base anchor option

kevin bingham

TreeHouser
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JuUfPRSuIqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Appears complicated, fiddly, and time-consuming. (to a guy that is happy using a zigzag)
Wouldn't a portawrap accomplish the very same thing, with none of those disadvantages?

mac2-720x641.jpeg

This is my go-to. Picture from the TB article. Generally, rather than a delta, I just tie a couple half-hitches.

The perk that I see of Kevin's idea is that while lowering during an emergency, dropping the rope (whistle-stop test, blow whistle, everyone let's go) is an option without dropping the climber, provided the hitch cord will release under load, which it should since there is a lot of NC friction at the redirection point.

IF there is a rescue situation, I'm not too worried about the whistle-stop test.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't say I am any the wiser and I climb SRT on a daily basis.

I don't see the advantage over a regular basal tie option.

whats a regular base tie option?

this option is quick, its lower able, and adjustable. thats all. most of the time I don't use two ropes but in this tree I needed two ropes because my 200 footer was too short.

What I like too is that if I go through a lot of redirects, my ground guy can quickly add more rope into the system without having to undo any important components.

Appears complicated, fiddly, and time-consuming. (to a guy that is happy using a zigzag)
Wouldn't a portawrap accomplish the very same thing, with none of those disadvantages?

I would find installing a portawrap on the tree much mor fiddly and time consuming. all this involves is putting a prussic on the rope, clipping it and your good to go. no lugging around a heavy portarwrap and a sling. Im surprised you would think this is more time consuming than installing a portawrap?. did it really seem complicated? man to me this is easier than tying a running bowline!

Granted I am not a srt guy but I understand the principles, I watched twice and didn't fully understand it. I understand Sean's set up from the pic alone.

I want to understand your vid.

your right, a video made something super simple seem more complicated than installing a portawrap. total failure. should have just posted a picture

Ok, so if you need more rope to redirect etc, your groundie just unties the stopper knot there and uses the prussic to let more rope slide thru the clevis and up to you, then retie another stopper as back up?? If I'm right on that, wouldn't you want the clevis so rope isn't rubbing on the pin which could possibly roll the pin open? Instead put the pin on the eye which stays stationary? Sorry if I'm way off here!

you cant roll the pin out as its not threaded. Its a double locking quad action slic pin. When used as a canopy anchor, the rolling action even helps a bit on retrieval. The quickie is very fast. like I said I can do this set up faster than a running bowline especially since I can adjust it so quickly. sometimes Ill tie a running bowline and then decide I want more rope or less rope and then have to untie. this is so fast to get it right were you want it. The only important thing is to orient the slic pin so it is not pointing into the trunk. in case of an emergency, you could be lowered using the prussic and the friction from the tree as well.

Ok, I capiche re the pin.

So what I was saying above makes sense?

If so, I'm not sure where that second rope in your vid fits into your single pic above?

That is cool. So you designed the shackle and Nick got it built?

this tree was well over 100 feet. my second rope is tied above the rope you see in the picture. I think that complicated things too the fact that I had to tie two ropes together to make this climb happen. its rare that my 200 footer doesnt work. having a second rope there also makes rescue a possibility if thats a concern.

yes. Nick really made it happen. we have been working on this for over a year.

Ok, thankyou, that makes sense.

I couldnt really tell from the vid what knot you used to join the 2 ropes. Thanks!

just an overhand. that is my preferred method of tying to ropes together. its easy to remember, reliable and passes through crotches easily

Ha, rewatching the vid it is obviously an overhand, but, idk, I was confused:|:

So that knot unties ok when you want it to after putting climbing weight on it, but completely trustworthy, eh?

OK cool, I just saw the link you posted, thanks!

Damn that is kinda cool, an ultra simple knot/application that is brand new to me.

Back