arbormaster training

They gave it to us at work. We hungout with The Rip.

Stanford, SF Golf course and another place....
It was great if you were just beginning, I picked up a couple things.
i had a good time. We were getting paid to go though....

The thing I don't like is the stepped approach.
You cant go to advanced rigging classes without first attending/achieving abc's and 123's of basic rigging or felling or whatever.
Time and money...

I took a two day course in Vancouver last Thurs/Fri. It's CEU's and a good chance to hang with some tree geeks. I went for dinner and drinks with the instructors, it was cool...we had a good time talking shop. Most of the folks in there came in with clean work clothes, if you catch my drift. Still, I had a good time and it was a good refresher course. I would recommend them, you'll always learn something...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They gave it to us at work. We hungout with The Rip.

Stanford, SF Golf course and another place....
It was great if you were just beginning, I picked up a couple things.
i had a good time. We were getting paid to go though....

You cant go to advanced rigging classes without first attending/achieving abc's and 123's of basic rigging or felling or whatever.
Time and money...

thats my point, not that I think I wouldn't learn anything in the felling and the climbing coarse that's alot of time and money to pay to get to the rigging

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if I read right around 1500 for 3 L1 classes plus missed time at work, and that's just to get to the rigging

My supervisor got a group called ART or ACRT or something to come to the site and do a day with us. Rigging A-Z

Of course I was on a six week wandering at the time when it happened, The guys on the crew said it was cool.
What a job, You supply the trees and equipment and someone comes and helps you see the forces...

!l

Time and money...

I found the same thing out when I inquired a few years ago.
Offered to provide documentation of other courses taken, pics of work I've done.......Nope!
So that was the end of that conversation.

I am sure it is about money but less sure that its greed.

Is Arbormaster really raking in the bucks? Are they a small business? I have no idea really but if I had to guess I would say they arent millionaires or anything.

I think they are like a mill that keeps grinding out a steady stream of entry level basic novices. Like giving beginners taking karate lessons a yellow belt. When the actual job in the real world requires a brown or black belt.
The graduates will have all their eyes dotted and tees crossed, and all the proper documentation to show that they can theoretically do such and such....slowly, and with great deliberation.

Maybe it provides a good basic foundation, but I think (just my opinion) that the Arbormaster folks have drunk the grape KoolAid, and are pretty set in their rigid think-it-to-death approach.
As far as a bigger bang for the buck goes, I would vastly prefer to take one of the technical rope courses offered by On Rope 1

Back