Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

... I tried 8mm AP on it with similar results but to be fair it's still a new cord and maybe needs some break in time? With 7 wraps it wants to break down to 6 wraps 1 braid...

The hitch cord will change as it breaks in but that is probably not going to make a big difference. Have you tried using less wraps with real short tails? Also try some fat rope if you can get your hands on some as that can make a big difference.

I missed the "8mm" AP. I've had better results with anything 10 mm vs anything 8mm.

Reed,
I agree. I have had noticeably better performance in all areas with the different type of hitch cords I've used.
I am using Samson Arbormaster 1/2" 16 strand. I've tried the 8mm and 10mm AP, 8mm HRC and Beeline, and 10mm Ocean.
I haven't done a "huge" amount of experimenting with them but, with what I've done the 10mm always outperforms the 8mm.
Right now I'm 214 in my birthday suit, I know that has a lot to do with it..... ;)
Also wanted to say again what a huge difference adding the Pinto to tend my HH made, I'll never go back. :thumbup::D
Oh yeah, I also tried clipping directly to my bat plate to tend the HH using my rope walker setup and it worked out great! :thumbup::D
Was it you Dave that posted that up first? I can't remember, whoever it was THANK YOU! :thumbup::D

Oh yeah, I also tried clipping directly to my bat plate to tend the HH using my rope walker setup and it worked out great! :thumbup::D
Was it you Dave that posted that up first? I can't remember, whoever it was THANK YOU! :thumbup::D

What were you clipping into the bat plate, the elastic of the RW system?

What were you clipping into the bat plate, the elastic of the RW system?

No, I clip the bungee to the 'biner on my "chest harness"......but I probably should 'cause I clip the 'biner on my chest harness
to the bat plate which tends my HH. It works great. :thumbup::D
Let me see if I can find some pics or video..... :/:

This was a couple weeks ago.
It's my "rope walker" system without the knee ascender used with lanyard and spurs, I really like the self tending feature..... :thumbup:;)
The blue wiregate 'biner is clipped to my chest harness.:)

IMG_0798 - Copy.jpg

Here's a clip of some raw video from a couple weeks ago(looks better in HD).....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s5pU_hLRe6U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Any reason an SMC small rigging plate wouldn't work on my rope bridge??
I had a bit of a problem with my hh not tending very well on part of one tree I did last week. I'm going to give your setup a try on my next tree Randy. It looks pretty dang slick.

Ayuh, I've done that exact setup. ;)
Most everything I'm using I picked from you guys here, a lot of great(useful)information is shared..... :thumbup::D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have tried that set up with just the pinto but had problems with the biner getting jack knifed when pulling slack. Are you still using your RW?

Hey Randy could you take some close ups of your setup?

I have tried that set up with just the pinto but had problems with the biner getting jack knifed when pulling slack. Are you still using your RW?

Even with the pulley u still need to keep a tether or corner trap on the biner to prevent that. Very efficient if u do that tho

I find once the HH is dialed in on Vortex even with the supplied B-line it runs smooth after break in. Haven't noticed a problem with it binding on descent. My next order I will have to try the 8mm AP.

...Has anyone revisited the 4-2 distel?....

...I think I'm at a piont where I'd like to try other hitches just to compare performance. I get on great with the 6-7 wrap hitch but seems like no matter what cord I try or how tight/loose I make it it gets real tight on descent and I have to muscle it down while trying not to burn my fingers.

I've been on bluemoon until yesterday when I found a damaged spot in it but I'll keep it as a short line. Probably go back to same or similar. I tried 8mm AP on it with similar results but to be fair it's still a new cord and maybe needs some break in time? With 7 wraps it wants to break down to 6 wraps 1 braid. Nick bonner did this with hrc, but my hrc never did.

I have experienced the same thing with having to "muscle" the 6 wrap.

With Yale Aztec 11.7mm (orange Blue Moon), I have found Ocean Polyester 10mm tied with a distel hitch (4-1) and the HH is much to my liking. Like I've found with most hitches and the HH, it has to be tied with just the right length between eyes to tend easily yet still grab every time (without tending) when sitting back after 30' of climbing. I have not tried a 4-2 distel.

This setup lets me inch down, drop quickly or vary speed back and forth with ease and has never needed muscling after a hard stop or while descending.:thumbup:

IMG_4577 (Small).JPG IMG_4578 (Small).JPG

Yes nice to see that's working for u, sounds like the performance I'm after. Go figure OP was my favorite cord for ddrt yet it's about the only one I haven't tried yet on the hh.

Was there a color scheme change on the hh?

Yes nice to see that's working for u, sounds like the performance I'm after. Go figure OP was my favorite cord for ddrt yet it's about the only one I haven't tried yet on the hh.

Was there a color scheme change on the hh?

I bought 4-5' of most of the tech cords Treestuff carries to have on hand to try with varying ropes and devices. That's why the tails on the OP are so long in the photos.

As for color scheme...I was disappointed to receive the plain anodized version of the HH instead of the pretty orange one in everyone's photos. That was a couple of months ago and is all I know about it.

Yes I changed the color scheme. I got tired of seeing pictures of used HHs all chipped up. I have one of the first ones which I didn't anodize and it still looks good as there is nothing to chip off, we just bead blast it to give a satin finish. However I don't give 2 hoots about ascetics.

I was surfing the google web and came across this pic on another website. Seems like it would work well and reduce a lot of slop ddrt. I'm curious to try that now
image.jpg

Ayuh, still climbing with my RW. Although I've found a combo that is close to what I want with my HH, I still marvel at how easily the RW tends..... :thumbup::D

Hey Randy could you take some close ups of your setup?

Here's a the pic of my HH setup(used with spurs).
I'm using 10mm AP tied in a Cooper's hitch, tied VERY tight or it slips a bit..... ;)

IMG_0798 - Copy.jpg

This is a RW setup I was trying from a couple months ago, 8mm HRC tied in an XT hitch with the solid tether. :)

IMG_0438 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0434 - Copy.jpg

That is one solid tether on the RW! literally. Nice work! I have been wanting to redo my tether with a spring in the center. A guy on Arbtalk made one and I was really impressed with it's performance on his video.

Back