Bark growth identity

rskybiz

TreeHouser
Anyone come across this on live oak? Only tree I have seen and I would like to know more about it.
y8ybyber.jpg

ymevu2av.jpg

Joel are you talking about the gold colored lichen, or the rough bark? Neither rare ime tho the bark condition puzzles me a bit too.

The whitish stuff at the edge of the smooth area could be Aleurodiscus 'smooth patch' or some other bark fungus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joel are you talking about the gold colored lichen, or the rough bark? Neither rare ime tho the bark condition puzzles me a bit too.

The whitish stuff at the edge of the smooth area could be Aleurodiscus 'smooth patch' or some other bark fungus.

The bark is what puzzles me, I have seen some with a similar state but the depth of this bark is far more than any previous encounters. Going back this afternoon I'll get some closeups.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=137507919625288

Pics 1 and 3 look funky but if tissue under bark is good then no problem?

Not uncommon in olllld trees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Old indeed, and healthy beneath. Just stikes me as peculiar thing and wanted to know more about causes ect.
Not sure if I'll get a response but I sent a email to Ed Gilman at UF to possibly get some more scientific info.
It's location said to me that a possible reason may have been a reaction to shield sun scald. But this is just my thoughts.

The sun theory is a good one. Re UF maybe contact pathology extension.

Back