anyone passing thru Nov, or Dec?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok, well actually we are doing end weight reduction on huge monterey pines that have long reaching bowed latterals...and killing 51 of their neighboring pines

so besides jp's friend i think im in it alone...so far the plan is to use most my crew on other jobs while i do this one with a rope man, and stack it all day, for the guys to come help for like a 2 hour power chip at the end of each day, got 2 land clearing jobs that just cam in as well, told 1 he may have to wait, hope he doesnt go else where, its always cash with him

I gave a head's up to cowboy, he sounded interested. I gave him your number so you will probably be hearing from him. If you get him out there, I can vouch for him he WILL make you money.

jp:D

this job sucks,
but it is going,
the mngr keeps telling us to do shit thats not in the contract..like leave some chips on the bank, which corporate didnt like.... so i had to load them all up,..by hand
and the pine cones that went thru a roof...that was cute...roof was so thin i didnt even want to try tot put plywood on it
and my favorite slow motion move of the job, after roping all the trees in 1 section to 20 ft sticks, the faller came in and put them down, last one hits a old tiny ass stump that was out of site in a blackberry mound, breaks the tip off the log, and then slowly rolls its way down hill and stabs slowly thru the wall of a trailer and pops out just below her medicine cabinet..
oh and that siding isnt made anymore so she gets a whole new bathroom re paneling job..the guys were afraid the trees would roll so they had the butt choked off to another stump, its just that when the tip broke off, it was no longer long enough to stay behind the remaining trees and did the slow turn and slide, the butt stayed up hill, the newly broken tip, made a cute hole.....so anyways 2 g later the homes are fixed, we have 12 sheets of plywood for roofs and at least 20 for the sides of the bldgs, we are plywooding us a path in, out, and over every roof now, takes time but that was my $

so jp how is the pregnant gf?

its a killer besides my other jobs, im solid into jan now, been thinking of having cowboy over, but its been hectic, groundies getting sick, just when ya got two crews your back to 1, so im just pacing myself...maybe i'll make enough $ to go look at steve's tow behind grinder

Sounds rough Dave, hope you have good money on it, then you can smile when the check comes in

Tough numbers to reckon with, Dave. Like 1980 wages. Hell, that's the norm today though. Few guys I know working in the woods are doing much better. It's a f'n depression.

your right er, the fallers in my neighborhood say this is similar to 1970's pay

but i'm glad to just be booked out and just making it all happen

i'll be ok if there are no more incidents..i allowed for a bit of trouble...only a bit though...hope the reward is worth the effort

yup,
so we are just plugging on along, i think it will make it taste sweeter when its over,
yesterday was especially frustrating cause we dumped a load of chips for a rancher down the road, who called back and said to take em away cause they came from the trailer park, and i didnt let them dump over here
and the other neighbors not allowing us access to their property to trim the trees, because they want them removed, no removal, no access, they dont like the park either...seems the parks mngmnt/ownership mustve pissed everyone off, so i think its a karma job, all the bad is meant for the mngmnt, but we are the vessell for that anger, to travel thru, i guess the key is to let it flow thru and not get stuck inside me,

i got so mad yesterday, i had to leave the site for awhile, came back at the end to rope down some big wood

1st night in a long while where i wanted a beer after work..which turned to 2, and dinner, and asleep on the sofa

on the plus side we are as on schedule as a guy could ask of his crew.....the day continues

You need to develop a chip dumping policy like I have. 1. Confirmation from the landowner that chips are allowed to be dumped where they are being dumped. 2. Once they're dumped that's it, they're no longer mine.

It's always good to be busy, the busier you are the more things that will 'happen' imo.

yeah squish, i usually have no problems with dumping,
the 1st with the mngr vs corporate i can understand, but the old rancher, he's just being stubborn cause he hates the trailer park...so he will never get another chip as long as i do trees
so yesterday went fairly smooth, no damage and i got my count for the day, climber was sick so i climbed and set up a sweet spar pole and rigged 4 or 5 trees off of it, just got to take down the pole tree now, and a couple others we used the same way....glad it went better yesterday..
oh and a buddy of mine showed up to get some wood, said this is too much work, only to return with a 20 ft trailer on a 550 with a rubber tracked mini ex..so now things are moving a bit more smoothly
there are blessings hidden amongst the challenges

Back