BEEEZZZZZ!

Don't ya' just love how you're milling about around there nest, not even the slightest idea they're there, then they send out a few bumpers to warn you. And if you don't notice the ones that bounce off you a few times, they then send out the calvary!:\:

bee movie was cool. :) even us growed ups got a kick out of it, you might have a different thought about the little buzzers if you see it

the one I pictured, yup a few times over the years. I flick the bugger off wherever its stinging me, go to the truck and jam the device on, usually within 15 or 30 seconds you can see the stinger and a teensy drop of clear fluid (I assume the venom). take it off, wipe with ammonia and carry on. minimal swelling and pain after. Was a 10 dollar trinket at a camp store years ago.

Don't ya' just love how you're milling about around there nest, not even the slightest idea they're there, then they send out a few bumpers to warn you. And if you don't notice the ones that bounce off you a few times, they then send out the calvary!:\:

How very true!

This is why I get such a good laugh out of the people that tell me there's no need to carry a climbing line in the tree. A lot guys around here will just use 2 fliplines during a removal, saying they don't like the rope getting in the way. Can you imagine having to spur climb all the way back to the ground while getting a zillion stings?!?

WTF...no rope?:what:

Yep, I climbed with an old school crew this week... they didn't like me cuz I used a lifeline on a pine tree removal (had to lower every piece) and I actually expected to use a block to catch the stem chunks. They wanted me to leave stubs to natural crotch the top and the blocks.... I don't think they liked me foot locking either.

How do these old school guys get their saws refilled with gas and oil? Or is the takedowns all done on a single tank of gas? I like to have a rope in case I need to send the saw down or a new one up. I would hate to have a saw get pinched in an almost completed cut (I know that has happened at least once to the best of us) and then have to climb down to get another saw.

When I first helped someone fell an Oak, it was back in 1988. Mannila rope, 3 strand. The guy was totally old skool. Then again, there wasn't much in the way of tech. advancement like we have today. Gotta love how alpine climbing gear crept it's way over to the tree care industry... What a great marriage!

I get stung every year atleast a half dozen times... just goes with the territory.
Got stung on the nose & lip by a guard, screamed & it fell in my mouth. Two more stings on the roof of my mouth. Bald face hornets can sting multiple times & they also BITE.
Good thing I ain't 'lergic !!!

I was just about to start a thread about bee's but since this ones already going I'll do my bitching here.;)

I don't know what it is about this year but I've had to tango with bees, hornets, and wasps way more than previous years.... and they're really pissing me off!!:X I've had a bunch of big crane removals lately (at least 1 a week for last 5 or 6 weeks) and there's been hives in most of them. I get stung here and there but it usually irks me off more than anything else.... until yesterday.

We craned out a spooky cottonweed and a waisted elm without any problems. The crane was gone by 11:00 and all that was left was to prune an elm and a willow. As I was making a few cuts from the ground with my polesaw I got stung by 2 of em at the same time.... in the face. 1 on the cheekbone and 1 just under the jaw line, both on the left side of my face.:X

Normally getting stung just pisses me off for a bit and I'm over it. Not this time. Within 5 minutes I noticed the bottom of my feet were itchy... then my palms.... then all over. A rash started going up both arms and my face was red. I was starting to worry that it was going to effect my breathing next so I had a groundie drive me to the ER, just in case things got worse.

I haven't had to go to the ER or any doctor in several years but this was the 1st time a sting actually had an effect on me so off to the ER we went and it's a good thing we went when we did!!! As soon as we left I started feeling feverish and woosey. We got about 1.5 miles down the road and my eyesight went from fuzzy to gone in moments.:\: It was weird, my vision didn't "blackout"... it went whiteout instead. For about 5 minutes all I could see was bright white and my driver didn't know how to get to the ER.:O

Fortunately I was able to keep my composure and not panic. My vision started coming back so I could tell my driver where the damn ER was and once we arrived it was back.... thank God!! They checked me out.... gave me an IV of benedryl and 2 tylenol.... kept an eye on me for 45 min or so and I was out the door and back on the job.:)

So um, yeah.... I'm REALLY disgusted with bugs that fly and have stingers for the rest of the season!!

and they only get meaner as the season goes on. i went all last year with out getting stung, managed to get a wasp sting on my hand last sunday so my streak is over.
glad to hear you had the sence to head to the er just in case doc:thumbup:

I'm glad I did too Willie! The shat kinda hit the fan in a hurry.

Last week I was picking blueberries in the yard with Woody my 3 year old son. Rufus our dog decided to excavate a yellow jacket nest. I got a couple of hits so scooped Woody up and took off. Woody got the first sting of his life, on his tongue! :whine: 5 mins later when he quit crying he kept saying " Spicey spicey!":lol:

I got stung by a wasp on my tongue when I was a kid. Hurt like hell! I was drinking a glass of soda or juice, something with ice in the cup. I had drained the cup and had it tipped up trying to lick the last of the juice off the ice cubes. I guess the ice rattling set off the wasp and he flew in and nailed the side of my tongue.
:whine:

Ya'll don't wanna know what it feels like up the nose...
Was riding my bike once to work and inhaled one... OMG
That friggen hurt,,, and you can't get them out ya nose fast enough... 3 stings and I looked like I was in a brawl... OUCH
Meat bees (paper wasp) they nasty here and dont like when you brush on them and step or run the brusher over their nest. I was followed and stung multiple times till I got 100 feet from the nest... I could not even approach the nest all day as they leave a phermone on ya...

Back