Back up your ascenders

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bounce,

I definitely understand what you mean regarding the positioning needs that arborists have, that rock climbers do not have. And am starting to see that there are more differences than similarities between the two activities.

As for friction hitches and DdRT, I'm sure I'll give this a try, as there is lower risk doing this than other activities that I participate in. I don't think that I can buy into friction hitches being "completely reliable", but have no problem accepting that they are part of a peer reviewed climbing methodology.

Regards,
Scott

I don't think that I can buy into friction hitches being "completely reliable", but have no problem accepting that they are part of a peer reviewed climbing methodology.

Regards,
Scott

Nothing on this earth is 'completely reliable', friend. Even sitting at home on a Barkalounger has it's dangers. After all, you could be the victim of blue ice hurtling down through the heavens, smashing through the roof and killing you. All while you sit peacefully munching a burger and watching 'days of our lives' on the T.V. :)

Most PPE (like friction hitches), is not only a 'peer reviewed' technology, but also accepted/used because statistically the technology is proven to work reliably; many use it without incident, and have for many years.

Nothing on this earth is 'completely reliable', friend.

Frans,

Do please note that the term "completely reliable" was not mine. I am certainly not in disagreement with you.

Regards,
Scott

Welcome Scott, I'm another rock climber turned tree guy.

The two disciplines really are different but the high is the same. Sheer terror abounds when the conditions are right. Climbing DdRT is a pretty safe pursuit until you introduce saws and wood fiber under stress... falling really isn't the primary issue, it's being cut or hit by something. But falling, even a short distance is a pretty bad experience because you stop FAST... I recall that 'sore all over/been in a car wreck' feeling after about a five foot drop. It's not like a lead fall.

It's been years but we never backed up when jugging rope, it was two ascenders with etriers and daisy chains... in retrospect, tying in seems like an excellent idea.

The deal with trees is, everything is getting constant abuse. It took me a while to buy into triple action biners but after having a screw gate spin open and completely detach the other day, I'm glad I did (it was on a second TIP).

Rock climbing is great prep for tree climbing... tree climbing is technically easier but I swear I've never been so tired after climbing rock all day as I've been after standing on spikes and rigging wood for nine hours. It's a great job if you're a rock climber who's sick of working indoors all the time.

Shoot, I fell straight down about 10' and all it did was flip me around into a sitting position. I even held on to my saw. Nutting to it.

Me too, 110' up in a tulip tree, I was out and over my TIP, snapped a branch and slapped the trunk... right in the pills. It was over before I knew it was happening.

OUCH! But I am just sensative... LOL
Worst fall for me was only 4 feet out of a major crotch in a Bull Pine during a line transition..... Fricken felt like I was bent wrong.. Chiropractor loved me for money.. LOL

Last edited:
Back