Anyone still using the APTA?

I couldn't agree more, Kyle. So many times I have made jobs go faster and safer by setting my line exactly where I wanted it, not just to what I could reach. Shots that would not have been possible with a hand throw.

Last edited:
No fooling: I get in from work TODAY and a friend from St. Petersburg, Florida tags me on a post...

Attachments

• 101E5D54-9FA7-47F4-AD9D-87B305B13874.png
    101E5D54-9FA7-47F4-AD9D-87B305B13874.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
I get your point Kyle, but I'm not out here changing the world or anything. So far my needs are pretty simple, and I have the luxury of time. I can do things the hard way, cause I'm out there doing what I want cause I want to. No one's paying me(my tree time at work is a bit of a peculiar case. I am getting paid, but it isn't time/efficiency dependent), and any tree I do is completely optional. Course me not doing it means I'd have to pay someone else, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just disappointing cause it's something I figure I should be doing.

I also like starting with the basics, even if it's only to learn them. That way you always have a fallback if the fancier gear fails. I'm pretty sure I could get myself into a tree with nothing but 200' of rope, and no metal hardware. I could build a rudimentary saddle with ropes and knots, and use the rest of the rope to get in the tree. Useless ability probably, but I /could/ do it, and that's kinda cool. It could end up being useful at some point. Maybe a prison break or something :^D

Yes. Ya know a triangle between the legs :/: or just a single line whipper with your strong hand by your side and a slipped half hitch for grip, etc.

I don't know what my good friend Scott does for hand throwing. He's a really talented man, so I would not be surprised that he has found success with a method that I have not...but for me the triangular hang, two handed, between the legs has been far more effective in both accuracy and range than a single line side throw.

Edit...Scott got in with his post while I was dallying over mine. And there you have it.

Yah, I'm terrible with a one handed throw. When I was trying it, I was using a 14oz weight which I figured is just too heavy for usual stuff, but I don't think a lighter weight would give me significant improvement. Going to two handed was game changing for me. I'm thinking it wasn't 90' game changing, but 60' should be doable.

I thought about making a throwball, but then I thought better of it. I bet they get caught up in branches all the time, no?

Guy got lucky. I bet you could pop an eyeball getting hit with something like that.

Truth. But not very much different with a "soft" throwbag of modern manufacture, so far as hazard to us tender humans...get hit in the face by one in a situation as Scott describes, and I promise you, you'll just as likely be needing a new eye.

I made one of my most stupid of errors in judgement once, and dropped a 14 ounce bag from at least 120 feet high directly down on the hood of a pretty solidly built 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 pickup.

No surprise, it made a seriously deep dent. It we let something like that hit some part of our soft organic structure...I promise you, it's gonna hurt badly...and pretty likely serious damage to match the pain :).

Last edited:
John, i get your point, but you are still missing the other upsides. You are teaching yourself how to climb, just as i did. When that's the case, you have to push your comfort levels and do something that might kill you based on what you read in a book or the internet. So, you don't push too hard, and rather than climbing up in the small stuff needed to on deciduous trees to get a proper climb line angle, you will always be too far down, because you can't actually try a tip from the ground and actually see what will actually hold you.

Scott, that's insane to me to be able to consistently hit that by hand, that's awesome.

Scott is good, no doubt about it, Kyle.

But if you want to have your socks blown off you might do as I did once, and attend a national level tree climbers competition.

I watched Beddes Strasser in the finals make a hand toss of just over 130 feet to a small target, just one try. I bet he could have done it 9 times out of 10.

I earlier in the comp also watched Kevin Bingham make a really fine throw at a tiny target, at least 70 feet, but then get crossed up in tangles clearing it to make points. His talent is also world class.

We mere humans will never be able to come close to matching the gods.

Therefore, I am a serious BigShot aficionado. Levels the playing field between me and them :).

i find few things more satisfying in life than hitting a crotch. its one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. i use a two handed basket throw. recently started using 10 oz bags with 1.5 mm kite line. used to always use 12 oz.

I mostly hand throw, but I know my limitations. Big shot comes out and gets it done. Especially those high tight tough shots that have to punch through. I do a lot of conifers that often require that tight though close to the stem shots. Or those high velocity ricochet shots to get more than one bole in them.
My APTA expwrience was limited.
One of my guys, who often just needs to buy something new and shiny, got one. He was sooooo proud. "Boss, youve got to try this he said". I did. Of course i missed my first couple shots and was getting annoyed with pumping it back up. So I left him to it to set his own line. I picked up the big dhot and was setting two and almost had a third to his one.
My analogy was this.
It needs to be powered by a charge cylinder like for paint ball guns. Too much pumping between sets will also throw your shot. Also a trigger valve would increase accuracy. Electric. Push button, valve opens.
Pullingba ball valve Open also can throw your shot.
So I never bought one. Never saw the need.
Oh yes, if you shoot that bugger and dont catch the line proper, yes, your weight can land the next property over...... :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What's the best way to mount the laser? Zip tie it? Any good way to sight it in? I feel like I'd be chasing my tail trying to adjust it with each shot. The one Dmc linked to had an estimated shipping time of 10 to 13 months. They had a different one for $79 in stock.

I was thinking of iron sights. It's my preferred way of shooting rifles. More artistic, and nothing to break.

It would be simple to affix a picatinny rail with zip ties or pipe clamps, possibly with a bed of JB Weld for added security. Should be easy to find a laser that would attach to that. I definitely recommend a green laser. Don’t know why, but it surpasses red hands down.

I may try one of these myself...Pinty Hunting Rifle Green Laser Sight Dot Scope Adjustable with Mounts

The chlorophyll absorbs the blue and red wave lights to catch their energy, but doesn't know what to do with the green, which is rejected.
If you don't hit some bark, the red laser can just almost disappear in the leafs (like blood turns black on the green surgical fabrics). On the contrary, most of the green laser is reflected on the leafs and therefor stays more visible.

I used two sided tape underneath the picatinny rail and then used zip ties to lock it down.

For getting the laser in line with the bore you will need to rotate the entire APTA. Two Vs cut in a cardboard box works well. Set it up about 25 yards from a wall that has a sighting mark. Turn on the laser and spin the APTA. The laser will most likely make a large circle on the wall. Your goal is to make adjustments to get that circle as small as you can. When you do, it will be bore sighted.

Figure out how you are going to hold the APTA, and set the laser so it sits either on top or directly under the bore. With it being at the 6 or 12 position, you will have better luck at judging drop on long or semi-horizontal shots, knowing that the green dot is where the bore is pointing but not necessarily the path the bag will take.

The nice thing about the laser is you are not forced to hold the APTA close to your eye like you would a rifle. I brace mine against my hip and that seems best for me.

Last edited:
The nice thing about the laser is you are not forced to hold the APTA close to your eye like you would a rifle. I brace mine against my hip and that seems best for me.
After I made my comment about the iron sights, I was thinking a laser might work well using it like a mortar. Bracing on the ground should be a rock steady mount.

Ooo, nice, I didn't think of that, was wondering why a laser, doh!

Back