Before & After Tree Care

A little before and after. This tree was slated for removal by PG&E contractors. But the folks living here convinced them they want to keep it and would have me remove the mistletoe and any hazard limbs. See how she holds. Blackberries and a creek under it.
Fodder. IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0292.JPG

This was a new to me event we rectified (hopefully) today. Seems we have a mouse infestation at this account. 3 year old install got chewed up on the main line. Initial visit on the call, I found mouse droppings though I was looking for squirrel and rat. Turns out, they have wood bins on the patio the mice seem to like to nest in. Sure 'nough... some Tree Guard in the nest. Mapped their little road way. Researching some sort of natural deterrent, and under Rob's suggestion from chicken farm experience, we made a tobacco tea. Soaked the cabling in it for 24 hours and dried it. Filled some spray bottles. Rodents don't much care for tobacco residue and nicotine is pretty damn toxic. Hopefully this and cutting out their little highway to the roof will fix the little buggers. Dealing with nature lovers here, so killing little momma and baby mice is not an option. Sure enough, she showed me a new nest in the wood bin, new cushions for the chairs are on order and after the babies get bigger and rehomed to the woods, the wood bins are goner. Some fodder. You can see why the limbs cabled are important to the deck (two stories up) ambience. The Valley Oak, Quercus lobata, is 48" approx DBH and about 85' tall. I know I need my 200 foot rope with a basal tie SRT to work it. Some nice callousing going on as well on some of the older pruning cuts, 4 years maybe. IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0343.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0350.JPG

I'd be curious to hear their rationale. I think I'd prefer wire rope. You can use smaller diameters, and it would be more invisible.

Some of it is keeping up with the Joneses. I did an install for a neighbor, they lijed my work. They consider drilling holes invasive. The tree IMO will do better with our mono winds and snow with a more dynamic system like installed. Allow it to move some.
We'll see how it all pans out.

I can buy the 'no holes' part. Couldn't you use a wire done in a rope style(loops instead of anchors), or is that not done?

edit:
Assuming 'give' in the system isn't desired, as it is in your case.

A 1950s movie star found his acting prospects dry up during the radical 60s, and he tried to get work where he could. Opening the classifieds one day, he saw a help wanted ad for Davey, and his life was never the same afterward...

:^P

Good pics :^)

A 1950s movie star found his acting prospects dry up during the radical 60s, and he tried to get work where he could. Opening the classifieds one day, he saw a help wanted ad for Davey, and his life was never the same afterward...

:^P

Good pics :^)

My reaction exactly!

Good one!

Seriously we get pretty beat up just like the trees. My dad was a master timber framer/sawyer and logsmith (log home builder/live edge timber framer). He taught me to have an appreciation for many different approaches. Japanese jointery, Norwegian/Swedish log houses, Italian baita, Korean temples, Hawaiian hale... The same goes for working with living wood/trees! The pollard if done in proven species is fascinating. If that ain't enough try coppicing. I have done it to more than a couple of alder trees.

What I personally find most frustrating is living in suburban PNW with the indigenous Douglas Firs, Hemlock, and Cedars that nearly everyone says can't be topped. I firmly believe that if so much deferred maintenance didn't go on here I wouldn't be removing so many trees. I just bought a new phone. With a working camera. So pictures will be forthcoming. I just removed a codominant DF that had one side reaching 85' and was only 30yrs old. The growth rings were fat. The tree was ugly, poorly maintained (somebody limbed it up to lift the skirt off the roof of the old 2 story farm house probably back in '07 when the houses inflated value would have warranted "tree work/maintenance"). I hate to see people waste resources and turn everything in a removal into chip or firewood but this wood was true junk. Each half of the codominant was 28"dia. I got to do cool pruning and heading back in Hawaii not here, yet. Just another rant 🤪

Rant away.
It is interesting to hear your take on things, rant or not.

This old friend saddened me today. Lady HO has hooked up with a boy friend that loves the ride on lawn mower. Both are getting up in years, so maintenance is an issue when it comes to fire safety. However, I just feel somethings need left alone to some point of minimalist.
I have been pruning only the lower portion of this crown for a time and keeping more of a screen from the neighbors and hideaway nook.
Just pruning the low limbs so as you can get in, the shade and leaves keep the grasses to a minimum (shaded fuel break) and limbs running the ground help support some of the horizontal limbs.
SO crown raise was the work to be performed no matter how I tried to keep the mower out from under the tree.
Center stem is about 36 DBH for reference.
Befores IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG

Well. you did a good job with it anyway. It looks pretty good. For me, "lawn mower access" is a non-starter regarding trees. I give no consideration to grass, and that's what I'd remove if there was a conflict.

Back