Avenue of the Giants

So, why not have someone go in and fall those roadside hazards? I realize that those trees are in a National Park, but common sense tells me, with millions of tourists a year driving those roads... someone's gonna get squashed. Especially as old as those trees are, they aren't getting any younger. They may be awesome to look at, but I'd hazard a guess the majority of them are in decline, especially the ones by the roads, as their root systems are impacted negatively. Cheaper to fall a tree than to deal with any litigation that follows in the event of a squash.

I know I've said this before and I'm beating a dead gumbmint horse, but, it ain't that hard to figure out. It's too bad when rules were written to protect the remaining biggies, common sense got the door shut in its face.

Jameson...Although I would love to be the guy that got to fall them as hazards...it would never happen...you would have protesters from all over the world. A guy would have to hire a motley crew of armed guards to protect himself whilst he slept. I just know this from my experiences down there when we would get protested for trying to fall trees on private land, far from any public area, and view for that matter. It would be a circus!

Jameson, the cars on Avenue of the Giants are statistically a bigger hazard to people.
Especially since EVERYBODY driving that piece of road, are looking at the trees, not paying attention to traffic.

So, while tose cars may be awesome to look at, I'd hazard a guess the majority of them are in decline, rusted out and with failing brakes.

So why not outlaw them, rather than have to face litigation when they kill someone.
Way cheaper in the long run, I bet.

Another point, how about visiting the "Highway of the giants" before being wise about the state of the trees.

And maybe learning something about Redwoods, and the amount of abuse they can take, before going into " decline".

There are trees growing so close to the road, that they have overgrown the blacktop, but they are still young ( relatively) vigourous trees.

I've driven that road evry second year ( more or less)for over 30 years, and the amont of fallen trees and branches I've seen is small.

Back when it was a part of Route 101, the logging trucks was the real hazard. It was the main road for getting logs out of Humboldt County and those one log loads were nose to tail, when I first got there.
Along the sides of the road, redwood bark formed small drifts.

Being a young logger from Europe, it totally blew my mind.

But by all means, let us show how really hardcore loggers we are, and whack out the last Redwoods just so nobody can get hit by a branch.:lol:

Old growth doesn't live forever, ignorant to think otherwise.

And leaving humans out of that area? Wouldn't happen in a million years!

I get a little tired of the "Anybody who doesn't want to kill all the trees all the time" is a pinko wussie leaf licker attitude is all.
Having been a professional logger all my life, I have no use for that White/black attitude.
Ther are more facets to the thing than automatically yelling "treehugger" at anybody who protests logging the remaining oldgrowth, just because most of the protesters don't know their ass from a hole in the ground!

I get it that you are being somewhat ironic, but it doesn't seem to me that Jameson is.

Totally missed my point, Stig. But I've come to expect it.

Explain your point then.
Please.
We are sitting on the opposite sides of the world, trying to communicate.
It is obvious that a point will be missed, now and then.

But by all means, let us show how really hardcore loggers we are, and whack out the last Redwoods just so nobody can get hit by a branch.:lol:

I really really want to experience the falling of one of those giants (from a distance, of course). I can only imagine that hearing the incredible noise and feeling the ground shake would be a big rush!

Just a question Ger... When you were felling the big wood, did you feel like the ground shook as some people say it does. I have had people describe more shaking than I feel when a significant piece of lumber slaps the ground (no where near the scale you have). Remember that big oak I did last year, neighbors said the stem I felled shook the windows some 150-200 feet away. I hardly felt anything.
Maybe it is more because we are moving away from the tree. :dontknow:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
True enough, Stephan. If those big trees made any more sound that limbs breaking then you usually broke the tree. Best sound is none at all.

On the river flats the Cats building a layout a hundred yards away shook the ground enough that I could not take pictures in the low light with a tripod shooting at one second exposures.

The flats are like jello.

I've had the cops called on me for the thunderous thump of a FAT bull pine 36' log as it hit the ground.

The cop LOL'ed.

I wonder if anyone has set off a car alarm droppin a spar.... :lol:

I get the jello part Gerry. We have places like that here as well. As the faller, I don't feel or hear as much as bystanders I guess. Too busy thinking about and moving about.

It was the 'lil old lady across the street, we were in the backyard. She said her house shook and she thought a bomb went off.

I didn't really notice all that much, myself.

Heck, even on harder grown when we are dropping out 16 footers it will shake a house two or three down.

Remember that 14 footer on 36 Jer ? came down with a mighty crash !

I wonder if anyone has set off a car alarm droppin a spar.... :lol:

I get the jello part Gerry. We have places like that here as well. As the faller, I don't feel or hear as much as bystanders I guess. Too busy thinking about and moving about.

There is a youtube video that has the best big tree going over sound ever. I wish I could do a link, I am a little computer dumb, it is called 'Nother spruce hits the ground' and oh what a crunch!

Back