Bad saw cut pic...not for the squemish!

Tarzan

TreeHouser
Thought I would share this pic of a buddy of mine and his recent injury:

563348_557986067554590_1821223614_n.jpg

Anyhow, I don't know the story, other than it is a chainsaw cut. Knowing him (being a badass timber faller) and a tough son of a gun, he was probably running a modded 088 or 084 and it kicked back hard. I had an 88 kick back hard one time whilst putting in an undercut on a big redwood, and it dang near tore my thumb off. Just a reminder to mind the bar tip!

Christ, He's hopefully badass enough to bounce back from that.

Dang, that's a gash. Mind the Tip is right... Thank you for the picture.....

Cody, I'm running a chainsaw safety course next saturday for a bunch of firewood cutters and wood turners.
Do you mind if I make a print-out of that picture to show them.?

One picture says more than a thousand words, which in this case would certainly be true.

It's a great (very very unfortunate) example of what kind of medical attention one could expect in the field in our profession.

In order to prepare for worst cases.....

That wound looks very clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Christ, He's hopefully badass enough to bounce back from that

Trust me, he is :)

Cody, I'm running a chainsaw safety course next saturday for a bunch of firewood cutters and wood turners.
Do you mind if I make a print-out of that picture to show them.?

One picture says more than a thousand words, which in this case would certainly be true.

Go for it pard, something good to come from this is a good thing.

That wound looks very clean.

Surprisingly it does.

That's the underside of the forearm? I can't visualize how it could happen if both hands are on the saw.

But I see evidently it can.

My premise is the hands don't stay on the saw, the force of the kickback cause loss of grip...that's why it's so important to place thumb and fingers in opposition around the handles.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This guy has hands like a gorilla and the strongest grip of any man I have ever shook hands with. Like I said in my op, if it was a kickback, more than likely he was running a hot rod 084 or 088, with very aggressive chain. I lost a lot of grip strength for a few days after my bad kickback with my modded 088, and I did have my thumb wrapped around the handle, but that does not mean that a big saw like that can't rip the handlebar from your hands :)

BTW, I just read on his post that he cut into the bone and got some tendons, and has bone fragments all over in there. Sure hope he can get back out there quick, he has a kid on the way!

Of course you're right, Cody. The best grip in the world can be overcome by a saw like you describe in full kickback. Doesn't mean we should give up the advantage optimum thumb/finger placement offers, but there are no guarantees.

Sounds like pretty serious damage, I sure hope he can recover fully. Send him the very best wishes from the 'Housers.

I checked in on this thread just in time for dinner. Nice.

That's a hell of a gouge. Good luck to him that looks like it'll take quite some time to heal up.

That's rough, well wishes here for him. Thanks for posting, it is a very excellent safety reminder. Where was he working, Montana or PNW?

damn, I was just about to bitch about my recent separated shoulder. not anymore. hope he gets well soon

Damn.... that is gonna take some time to get back to near normal work.. Cut a lot of shat looks like... deep. Thoughts are wiht him... Be careful out there people!

Looks like way serious tendon damage...vasculature, too. It won't be a quick recovery. Probably several surgeries.

Back