An interesting video documentary. "Roughing it"

Have other people seen the twinkle in peoples eyes that have spent too much time by themselves?

???

Living off the land by yourself will put you in touch with what is real and how it works. The luxuries that society provide come at the cost of blurring reality.

Dave

Well it sure ain't in no way, shape or form child "enrichment."

Not the kids, Imma betting. I wonder how many times that Predator movie's been viewed.

How many kids get to choose where they live, anyways. I disagree with you 100%, having an influence so close to you who can live off the land and truly values the wilderness is completely enriching. The things he was saying ring fairly true...except for his disdain for farmers...ironic when wandering around with materials that wouldn't have been available without the agrarian societies. But, he was right when he said EVERYBODY comes from a hunter gatherer at some point, he was also right when he said these skill are beneficial. I for one agree that going out and hunting/fishing/trapping to stock meat in your freezer is a far more valuable experience than going to the grocery store. I am lucky enough to be able learn these skills from my FIL, and very happy that my sons will grow up with the ability to learn if they so choose. I was born and raised a city slicker, but all those experiences in city's has led me to believe that more truth and beauty can be found in the woods, plains and rivers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How's the welding going? Do anything with it?

Good to read ya.

I do quite a few odd jobs from fixing things to building new stuff. Built some utv parts, log bunks on a flat deck, aluminum cr125 cylinder repair...

Not real busy with it but enough to make some cash on the side.

Living off the land by yourself will put you in touch with what is real and how it works.

Nothing wrong with living off the land. Something IS wrong wanting to be all alone while you're doing it. Humans are social animals, not solitary creatures.

Nothing wrong with living off the land. Something IS wrong wanting to be all alone while you're doing it. Humans are social animals, not solitary creatures.

Right or wrong or just different? Is a blind man wrong? We view the world around us through eyes shaded with social filters, confident in our knowledge.
In the forest, far from social judgment, the quietly feeding rabbit's life is transformed to screaming agony, then death by the talons of a Goshawk. No problem, right? There is no right or wrong because they're just animals doing what they do.
In the forest, if you want to live, you best understand it is all about life and death, not right or wrong and life does not last forever.

Dave

"He states exactly that in the beginning of the video."

Yep, I caught that. And yet again, I'll take it one step further and say that wanting to go live in the wilderness with only your Significant Other is still abnormal, antisocial behavior that's not the norm for Hugh Munz. That's still not being a social animal, IMO.

Most people need others for intereaction; more than just your mate.

needhug.gif

:lol:

There are all kinds of people. Who is to judge what is right or wrong?
They found something that works for them that they are happy with.
I doubt there is many that can say the same!

Still waiting for a explanation of what is abusive, MB...

Don't hold your breath, mate.

I'd sure like to be able to go cut me a big ass steak, like he did. I could eat that every day.

I don't think that it matters that the place is so isolated, the reason behind living there for the man is that he gets a message for himself by doing it. It is said that everybody is looking for something, I would assume that he finds it out there....his place. There must be something profound that they get from the quiet and the challenge. Hell, people are looking to live on Mars, have you seen pictures of that hostile environment?

I didn't say that it wasn't a nice place to hang out for a while, but live there? A screw's loose, somewhere.

Perhaps, but he did say that it was interest that caused him to first go out there when he was 19. Apparently, he is still interested.

I thought that the incident with the bear really summed it up. He mentioned a day or so before that they had to deal with it, no way to avoid getting rid of the animal. Then the time came and they made the hurried preparations and went rushing out to meet the problem head on, some fear in the air, but the necessity overrode it. Didn't he say to his wife, "I need you with me"? He even made a little joke, saying that he would be following her, and raised his eyebrows. I dunno, it just made me think that they had something going.

Butch, just because his beliefs don't align with yours doesn't mean he has a screw loose. I'm sure he would be much less than approving of your living situation in the ghetto and unable to leave your home for more than a few hours at a time for fear of being robbed.

I like the emergency tent, but I'd make damned sure that I didn't burn the cabin down in the first place.

Ya'll are overreacting to what I said.

Brian, why do you always resort to saying stuff like that?

Because you're so highly critical of people who don't value the same things you do. You said he had a screw loose, I just pointed out that maybe it's not him.

Add years to your life?

And I'll even take it one step further and call raising children 150 miles north of the Artic Circle child abuse.
To state that simply by living above arctic circle is child abuse and then say nothing more to discussion, leave a lot to desire.
I was hoping there could be more than a ignorant comment to this.

I guess it could be a joke of sorts I didn't get, but it seems there was more than that to it.
Would be interesting to know what you consider abuse is...

???

Living off the land by yourself will put you in touch with what is real and how it works. The luxuries that society provide come at the cost of blurring reality.

Dave

I was just talking about how people go a little co co in the head when they spend too much time by themselves. I only think this happens when completely alone for extended periods.

No doubt, can you imagine going after a hungry bear outside your house in the dark?? Still, he believes it is safer than living with civilization. I don't think he's wrong. Think about it, he's carved out a niche in which he relies upon himself and his wife, with the occasional assistance from the bush pilot. Off the grid. Sometimes I wonder if all the technology in the market place doesn't add up to anything more than mass distraction. This is a man with his finger on the pulse...of REALITY.

He seemed to really enjoy having the video crew out there visiting, kind of excited to have some new people to talk to. That is a far contrast from some weirdos who live out in the remote and are paranoid of people.

Do those skins he gets bring good money? Wonder what a bear skin will be worth? I sure don't know the ins and outs of it, but couldn't he put all that attractive looking meat in a little shack or something, instead of out in the open? Maybe a little less a draw to the wild things. Can bears smell frozen meat? I haven't seen steaks that size since I was back in California. :lol:

They smell it on a pretty impressive distance. As do most other animals.
Suspending it high will not help much either.
If it is inside, they want in... Better have it outside in the big cooler.
Dried meat, well contained smell very little, but is no fun compared to frozen/fresh.

Skin market is one of the few that is really global. It is highly unstable market in general.
Bear is pretty good price and it is in comparison to others pretty well paid if it is of decent or good quality.
Moose, caribou, Deere, Bore, all kinds of little ones like mink, ferrets can give pretty good price if you can keep it until price is right.
Here most is prepared, then frozen.

Wow, pretty intense lifestyle. He seemed like a perfectly bright guy. Living that life for people that are adept at it must be extremely satisfying. Mind boggling that in 2011 there is a place where 2 people live in a place the size of South Carolina

Back