An interesting video documentary. "Roughing it"

???

Living off the land by yourself will put you in touch with what is real and how it works. The luxuries that society provide come at the cost of blurring reality.

Dave

Entirely correct.A day can be a long time out in the Woods,it never feels long in a City.

???
The luxuries that society provide come at the cost of blurring reality.
Dave

Not exactly clear on what is meant here by "luxuries", but I think of city life as just being a different reality. I think that having street smarts isn't so different from the guy in the boonies who needs to understand his environment to better survive. It can be much the same when there are millions around you, having developed a sense and skills about it to best provide to satisfy your needs. Both situations require intelligence. So you go to the butcher for a steak instead of killing an animal for yourself, it's still in the here and now, just a different layer of the process to stay alive. I would agree that there is the possibility of a lot more distractions from reality in the city, if you allow it. On the other hand, living so isolated, your mind could get to be a distraction.

I would guess they are toasty warm most of the time, between proper clothing and the cabin. Plus theres always summertime.

Not exactly clear on what is meant here by "luxuries", but I think of city life as just being a different reality.

Sorry, Jay. I don't really mean to be obtuse or vague with my statements. It is just my piss-pour education leaving me scratching for words that appropriately describe what I am trying to say.

What you see as a different reality, I see as not one at all. The world around us has changed very little in hundreds of thousands of years. The way it works, the things that happen in it are not figments of imagination and don't change on a whim. They are reality.

Society and its luxuries, at least while it is working, I hope are obvious to all of us. But the realities that exist in our minds and necessary for function within our social systems, are not truly realities but thought patterns. I am not belittling the power of these thought patterns, as thinking differently has cost many people their lives.

For the few who have done it, putting yourself within the food change of the wilderness does give you a different perspective.

As far as living within society or living outside it, one is not necessarily more challenging or requiring greater intelligence but does alter the way you view things.

Dave

Good reply, Dave. No doubt what you say is true about the different lifestyles leading to an overall very different perspective. Personally, I become somewhat lonely when I need to be in the big city for more than a day or two, particularly Tokyo, which has a population of something like 12 million. At first it is like lookie there...lookie there, all kinds of things to see, but little by little, a sense of isolation starts to creep in, all kinds of people going in every possible direction like they are on a mission, but no connection to me. I might as well be invisible. It just makes me feel weird, but on the other hand perhaps it is some insecurity? I never get lonely in a more rural environment.

I get a sense of mystery out where few people are, in the city it has all been planned and set up, an endless loop of something for some purpose.

Back