Anyone in a band or play an instrument?

I found you another bass, Jim!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MVyvV0tOOjw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you prefer 24 strings...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ggNRXu1avDk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very nice rendition of "Sea of Heartbreak". I love oldies and that one doesn't get many plays so it was nice to hear it again.

Glad you enjoyed it.

One of my favorites to do. These guys know a ton of old stuff like that.

Well I'll be a monkey's Uncle!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/479-6WzYTgY" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Ryan!

And all you other drummers in the 'House -

My Remo Silent Strokes came in today! I slapped the first one on the 16 and was immediately disappointed. You can barely hear it!!! I was WTF? In the videos they sounded just fine but in front of me - BLEAGH!

I googled SS installation to see what I could find and the first vid I found solved the problem! God bless the Googles! I hauled ass to Lowes, did what the fella said to do and presto! More tone and more volume!!!

I can jump on my kit at 3 am now, if I want to. One thing I didn't do was install the kick SS head. I'm using the a Vic Firth pad for that one.

For anyone contemplating this mute kit, it has the MasterBlaster Seal Of Approval! My only regret is that they have to be installed, unlike the RTOMs that I was gonna get. However, this only give me an excuse for a second kit. One would be my loud kit and the other would be my quiet kit.

However, I may skip buying the Mapex just because my PDP is all I really need for my quiet kit. I may still get it though just because I'm so in love with the maple burl veneer.

It makes them quiet. You can have a conversation or play acoustically and hit them as hard as you want.

Nice tone and quiet.

Yea, this is way more realistic - nothing like a pad. The cool thing is if you're gonna keep them just for quiet practice drums, I'm pretty sure you can get away with an entry level kit like this no problemo.

My next purchase will be quiet cymbals.

Get you some!

Nice you are happy with your purchase but how is a crutch going to help your ability in the long run?

There is no reason I can think of why you should not be able to play under a conversation (even at high speed) without a gimmick muting the instrument, except inexperience. I've played with tons of drummers over the years and ALL the good ones had control over their volume through technique.

Learning to play dynamics (at different volumes) is a fundamental part of musicianship.

Do you install and uninstall them each time the dynamic range changes? i.e. your guitar player switches from the electric he used for the shuffle to an acoustic for the ballad coming up...it will be a softer song...now you need to install your drum mufflers....?

The quiet cymbals do look intriguing...but same concept...can't you just have more control over the force used on the piece?

Nope. You can't hold back when you're practicing. Playing quietly is a necessary skill but not one that you need much of the time. But you HAVE to be able to go from loud to quiet then loud again - as well you know.

Plus, as I said, these go great in an unplugged situation. I guess you've just gotta see/hear them to understand.

Not a crutch at all. If you read the entire post you'd see I'm still gonna get a loud kit.

It's just required that I rock!

That means I need more gear!!!

Back