Anyone need a chip truck??

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 6K
In one of those trucks... how hard would it be to put air brakes in to replace the hydrolic ones?

Huge PITA. You would need an air compressor, new axles, replace the brake pedal with a treadle valve, and untold wiring and plumbing hurdles.

Yes new axles. Air brakes use an Scam system and external air cans. Air brakes are way better then juice brakes. If you loose air, you stop moving, and the parking brake feature is also many times better than hydraulic.

Yup, very few (if any) parts are interchangable so you'd basically be building the brake system from scratch.

Al, holy sheep chit those are expensive!

Oh ya gotta remember when old Al the dumpster diver says something it seldom refers to new . Ya gotta find those treasures in bone yards for trucks .;) Then you negotiate the price .

On a similar subject ,one of my buds ,Ronnie B who owns a welding /repair shop needed a "soft start " electic motor starter for one of his overhead cranes .The best price he could find was over 800 bucks .Good old Al found a used one for 25 smackers . You have to be either resourcefull in this life or have a lot of money .I guess my life style has kind of forced me to be the former rather than the later .;)

Oh ya gotta remember when old Al the dumpster diver says something it seldom refers to new . Ya gotta find those treasures in bone yards for trucks .;) Then you negotiate the price .

On a similar subject ,one of my buds ,Ronnie B who owns a welding /repair shop needed a "soft start " electic motor starter for one of his overhead cranes .The best price he could find was over 800 bucks .Good old Al found a used one for 25 smackers . You have to be either resourcefull in this life or have a lot of money .I guess my life style has kind of forced me to be the former rather than the later .;)

But what's the advantage over manual line locks? Neither are approved, rated, or intended to be or replace the parking brake.

I have the driveline parking brake on my truck. The one that came with the Allison tranny is twice as big as the one that was on the manual transmission and actually works pretty well. When I farmed I had a Cat D-5B that had a line lock. You pulled a lever up and then stepped on the brakes and they stayed on. The only time we ever used it was if you were hooking up to something and didn't want the tractor to roll after you got off of it. Jonsared I have never had a truck with wheels on it like your chip truck has. How do they work for changing the tires and stuff?

Carl, I'm not sure I fully understand your last question, but I'll give it a shot. Air brakes have two systems involved to make them work. You have to have air to pull the brake springs off, these springs are only in axles that have Maxi cans, and never on the steer axle. Once the Maxis have been pulled off, in order to stop, you have to have air pressure to actuate the Scams. When the Maxi cans are applied, it is your parking brake, and it is as powerful as applying the service brakes. They are intended for parking. Air brake trailers will have Maxi's on one or both axles as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the driveline parking brake on my truck. The one that came with the Allison tranny is twice as big as the one that was on the manual transmission and actually works pretty well. When I farmed I had a Cat D-5B that had a line lock. You pulled a lever up and then stepped on the brakes and they stayed on. The only time we ever used it was if you were hooking up to something and didn't want the tractor to roll after you got off of it. Jonsared I have never had a truck with wheels on it like your chip truck has. How do they work for changing the tires and stuff?

The Dayton style wheels??? No bigger pain than Bud styles. Most of everything I have ever owned had Daytons so maybe I am used to them.

we called those hollywood rims. wedges hold them in place, no biggie but you really have to torque them in the crisscross pattern

Hollywoods??? I wonder where that name came from?

Carl, I'm not sure I fully understand your last question, but I'll give it a shot. Air brakes have two systems involved to make them work. You have to have air to pull the brake springs off, these springs are only in axles that have Maxi cans, and never on the steer axle. Once the Maxis have been pulled off, in order to stop, you have to have air pressure to actuate the Scams. When the Maxi cans are applied, it is your parking brake, and it is as powerful as applying the service brakes. They are intended for parking. Air brake trailers will have Maxi's on one or both axles as well.

Ha the reason you didn't understand is because I was asking Al the advantage to the Maco Line Lock (electric and $1200) vrs 2 manual line locks ($120).

I understand air brakes, dad was a truck driver for 41 years :). Ever seen an unsuspecting (although not uninformed) retard take a can apart? Me neither, I'm already de-assing the area. :D

Carl, Mico makes a single lever 2 line line lock.

I use them on 1 tons/pickups to hold the truck down while grinding stumps.

I have had a few on larger trucks (rear axle only) and used them as parking brakes.

They are legally only a supplement but as long as your drive line parking brakes functions (even if it does not hold) it will pass DOT

My cousin told me that there isn't anything fixable by the average truck mechanic in a can. You just get another one.

You can change the pancake rubbers, but the time to safety screw them is not worth it. Easier to just change the whole can.

we called those hollywood rims. wedges hold them in place, no biggie but you really have to torque them in the crisscross pattern

That's what looks complicated to me. That maybe you could make the wheel wobble or something by not tightening them correctly.

Yes Steve you have to align them.

Back