anyone using spliced hitch cord?

WoodCutr

Treehouser
I spliced up a 32" 10mm beeline e2e a few days ago, seems like a waste of cord, about 2/3 of the cord is much thicker and stiffer than normal

anyone have a use for spliced cords? maybe I will just use it for rigging, IDK yet

I used to have Nick splice mine. Loved it back in my Hitch Climber days. No need for it now with my set ups, and my lanyard is fine with fishermans knots.
Rope wrench set ups benefit from them.

Welcome! I'm just a hobbyist, but I like knots. Allows you to make small adjustments in length. I also can't splice, so there's that. Good splices are lovely to look at, and make a nice trim setup though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
im trying to find a hitch that actually works with it, the ends are so stiff that hitches just jam up

I have started using my retired hitch cords to install a fake Alpine butterfly in a transport tightening system.. some call it a z rig. When I want to do a tightening system I would always tie a butterfly and then put a carabiner in it and run the pull line back through the carabiner to tighten the load line. I started taking leftover hitches that I had retired but didn't throw away ... eye-eye hitches and instead of tying a butterfly, I wrap the hitches into a prussic and I can adjust it wherever I might need the Alpine butterfly. It's quick, easy, and gets good use out of hitches that I don't use for life support anymore. Makes sense?

I have started using my retired hitch cords to install a fake Alpine butterfly in a transport tightening system.. some call it a z rig. When I want to do a tightening system I would always tie a butterfly and then put a carabiner in it and run the pull line back through the carabiner to tighten the load line. I started taking leftover hitches that I had retired but didn't throw away ... eye-eye hitches and instead of tying a butterfly, I wrap the hitches into a prussic and I can adjust it wherever I might need the Alpine butterfly. It's quick, easy, and gets good use out of hitches that I don't use for life support anymore. Makes sense?
sounds like a good system to me

Yah, basically don't use spliced hitch cord since the SRT evolution. When I was, I preferred sewn eyes for the reason described above

I use sewn armorprus on my main system (SRT or DRT)

and tied on my lanyard, although im looking at getting some sewn cord for my lanyard, to clean it up, I already have enough stuff on my saddle snagging on stuff lol

Prussic for pulling. Sliding double fishermans almost big enough to be a foot loop. One end a small, but not a tight eye, the other a larger loop. Make prussik you can clip into. Then no friggen knots to try to undo. Or just put a porty in line. If you worked for me and put a knot in the middle of one of my rigging lines, i would give you a tongue lashing you would not forget.

I worked w some guys in Ceres that ran a knot thru the POW... they said the rope wasn’t long enough....

they hung a big piece of pine up.... amusing to watch... I still smoked then so I just smoked and waited in the shade of the stick....

good times.

spliced a few 8mm sirius hitch cord, the stiffening is a pain, but for long hitches worked really well
mine locks up on every hitch I tried

except the french prusik, that works well, which is why im considering using that with my 5 to 1

What splice did you do on the Beeline? The ones I've spliced in 8mm and 10mm firction cords have worked nicely and gripped well using either a Class 1 or locking brummel

locking brummel with a good burry, 6 or 7 inches

I followed Eric Forsman beeline tutorial (correct me if the name is wrong)

im trying to find a hitch that actually works with it, the ends are so stiff that hitches just jam up

Therein lies the reason spliced eye hitch cords suck...and accompanied by the fact that one cannot fine tune the length as one must be able to do, and can, with knotted eyes.

I firmly believe that the only reason spliced eye hitch cords exist is so that arborist supply retailers can make more money.

I firmly believe that the only reason spliced eye hitch cords exist is so that arborist supply retailers can make more money.
BINGO

I run sewn and tied cords, I preffer sewn for neatness, but when im experimenting with hitches I like tied

use tied to make a hitch that works, then buy a matching sewn one

I wish Nick Araya had a video on it. His eye to eye spliced beeline prussiks were the bees knees. Nice taper in the bury. Not terribly stiff. I experimented with length on the cord knotted so I could give him my desired meseaurment that worked for my VT on HC set up for my weight and climbing style.. I think I ordered 3 sent to the WCGTG in 09.
I hated retiring them. So I went back to knotted ends.

I've heard nothing bad about the stitched eye hitch cords (nor stitched eye climb line terminations, either). If you feel the need to have someone make friction hitch cords for you, and pay good money for the service, I guess those would serve you well enough.

But why? Tied end friction hitch cords have every advantage plus adjustability as they wear, and no downside, except maybe they don't look as cool to SOME people, I guess.

That's a pretty stupid reason to spend my hard earned money on climbing gear, I think.

I never untie/retie my tied eye cords, why would anyone do otherwise? I tie them up to my specific need length while rested at home, with plenty of tail to be bombproof. So there is no issue with fallibility based on error or fatigue, Deva.

Bulky? Not enough to bother about at all. That's just noise, imo. If that is a big deal for you, choose another path...we all get to make our own choices, based on what works best for each of us.

I just posted what I think, not what I insist every other climber must do.

I've heard nothing bad about the stitched eye hitch cords (nor stitched eye climb line terminations, either). If you feel the need to have someone make friction hitch cords for you, and pay good money for the service, I guess those would serve you well enough.

But why? Tied end friction hitch cords have every advantage plus adjustability as they wear, and no downside, except maybe they don't look as cool to SOME people, I guess.

That's a pretty stupid reason to spend my hard earned money on climbing gear, I think.
Back in 09, with my HC system, they were a treat compared to knots.
But now days, all knots.
Tie them how I want them.

Back