Anyone use Cougar blue?

Joezilla11

TreeHouser
Anyone climb on this? Looking at getting some new rope and I'm looking at this or bluemoon. Bluemoon/poison ivy is obviously liked but can't find much on the cougar blue.

Its difficult to splice I know that. The issue i,s that Cougar has changed a bunch a times, so it may be hard to get a unified idea of its performance.

It feels nice to me. I do really like Luna/Bluemoon. For me Sterling HTP 11mm is the perfect HitchHiker rope, but its definitely not for everyone and carries some caveats with climbing on it.

Butch, I guess that the Fly has gotten old enough for you and me to try it haha. It is a nice rope.....but so is Bluemoon/P.I., Blaze, Velocity and a host of others that I haven't tried yet. We have come a long way from manila.

Not familiar with Cougar, going to hitchhike on your thread here, sorry

...anybody have any opinion on Bluemoon vs Vortex?
I so need a new rope, now I'm using SRT about 3/4 the time and much taller trees I like the idea of double braid, and not keen on skinny 11mm.
My XTC fire 'flattens' out on SRT, and it's a bit tight to run through the Petzl basic. Not to mention the little nicks it has...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's a lot of ropes out there it's hard to choose. Http sounds like a good option for a static line. I've never looked into vortex to much but that's just because popularity seems to be with the others so unless I can try it out I'll have play it safe. Noticed treestuff has a new yale arrow frog line but it looks like it may just be a color change from blue moon.

Cougar is great, lots of guys like it, myself included. Not hard to splice at all. A few of the early batches were but now it's not bad at all. The bad thing is, like Nick mentioned, production is not consistent, that's a big problem of Donaghy's, their product is never consistent, and I mean not even a little bit. It can vary so widely, it's crazy. With that in mind, I'd recommend Yale Luna/Aztec/PI/arrow frog. All basically the same rope, very consistent, easy to spice, and great for DdRT and SRT.

I didn't realize Blue Moon was the same as Poison Ivy. If so, it's an excellent rope that works great for both SRT and DRT, and works marvelously with my HH.

The only reason I think I have to buy anything from Sherrill anymore is that they have Poison Ivy Pink. Awesome color!

I know someone else who sells the Pink Leon. Luke at Treestuff might be able to get it, but if not, check out Knot and Rope Supply. John can hook you up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe, I won't go as far as Butch and say that you won't notice the smaller diameter......I do notice and so I still have a love for the Arbormaster lines which are a FAT 1/2" and very easy to grip. However, the smaller diameter lines are not hard to handle. I consider the Bluemoon/ PI variants and the Fly ideal in this regard because they are enough bigger than a true 11mm to be easier to grip but run much better through hardware than the 1/2inch/13mm lines.......So with Fly or P.I you hardly notice the smaller diameter but you do notice the smoother running and lighter weight. Bonus for Fly is that with all of the new ropes it has become a cheap option.

Fi, I don't know about vortex, but I love my Bluemoon.
Since the only thing I didn't like about my P.I. was the colour, Bluemoon was an obvious choice.

...anybody have any opinion on Bluemoon vs Vortex?...

I can't help with the differences, having not tried Bluemoon, or even most of the others mentioned, but I can explain why I like Vortex for most of what I do. It is soft, smooth and fat, with great knot-ability and it is light for its size and strength; it has low elongation at its intended working load but is still capable of stretching when necessary.

Knot-ability is something that is, in my opinion, over-looked or just ignored too often. Aside from the obvious benefit of having every knot you tie form and work as it should, it is a great feature for a rope that is constantly in danger of being cut.

The " soft, smooth and fat " part does more than make it easy to grab and hold. It will increase the adjustment range of a hitch-based system. It seems many climbers are willing to forgo stability over a wide range of hitch types and lengths, for a more sporty and quicker release that you can get with a thinner and stiffer rope. For me if I want sporty, I jump on my motorcycle. For work, I want something that is stable over a wide range so I can focus on the work at hand without having to fiddle with or make adjustments to my climbing system.

Probably its biggest failing, though not its fault, is that it will not feed smoothly through many of the available mechanical rope grabs, as it is just beyond their size rating. I have switched to Climbing Technology's for both my foot and knee ascenders as they are rated for a full 13 mm.

David

I can't help with the differences, having not tried Bluemoon, or even most of the others mentioned, but I can explain why I like Vortex for most of what I do. It is soft, smooth and fat, with great knot-ability and it is light for its size and strength; it has low elongation at its intended working load but is still capable of stretching when necessary.

Knot-ability is something that is, in my opinion, over-looked or just ignored too often. Aside from the obvious benefit of having every knot you tie form and work as it should, it is a great feature for a rope that is constantly in danger of being cut.

The " soft, smooth and fat " part does more than make it easy to grab and hold. It will increase the adjustment range of a hitch-based system. It seems many climbers are willing to forgo stability over a wide range of hitch types and lengths, for a more sporty and quicker release that you can get with a thinner and stiffer rope. For me if I want sporty, I jump on my motorcycle. For work, I want something that is stable over a wide range so I can focus on the work at hand without having to fiddle with or make adjustments to my climbing system.

Probably its biggest failing, though not its fault, is that it will not feed smoothly through many of the available mechanical rope grabs, as it is just beyond their size rating. I have switched to Climbing Technology's for both my foot and knee ascenders as they are rated for a full 13 mm.

David

Yep, what David said, IMHO Vortex is the best rope out there, I have 200ft of bluemoon and its a good rope but Vortex has a better feel....I got 300ft of Vortex on its way for the big ponderosa pines, 200ft leaves me short :|:

Back