Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Thanks, Tim.

Hehehe, well mebbe Im using the HH backwards, you have the spine toward you, I was using it away from me. I"ll try that. Lol, if backward is the problem, I'm sure Paul is rolling his eyes reading this, thinking 'how could a person f that up???'

Heck Ive done the impossible many times:/:

Yeah, Cory, I think quite a few people have done that. Also, when you tie your hitch, I think it's important that the crossing part of the hitch also be towards the spine of the Hitch Hiker.

Tim

P.S. You should know that Paul Cox does not endorse my use of the triple attachment pulley in the manner that I do. I think he'd probably feel more comfortable with the use of the Pinto pulley. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Ha! It happens! If u use a chest harness u could leave it attached and pull slack straight down as u climb up. Doesn't solve ur issue but it's another option

I've found too many wraps with the HH makes hand tending a bit difficult. I use a simple neck loop for tending and have been finding I've been leaving it attached while in those situations where there are a lot of up and downs setting rigging, tying lines, etc etc. I always intend to set up a 3:1 but seldom do.

Ok so you may have read that I got a Cougar Blue rope (with Armor Pruss hitch) and for me it has transformed my HH, especially on tending smoothly, compared to my old Yale Poison HiVee.
Now i've got some HRC hitch cord it's even better.:D

PCTREE - WHERE'S THE NEW HH? At least tease us with a photo! :lol:

So I've got a Cougar Blue rope and have been using Armor Pruss which seemed good. I've read that HRC (Therma Shield in England) is supposed to be great.
Well I've just used it for an hour and it was lovely then it became awful!
I can't decsend at all. Tried different numbers of wraps and still no good. Using the usual hitch knot.
It just binds up and locks solid.

Any ideas chaps?

I've used it and like it. But found the 9mm RIT cord to be the best for me so far.
I didn't use it in the "traditional" HH hitch, I think I tied it in a Cooper's hitch, worked good for me.

The typical HH hitch is the valdotain, not the Valdotain tresse (sp?). The stopper knot is a bit more 'proprietary'.

Right now my HH setup is 9mm RIT tied in an XT(?) hitch, it's reeeeeally working good for me. :thumbup::D

IMG_1438 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• GOPR1312 - Copy.jpg
    GOPR1312 - Copy.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 141
Ayuh, didn't seem to make "too much" difference. The performance of the 9mm RIT tied in an XT
has been above and beyond everything else for me. :thumbup::D

I noticed today that if my homemade tether on the HH isn't pulling exactly symmetrical on either side of the HH (i.e. the tether eyes have BOTH to be snug up against the side of the HH) it just is a fight to move the lot up when attached to my chest clip.

One eye is a little slack and it slips down about 1/4" on one side. It's just enough for the biner to go a wee bit sideways and all the smoothness of tending is gone.
So I've got to snug up that eye a bit, whipping cord or a zip tie...hmmm, something to do when it's rainy...

Fiona, if you are using a slack tending pulley with a knee ascender try clipping into your bridge ring instead of the tending tether. It actually works much better to use a short corner trap for the carabiner/HH interface and it will stay put if you are not pulling on it.

I don't quite get the picture of that Dave...my knee ascender is clipped into a maillon on my waist belt, the tether on the HH is clipped into my chest sling...

When I get up to my working height I usually ditch the knee ascender and work the tree, if I have to go up again it do 'sit/stand' with the pantin and the chest/HH tether.

Back