An interesting video documentary. "Roughing it"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
His final act was kinda odd. No way I'd live way out there.

No way he would live anywhere else!

Good to see you, Jim. What are you up to these days?

Been doing hvac work with my dad and another guy here lately.. I put a set of hooks on back in december, first time in a year. Working as much as I can. I still frequent here daily, just layin low!

I don't know about safer. There kid drowned in icy water crossing a river in a canoe. Tis a sad thing.

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed it. That bear had some bad looking teeth. The idea of self sufficiency is appealing, hard to say without trying, but I could like that lifestyle, I think. When I go outside at night I prefer absolute darkness, seeing lights is a downer.

I guess you have to carry a gun most of the time, I noticed that he strapped on a pistol to go chop wood.

Very cool. Amazing testament to the bond those two have, to keep on keepin on after the loss of a child. I don't think raising kids like that is irresponsible. Everyone has their time. Who is to say that if they raised their kids in a city that the little girl couldn't have been run over in a parking lot, or abducted or any number of possibilities. I think that the way in which this couple have chosen to live their lives is commendable, and arduous. Not many would choose such a path. The skills that it takes to survive as long as he and his wife have in that environment are slowly slipping out of mankinds fingers, the skills for survival without the creature comforts which we seem to need.

Thanks for posting.

I could feel something very strong about the woman's spirit. Perhaps it was her matter of factness about the way they live, her originally being from the far north himself. Her husband is just a crazy nut, but I agree with Dylan, a very commendable one. He sure took care of the intruder. I wonder what eating all that wild meat and fish does for you?

Add years to your life?

And I'll even take it one step further and call raising children 150 miles north of the Artic Circle child abuse.

56 000 people live in Greenland. I believe that is even further north...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

I don't see what is so strange or spectacular with this. It is a way of life like any other. Up to each of us to do what we like best. No need to be stuck in something we don't like.

I don't know about safer. There kid drowned in icy water crossing a river in a canoe. Tis a sad thing.

Is this more sad than a kid getting shot in a city or in a war in middle east?
What way is worst?
Personally I think it is a sad lost either way.

And I'll even take it one step further and call raising children 150 miles north of the Artic Circle child abuse.

Really...
Child abuse?

Please explain how it is abusive? Lots of places are much worse, with higher risks and remote below arctic circle. A couple more places to be named then would be a good chunk of Africa, Austraila, South America, parts of Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, countless Islands and jungles.....

Add years to your life?

Thats just silly. She is a native and they chose to live up there. Its not their fault ANWR was placed around them stopping more civilization. Girls grew up and got married. Seems normal. I know lots of folks in AK that live remote and rarely come to town.
Great posting by the way, I really enjoyed watching that

No, not mine... They are too close...

Just trying to understand how you think...
There is a lot of people living like this and enjoy it.

Still want to hear what you think is abusive..

someone said it was safer to live there and I was just sayin', shit happens where ever you live. I think it is cool to live out like that but there is something oddly strange about believing you can raise children and not have them be affected by the whole experience for the rest of their lives. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. If the kids choose to live in society don't you think their brain would have a few glitches, so to say?

The kids are enduring a hardship that few others know about. I am not talking about a few more chores either. Being exposed all the time is a little hard on the soul. Have other people seen the twinkle in peoples eyes that have spent too much time by themselves?

What about kids raised in third world countries? Then relocate here. I don't see anything wrong with it. Just a different culture, kids were free to move on but they still come back and visit, must not have been a bad life

Back