Any downside to using tree spikes vs pole spikes on thin-bark tree?

I think it's pretty minor discomfort/ mitigation. I have tree spurs, given to me by a friend, along with shin guards. That is weird to me. I've tried about 4 different pads. I like to sit in my saddle when I can rest. Stripping a fir is easy with a non isolated top rope, shot anywhere through the crown. I think I reach a bit less. Less stabilizing with for muscles. There is too much exercise.

Money better spent elsewhere. Bang for buck. Rather work towards a wraptor.

I've only had tree spikes, I guess if you've never had the other you don't know what you're missing and learn to climb all trees with the long ones.
Tree spikes will cover a larger range of trees, I'd hate to get stuck with a think bark tree and only have short spikes.

I don't know specifically about your trees, but You aren't pushing down very hard to force a gaff-out. If you're using a top rope, you are in especially good shape. I climbing a lot of live doug-firs residentially in pole spurs, one was 145', no problem, highstepping somewhat, too, as I had to reascent after helping on the ground a few times.. Another was topped and thick at the base, but not as tall. The only problematic section was the first 20', and to say problematic is an overstatement. Pole spurs will cover a large range of trees.

A pair of each would be ideal. Just me, but I'd rather have a cheap pair of steel tree spurs (I do), and a better set of pole spurs (mine are okay enough for me). I used my tree spurs about 4 years ago. I used the State Parks tree spurs more recently, on a very limited basis. Uncomfortable.

Back