where's the harm if it's that or death?

Funny you say that...

I have an aging population of silver linden in the streets of Boston. This post actually made me consider this as an alternative to removal for a couple of trees.:D thanks!

you wouldnt!

I bet youd have TD though................

speaking of, where is he? SuperDAD!?

Whatever that's supposed to mean. I guess you live in a city where you spend probably millions to grow trees. I live in a valley where we spend millions to cut down trees.

So you as as a city arborist can say you'd consider doing that to a tree, and it's a edumacated decision.

But I as a lowly sub can say that and it's what a joke?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Whatever that's supposed to mean...But I as a lowly sub can say that and it's what a joke?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLT-L5A5cqk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DLT-L5A5cqk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So you as as a city arborist can say you'd consider doing that to a tree, and it's a edumacated decision.

I think we were both missing something..but I am sober now sooooooo

here are a few examples of trees I have "reduced" in the name of preservation

Attachments

• IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 47