Aircraft Carriers...

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
These were the front runners...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UL4Taf01wRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You would not believe how cool flight ops are, especially at night. The crazy thing was how much I hated it at the time... I was a maroon!

Attachments

• 11008585_10152779091698091_2714400235793410687_o.jpg
    11008585_10152779091698091_2714400235793410687_o.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 56
...went to see the Grateful Dead in Norfolk when the Nimitz was in port (home after trying to get American hostages out of Iran). Really at the dock not anchored in the harbor , drove it's length in our VW staring at it and feeling tiny.

Permanently dockside , Manhattan off 12th Ave. Now a museum is I think the Intrepid . Seems small compared. Prob WWII , driven by never stopped in. Aircraft on deck.

The Enterprise was longer.

(pic isn't Enterprise)

Attachments

• gtt.jpg
    gtt.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 41
From the days of wooden flight decks, the Jap Hiryu on fire from attack planes from the Yorktown and Enterprise, before disappearing beneath the waves. At the Battlle of Midway, a turning point in WW2.

Attachments

• h73064.jpg
    h73064.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 43
You would not believe how cool flight ops are, especially at night. The crazy thing was how much I hated it at the time... I was a maroon!

Many of us were, when young.
I bet lots of people here wopuld love to go back and re-do stuff because they didn't appreciate it enough at the time.
Me for sure.

Huge as they are, carriers have been dwarfed by container transport ships.
Biggest one happens to be Danish.
Of course they had to name it after a complete a-hole. Like naming a ship after John D. Rockefeller the first. http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mærsk_Mc-Kinney_Møller_(skib)

And then there is even an oil tanker that makes it seem small: https://www.google.dk/search?q=mærs...H434CYCQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=0zBHpHJeSRWu3M

Dad retired Navy AOC 58-79. Aircraft carriers and plank owner of the Eisenhower.

I remember the Kitty Hawk, Saratoga and others. I remember taking father son day cruises etc on Ike and Nimitz.

I think I have a pic in the late 70's at N.N. standing in front of Ike. Clothes stand out for sure. :O

Container ships are cool, but they couldn't punch their way outta paper bag.

A friend here who owned a Roadhouse served aboard the Forestal. Bread recipe at his place was from the Navy (freakin delicous). Speaking of fire control , they had an epic below deck catastrophe.

All sailors are trained extensively in firefighting.

I mean, just think about it...

Yep , definetly making a big turn.... I forget how fire started on the Forestal , explosion in the magazine. Took DAYS not hours to fight. Men were killed and ship was heavily damaged. Worst case scenario when armements intended for use against the enemy are on fire below decks.

Back