Bad Gas!

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I have had two saws and one hedge trimmer go into the shop as a result of gas fouling the carburetor. In the past if I was going to let a saw sit for more than a month I would purge it of gas. Now it seems you can't leave fuel in your equipment over a few weeks. I am thinking of adding Stabil to all my fuel, in the saws, in my stumpgrinder and in my chipper. Any thoughts?

Most all of the mix oils have a stabilizer in them. Yeah this fuel sux, here in Missouri we went E-10 as of the first of the year. What I tell my customers is if you are going to store the unit for more than a month drain the fuel.

Are you buying gas with ethanol in it? The El Cheapo stations around here all have '10% ethanol' stickers on the pumps. I won't put that crap in my saws because it eats carbs. You're in the midwest where ethanol is a lot more prevalent. I'd recommend either avoiding ethanol for your equipment or else use a little extra mix oil and not keep the fuel around more than 30 days. Ethanol breaks down way too quickly.

I store my tools at a public storage type place, no flammables allowed so I have to drain all small equip each time I return it to the storage. major pain in the rear.

They are wasting my time. its their silly rule. ;)
and yes, they have checked once to see if the tank was empty.

that sucks paul, sorry you have bad gas darin. i use super and am not particular with oil brands and really havent had any trouble like that

I've had bad gas for some time now. I have tried dietary enzymes, eating different foods, and regular ingestion of yogurt but nothing has helped. I think I am becoming an old fart.

I just added Sta-Bil to my cans today. I haven't had any problems, I just just said "Hey, I'm going to put Sta-Bil in all of my gas today."

I know it isn't logical, but I guess I was just trying to make the gas even more expensive.

TS

I'm not sure Sta-Bil works on ethanol. Regardless, I would recommend sticking with a name brand premium gas (not the E-Z-MART) with a synthetic or semi synthetic mix oil (I'm currently using Stihl black bottle). The top name mix oils already have stabilizers in them. You can run the mix at 40-1 instead of 50-1 for an added measure of protection.

My little Echo blower is about 16-17 years old and is finally about due for a carb rebuild. I've never drained it and it sits for months at a time without getting used, then it always fires right up with the same 6 month old fuel in it. Luckily I can still get non ethanol gas here.

I've had bad gas for some time now. I have tried dietary enzymes, eating different foods, and regular ingestion of yogurt but nothing has helped. I think I am becoming an old fart.

Thats what I figured this thread was about, since Monkey started it. :lol:

I never do any draining and haven't had a problem except with my generator which had been sitting for 5 years. Drained the gas and replaced and it started first pull. I have a hedge trimmer that only gets used twice a year and it doesn't run very good but on the day that we use it it uses about 5 tanks of gas and runs worse on every tank.

That's what I thought it was about too. Maybe cause I am guilty of it so often, doesn't seem to matter what I eat. I can eat beans-cabbage-etc. ,,,no gas. People close to me have threataned to spike my food with Beano.

Well,about a half dozen pickled eggs washed down with a half dozen Pabst Blue ribbon will give anybody bad gas.:P

As for fuel,I'm guilty of not draining the saws when I should. No real problems other than having to clean out a few carbs.Fact is my S-25 Poulan sat for 6 months and fired on the 5 th pull a few days ago.I've never had the carb apart on that thing since I bought it new .

As for the oil,I've used just about any of them made but always at 32 to 1.Nothing wrong with 40 or 50 to 1 ,just my preference . The gas is usually premium .

I think the ingredients used in gas change from region to region. No one rule of storage will work for everyone

I have gone to using the highest octane fuel I can get, ussualy 91, for my pre-mix equipment. No problems so far. My weedeater sat all winter, I went to start it the other day, eight pulls and it lit off.
I do use sta-bil in my gen-set, but I also try and start it every other month also. I need to fire up my air compressor speaking of that!!
But honestly Darin, just stepping up to the premium fuels has help my equipment a LOT!!

My first course of action with a f**ked up engine is to dump the fuel, add a precise & premium mix, and change the spark plug.
I'm curious as to Steve's post about every tank getting worse on a little-used piece of machinery ???
What say you guru's about that ?

I'm curious as to Steve's post about every tank getting worse on a little-used piece of machinery ???
What say you guru's about that ?

I would say there is some crud either in his gas can and his gas tank.
I think there might also be a piece of crud in the carb, or several, and as the fuel runs through it breaks it/them loose and starts to plug the small ports in the carb.
These little two strokes, it doesn't take much of anything to plug up a carb.

I would say there is some crud either in his gas can and his gas tank.
I think there might also be a piece of crud in the carb, or several, and as the fuel runs through it breaks it/them loose and starts to plug the small ports in the carb.
These little two strokes, it doesn't take much of anything to plug up a carb.

I had better take it in now, before I need to use it. When we use it, we use it all day and it is the pits if it isn't running right.

I make like I'm going to work & it's really important. Then I run a half-tank thru my hedgers at full tilt to see if they're gonna give me grief. It's very empowering.
Then I dump out the gas, replace the spark plug & refill the tank with premium mix.
Rrrrrrrr !!!
I am WOMAN !

I make like I'm going to work & it's really important. Then I run a half-tank thru my hedgers at full tilt to see if they're gonna give me grief. It's very empowering.
Then I dump out the gas, replace the spark plug & refill the tank with premium mix.
Rrrrrrrr !!!
I am WOMAN !

I'll try that next. I am WOMAN ! Just practicing.:D

Back