Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

I like to vary the wraps, depending on the job. Evictions, single small branch, kite retrieval, or simple go up, and come back down, as little as 3 wraps. Light work, small prunes no rigging, working the canopy, 4 wraps. heavy lifting, pushing on takedowns, dynamic movements 5 wraps.

Be VERY careful with a longer tending loop. It can sit on top of the HH, holding the dog bone down when you sit in the harness thus allowing you to fall.

I gave up with a tending loop a long time ago when I discovered that clipping my chest ascender into the harness bridge ring kept everything in line perfectly and pushes the HH up the rope perfectly.

It did all require a little bit of technique refinement, mainly keeping my body upright and concentrating on what I was doing. Then it all just becomes second nature.

I hope this helps.

I don't have a chest harness but I gave your method a try with the OTS lanyard,It worked great ! thanks for the tip. I am used to climbing on the rope wrench and feel much more familiar with what ropes, cords,hitches work together with that. The HH is a different animal . The way I see it is that if the hitch does not grab on the HH the other two friction points don't come into play at all but with the RW you still have the pulley and the bend in the rope even if the hitch fails to grab. That aspect made me a little over cautious about trying fewer wraps,at the expense of tending easily. Now I feel a little more confident after reading all your posts. So one last noob question; when you guys are referring to the amount of wraps with the HH is that the initial wraps or just the wraps above the cross over? thanks again.

Nice idea with the shirt . Be cool if you could find a matching tie, tend in style.maybe a Hawaiian pattern would go good with the orange.8)

I wonder if it isn't as simple as getting something that will bite your shirt, like a strong Binder Clip/ Alligator Clip, and also have a location for a mini-biner. Maybe elastic drops down from the clip, though the tending loop, and back up to the Binder Clip/ Alligator clip. No choking hazard, transferable.

I like sewing so I just went over to my parents or my GF's place and used their sewing machine. I made 3 of them. I guess to avoid a choking hazzard the biner end could be stitched or some sort of break away added. I figured if something was going to snag it would snag my shirt collar anyway. I like how the entire shirt nearly takes the pull on tending, and doesn't slide or flip around when not in use.

I have on as black shirt, so I put a piece of paper towel in the shot for contrast.
c2722383cd099f2ace26416fb308afbf.jpg

Transferable to any shirt, probably, if you're hitch is tending smoothly. Compact. A piece of elastic cord, doubled over, down the the tending loop.

Works with your aforementioned frugal heritage. Mine, too.

....I gave up with a tending loop a long time ago when I discovered that clipping my chest ascender into the harness bridge ring kept everything in line perfectly and pushes the HH up the rope perfectly...

Yes! It does, however, require that you be more attentive on how the carabiner lines up in the HH. Most carabiner tethers also worked as corner traps that helped keep everything in line. Still worth it in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg
    20150825_114938-1_resized.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 90
I tried using a tending pulley, always seemed to pinch the rope between the cheek plates and bridge ring while ascending. Made a rough mock up of bridge adapter, worked pretty good, just need some of the angles fine tuned.
IMG_20150831_095529.jpg IMG_20150831_095426.jpg

I tried using a tending pulley, always seemed to pinch the rope between the cheek plates and bridge ring while ascending. Made a rough mock up of bridge adapter, worked pretty good, just need some of the angles fine tuned.
View attachment 63083View attachment 63084

Hey, Peter! This is a nice looking idea, and I really like the smooth groove for the rope you have going on there. The one thing I'm confused about is where and how your bridge ring connects up, with that piece of metal taking up the spot that used to be taken by the bridge ring.

Is that what the second hole is for? Clip a biner through the bottom hole and also through the bridge ring? Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Back