Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Yes it does and is. Set up this way, the HH just glides up the rope once you find the proper hitch/rope combination. For me that is 8 mm Armor-prus, 5 wrap falling to 4 HH hitch on Vortex.

I've seen your photos of this setup before and didn't understand how it could advance smoothly until last night. From the photos with an unweighted rope, I always visualized the biner pivoting up and not advancing well. It finally "clicked" that when you step up, the rope is tensioned from your foot straight up through the HH and the pulley keeps the biner vertical as the tether advances it.:thumbup:

The bad news for me is when I placed an order from TreeStuff, that pulley ended up costing me $500. Oh well....at least it came with extras. yesnod.gif

I need to find the time and try these out.

e9ebepy4.jpg

I used my HH on Tachyon (11.7mmm) with the beeline all day today.
It one handed much more easily than the XTC, didn't really think I needed any extra biners or pulleys, but I have a spare fixe I might try.
I had to tighten the beeline twice during the day, 4wraps 1braid, 5 makes it too tight, but the 4/1 was stretching out a bit, had to get it really snug.

I was climbing in topping regrowth (reducing sprouts and excess verticals) in a white cedar (Tabebuia pallida) using two loop runners all day for foot holds, and clipping in the tether and pantin for ascents up the 'nekkid' regrowth poles. It would have been very difficult to do this tree DdRT.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=130&item=471

How about this instead of the bottom screw gate. I would rather have a screw gate locked down on a delta. Some people put a half of a box wrench on the screw-gate delta, locked in place for locking down a choked canopy-TIP with a delta.

I don't like another thing around my neck (used to have whistle and ear plugs, but both are not on my helmet), especially something that could become a choking hazard, or snag on descent. It would be a painful hang-up. I clip my 5mm Tech cord tether into my elastic going up to my hand with my Rope Walker system.

Aluminum biner? Not a good idea with the HH.

Though I generally have been a big fan of the OP Jake, the production standards have left a bit to be desired in the past...some have been un-usable out of the box, not sure to auto-lock due to binding of the barrel.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=130&item=471

How about this instead of the bottom screw gate. I would rather have a screw gate locked down on a delta. Some people put a half of a box wrench on the screw-gate delta, locked in place for locking down a choked canopy-TIP with a delta.

I don't like another thing around my neck (used to have whistle and ear plugs, but both are not on my helmet), especially something that could become a choking hazard, or snag on descent. It would be a painful hang-up. I clip my 5mm Tech cord tether into my elastic going up to my hand with my Rope Walker system.

The link Sean included in his post is for the OP Jake, is it not???

Can't see ever giving that a try...WAAAY to long=slack and setback distance, seems to me.

The way I have mine tied I'm not getting that much set back.
I know it's a personal thing and everyone is different, but for me the difference I'm getting in setback is negligible and the gain in performance is very noticeable. :thumbup::)

IMG_0582 - Copy.jpg

https://www.treestuff.comxxxxxxxxxxxg.asp?category_id=130&item=471

So I reread this post. I posted the wrong hyperlink for the screw gate hardware link. I wrote "how about this instead for the bottom screw-gate?". I meant to write "how about this (meaning a screw-gate link), instead, for the bottom screw-gate link?

I was figuring a screw gate oval or delta link would be smaller, and able to accomplish the same 90 degree turn for orientation.

If u were to use a pinto with the hh could u clip into the becket for ddrt?

Though it would probably work, I am not sure that DMM would approve. They made a special bushing for it just to reduce any lateral loads to the side plates. Using it on the HH in the slack tending position would load it to the outside sloping edge of the carabiner, making the side plates want to spread open. Definitely not what DMM had in mind.

Not really a big deal for slack tending but as a life support setup??????

I used my HH on Tachyon (11.7mmm) with the beeline all day today.
It one handed much more easily than the XTC, didn't really think I needed any extra biners or pulleys, but I have a spare fixe I might try.
I had to tighten the beeline twice during the day, 4wraps 1braid, 5 makes it too tight, but the 4/1 was stretching out a bit, had to get it really snug.

I was climbing in topping regrowth (reducing sprouts and excess verticals) in a white cedar (Tabebuia pallida) using two loop runners all day for foot holds, and clipping in the tether and pantin for ascents up the 'nekkid' regrowth poles. It would have been very difficult to do this tree DdRT.

8)

After a week and a half of yarding small tree length and clumps of brush. Some of the groves are a couple MM deep, but no distortion of the ring itself. Once the rope fuzzed up it became a dirt mop, despite my best efforts to keep it off the ground, so most of this wear is from grit. FWIW :evil:

DSC03841.JPG

DSC03842.JPG

ETA: Brain fart. Meant to post this in another thread. . . haha :|:

Here you go. You don't need to go through all the trouble of cutting a hook into one to make it work. I was just having problems taking it on and off in the tree, for redirects when needed. You'll notice I am not using the plastic tether for advancing the HH but I have left it on as it does a good job of keeping the carabiner trapped in the right position.

Got my pulley yesterday and gave it a try today. VERY nice. My first impression is it advances with less effort than when using a tether.

I was trying out too many new things at once today (new rope, increased range on the knee ascender and pulley) and made the mistake of leaving my old tight eyed tether off of the HH biner (when I came down to switch hitch cords) to see it it really did "keep the carabiner trapped in the right position". Went up about 15' and wasn't paying attention as I sat back onto the HH. The hitch didn't grab, the biner cockedsideways a bit and I about ended up upside down before I realized what was happening and nudged the hitch. I'll be leaving the "unused" tether on in the future.

As DMc indicated, getting the pulley and bridge ring on and off means getting everything in the right position so the biner will open wide enough.

With a good deal of the small learning curve behind me, the pulley will be staying with the HH setup. Me likey. Thanks DMc.:thumbup:

I tried the pinto with the HH, whilst it worked very well, It did not work for my climbing style. Because I pass the HH through natural redirects often it means fiddling around to much for me, also being new too the HH I don't see to much a problem for the biner capturing progress.
J8)

... made the mistake of leaving my old tight eyed tether off of the HH biner ...The hitch didn't grab, the biner cockedsideways a bit and I about ended up upside down before I realized what was happening...:

Wow, glad you're OK. Yes, trapping the carabiner in proper alignment is pretty important.

One of the things I like most about the 8 mm AP and Vortex when used with the HH hitch is that it always grabs but is soft and quick to release and set. Many other combinations if they break easy, either have a lot of set-back, or sometimes slip or don't grab by themselves.

Back