Achilles Tendon

Che

Treehouser
I'm having a terrible problem with mine for some reason, one ankle. It hurts slightly pretty much constant, walking up hills hurts more, but walking down hills kills me.

I bought a stretchy brace, but that doesn't seem to be doing alot. Now it's actually 'stinging'.

Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Gigi.

Feels like it, Jay....it feels similar to the pain from plantar fasciitis (sp?) From what I understand, with that, everytime you relax your foot (as in laying down, with it straight out) the tenden starts to heal...then when you bend it again to stand you tear open tiny little micro-tears in the tendon (or whatever that is. Takes forever to heal.

BUT...this one I've never had before.

I think google says stay off your feet. :deadpc:

I was hoping for a realistic cure. I'll search some more, though.

That sounds too simplistic, Che, just staying off your feet. Probably best to determine the extent of the injury via a doctor. You have to be careful, because even if not torn, in a weakened condition, it is easier to further damage the tendon.

I googled some more. This was pretty good, hard to read, but had some info that was useful.

It is not 'ruptured'....I can move my foot....that's what surgery is suggested for. But it does say I should get treatment. It feels like I should just get it stabilized so it can't move and heal up, but nothing I'm using does that.

I had been leaving the truck and walking the hills more lately.

I just got a bill for $500 (AFTER insurance) for some PT for my back....I'm a bit hesitant to start in on another problem.

I'll call my doctor. Maybe they can tell me something over the phone and I won't have to go in ($$$$)

Good luck with that Che. Rest and NSAIDs until you can see a doc... but if it goes more than three weeks I think you should definitely see a doc.

Give Che the boot.:angel1:

The bad thing about the stabilizing boots though is that they alter the way you are able to walk so you tend to strain the other leg, stess your knees and play hob with your hips..........

Ease off on the use, stretch gently, use ice and vitamin I, gets lots of massages from your hubby, apply horse linament. and eat plenty of chocolate.

Read about infra red LED therapy. NASA did a bunch of research on it and it seemed to help my knee when I was having problems with it........FWIW

Good luck with it.

It could have something to do with your feet . If you have flat feet or extremely high arches it can throw every thing off .

If your feet are off you compensate which throws your knees out of wack,your hips and then the poor old back .

I'm with Frans on this one.

Make sure you got your nutriments. Wheatgrass is the goods.

Do what your doc says too!

Stumper's advice is pretty good, especially the chocolate part.

I had a similar injury due to a bodysurfing accident. According to the doctor I had slightly torn/ripped or over stretched the achilles tendon, in addition to other damage to my foot and ankle. Like you said walking uphill was bothersome, but downhill was incredibly painful. Unfortunately, no treatment was prescribed. A PT I talked to said it would have healed faster if I had just broken my foot instead. These type of tendon injuries can easily take six months to completely heal. Mine took close to that, but the pain greatly subsided to a minor level within a month or so.

I would do some research on general healing practices for tendons and see what you find. Best of luck, I hope it feels better quickly!

I called the Dr's office this morning....the receptionist said just come on in. So I went.

Ibuprofen 3x daily, ice a couple times a day, quit what aggrevates it (the hills), and after a week of healing, then start stretches.

I slept in an ankle brace last night trying to get some relief. I believe it made things worse. This morning was pretty painful. BUT....although I did alot of driving and walking on the flat today, I did not walk any inclines, took it easy climbing into the truck, etc.....AND....I feel alot better.

I have a real high arch, Al....I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

I've not heard of the chocolate cure, Justin....but I'll get right on that!! :D

Thanks all!

I just remembered that I used a Chinese herbal liniment that helped greatly with the pain and swelling. If there are any Chinese doctors in your area it might be worth inquiring. It should only be a few dollars.

I have terrible foot problems. Bi weekly shots, ect.

Foot doctor sez its the way I walk, I pound my heels down first instead of the ball of the foot.

It would be almost impossible to walk without your heels landing first. Sounds like he is making excuses because he doesn't know what's wrong.

No, I hit with the full force of my weight.

I can wear the heels off of a boot in 2 or 3 months.

Back