Any interest in the new Stihl MS150

I do a bunch of work for AS members......takes up most of my time dealing with the saws, and the folks.

I like it here though.......you guys are laid back.
Randy if I was to send you a saw for full race mods would it have to be well broke in to get the best performance out of it?
I have a brand new 1993 Husky 272XP with only about 10 tanks through it, I don't think it's broke in enough but then having said that with full race mods it probably doesn't matter.
With my little Yamaha YZ125 bike saw it only needs about 10 minutes to break in new bearings and ring to be race ready. I'm thinking a stroked full race chainsaw powerhead would be the same.
What are your thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't do any saws for racing. I just build higher performing working saws. That said, many of our work saws have been used in small "country fair" type races with winning results. Also a couple of our saws are being raced in "post ripping" events in Australia.

I'm of the opinion that a guy should stick to what he does well........and saws for racing ain't mine.

Those guys started racing the 3 cube saws in WKY last weekend.......I stuck around to watch. Then the 4 cubes started. The damn things were so loud that even with ear plugs and muffs on I couldn't handle it......had to get the hell away.

I built a piped 064 that cut 1.7s in 10 x 10s on gas......but lost interest pretty quickly and gave the whole mess to Wiggleworth.

Oh they are a hoot but the use is rather limited .I know all about that loud ,got a ringa ding in one ear from being foolish and not using muffs .Did it with a dang McCulloch too but it was 15,000 rpm one .--a word to the wise from the unwise,wear that ear protection --

Im 29 and have hearing damage already. Up until 3 years ago I didn't wear muffs. Competitive rifle shooting, and 29 years of being exposed to the business.

Im 29 and have hearing damage already. Up until 3 years ago I didn't wear muffs. Competitive rifle shooting, and 29 years of being exposed to the business.
I damaged the hearing in my left ear as a young boy while driving Dad's John Deere D gas tractor , left ear was fully exposed to the exhaust when steady looking back at the plow. Those old two cylinders made a heck of a lot of noise.
Plus at the time duck hunting with the 12 gauge also did more damage to my left ear.

A John -Deere D is something like 503 cubic inchs. When is fires it sounds about like it's using about a half a pint of gasoline .

A John -Deere D is something like 503 cubic inchs. When is fires it sounds about like it's using about a half a pint of gasoline .
I could see about a half pint of gas come out of the petcocks when dad once trained me how to start the ole D by hand on the flywheel......wasn't long we got the starter fixed.
Each powerstroke on those big twin cylinders sounds like a stick of dynamite:) Before I die I have to have a restored John Deere D to sit in my backyard.
BTW a farmer back home in Saskatchewan built a double DD, 2 D tractors end for end bolted together with articulating steering, will get a picture next time I go backhome.
Sorry for the derail:P

To be honest Stig, a 30-30 is plenty of power for a close range bear. Its not a super high performance round, as we all know, but I made sure to sneak the bullet in without hitting the shoulder and it went out the other side. I used a heavy bullet loaded up very hot also. But, while Im a mediocre tree worker, a lousy husband, and a so-so father, I am a talented shooter. I shoot freehand rifle matches out to 600 yards. Im certainly not the best, and never will be. But freehand competition shooting has made less demanding shooting come much easier.

Well you won't get it turned without opening the petcocks unless you're 400 pounds with arms like Superman .

Back on I've never seen one of these 150's and actually only severel 192's .The tree guys around here are sold on 200T's and are buying every decent one they can find to stock up .

If I had more time I'd gooble up every burned up cylinder 200 I could find and stick on an after market top end and flip them .

All women ,cute ,not cute,mild mannered ,violet tempered have learned several things since they were babies .Very quickly as little babies they learned how to melt daddys' heart by just a little grin and a giggle .Later they learned how to bat their eyes and make men melt like butter .

Somewhere in this transformation from little girl to adult woman they learned how to nag .They all do it in their own special way .We just have to live with it as best we can .

Well cripey, if you'd just do as you were told, there would be no nagging, what part of that don't you get?? Huh Huh?
;)
Just come back with the 'yes dear' and carry on 'bout yer bizznizz (hold you for a good while a well pronounced 'yes dear' will)

I've been married 27 years and have found to key to happiness.

Last edited:
DISPLACEMENT 23.6 cc (1.44 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.0 kW (1.34 hp)
POWERHEAD WEIGHT 2.6 kg (5.7 lbs)

It was just a piece of low pro.......not the new good stuff.....

I really don't know yet Al. Weedeaterman.com is sending me the saw to look over.......I'll do a thread on it. I'll be putting the thread on a few different sites. When I'm done playing with it I'll sell it to the highest bidder.

I have a wild vision if it's removable cylinder you could wind that thing up like a model airplane engine .Well good luck .

Back