BEEEZZZZZ!

I had a reg'lar honey bee get up my sleeve this past week. I grabbed my shirt at the shoulder & had it trapped, but the next step to getting it out was... continue to hold my left shoulder, use my knees to get my left glove off, & wrangle my way out of the T-shirt. I was on site alone, but I wouldn'ta cared who saw me do it !!! Shirt shook out, bee bummed out, shirt back on & back to work !

I had a bee climb up my shorts once.

Swelling......wife........happy.........

took a drink from a straw one summer sucked a bee into my chops, felt the odd wiry little legs and spat the beeotch out toot sweet, got lucky and no sting.

Had a buddy when I was about 8 that got into a nest, had about 30 stings when he was done but he said the worst thing was his momma taking to his nether regions with a rolled up newspaper to evict the hornets!!! yowza!

Yeah he's a pretty tough kid. We make a point of not babying him. Seems to be working out.

It DOES work out, IMHO...that's what we've always done.

But be careful....I used to JOKING say to the kids "don't you dare bleed on the rug" when I was doctoring their bloody boo-boos, just to kinda lighten the moment. One evening I brought my son into the ER to get his eye-brow stitched up.....he was really upset....not because of the pain, or the upcoming needle....but instead, he was heartbroken that he BLED ON THE RUG!!! :( I felt horrible and never said that again.

When I was about 7 I climbed a tree next to a barn to get up on the roof. After tiring of the view I decided that the bushy tree not fun climbing so I looked for a better way down. Dad had piled a couple bales of straw next to the barn that looked like a good landing platform. That landing part worked fine but the yellow jackets that had built a nest in the bale objected. 14 stings on my shirtless back. I did get a bit of a reaction but nothing serious. Yellow jackets still seem to have the most wallop to me.

My bro worked with a bucket flyer who was a bit of a dickhead, especially mean to the Mexican workers. The day Murray was attacked by bees, nobody said an unkind word. After he pulled away in the bucket truck, the Mexicans put on quite a reenactment of the scene, complete with heavy accents :
"Dey BEEZ, oh hoh ohhh ! Dey beez, dey beeezzz!!!" KMS didn't say a word, just grinned & shook his head.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crazy!!! 20 degrees this am...found a Honey Bee hive in the second removal.....abandon ship!....Going back in the AM to capture the hive for a local bee keeper. Going to lower the limb, wrapped in burlap. 25 in the am so they won't be flyin around I hope.

I opened the cavity with a saw by only a quater size hole...they began to fill it quick. The honey in the limb cut tasted great.....from what I understand, ferrel hive are beeecoming rare. no pun intended

pics tommorrow

We had a die-off a couple years ago, but they seem to making a comeback. I know 4 bee trees right around my place. Good to see. They are very cool insects. (Unless they are trying to sting you) I think they will try and defend their tree no mattler how cold it is. Do you have a insect net for you face. That and gloves and you should be good.

We had a die-off a couple years ago, but they seem to making a comeback. I know 4 bee trees right around my place. Good to see. They are very cool insects. (Unless they are trying to sting you) I think they will try and defend their tree no mattler how cold it is. Do you have a insect net for you face. That and gloves and you should be good.

yeah....I have a hood....no gloves though

Good for you for working to save the hive. I've had 4-5 hives just this year (more than I've seen in the last 5) but I don't have the resources to save them. And I'm usually only seeing the tree for the first time on removal day so there's never any time to make other arrangements.

But the good news is that I've found a bee guy locally so when I run into my next one, hopefully I can do what you're doing and attempt to save the hive.

many bee keepers here.....I did stop the removal, which cost time....= money. Sucks but it don't happen often. In the same tree a flying skerwl. Haven't found a nest, but it landed in an adjacent Silver Maple with plenty of hollows to survive......fricken Wild Kingdom tree I tell ya...

Anybody ever watch flying skwerls at night? Last fall my son and I climbed up in the oak tree they were in and they would get right up next to us. It was really fun and we were looking forward to them returning this fall but it didn't happen.

so, I caught the bee hive and set it up in the yard. A beekeeper friend helped me out with the gear and the know how. He laughed everytime I was stung.....asshole:X..Oh well they hurt way less then Hornets.

The hive will be fed during the winter in hope of a swarm next spring. These bees have been in the tree for several years so the hope is they are "mite" resistant.

I wrapped the spar in burlap with bungees...then lowered it onto a log dolly(first time I have used it in awhile). Trucked it home.

Cut the top off level and covered with Plywood. Tommorrow I will place a honey super on top, to feed and collect the honey....I hope.

kids love it and heck, why not try. First pic is looking through the burlap, a bit blurry. The next is the log on the dolly during transport.

Next is prepping thew hive, cut and cover. Next is trying to get them back into the hive......success so far.

and of course a movie clip looking through the burlap...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvBwpppK9pQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SvBwpppK9pQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I know......most folks do. My buddy said wild hives are on a serious decline. So what the heck.....mine as well give it a shot, they were doomed anyway since I slayed the tree:evil:

That's friggin awesome! Ha funny Ross bein' all, "that's cool, but I don't know about all that"

Back