A small fir crown reduction

• Thread starter Gord
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 5K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was for a golf course that we work for periodically so we charge them hourly. I spent a short day climbing and then we bucked it up in another half day. We didn't do any cleanup.

We didn't do any cleanup.

That was always my favorite part of doing work for golf clubs,, no clean-up.

Their boys stood await with a tractor and giant flat steel skidder than they would pull the debris onto and then burn- all in one shot. In fact, it was at a golf course that I first joined my employer. And if that constant work of up and down and back up again all day doesn't detour you from tree-work, then nothing will.

VERY nice work! I don't bother to spur climb big trees anymore either. It's just too hard and takes too long. I like to rope climb at least the bottom 40-60 feet, if not the whole thing.

It sounds so wierd to hear myself say that rope climbing is faster than spur climbing.

VERY nice work! I don't bother to spur climb big trees anymore either. It's just too hard and takes too long. I like to rope climb at least the bottom 40-60 feet, if not the whole thing.

It sounds so wierd to hear myself say that rope climbing is faster than spur climbing.

It really comes down to how long it takes to set the climbing line. Out in that golf fairway...if you have a decent target limb then it's a no-brainer.

Walk into a natural stand and consider the challenge setting an ascent line can be...it can literally take hours in a big oldgrowth like Gord showed. In that case it becomes an interesting case of choosing the more time consuming method versus the less physically taxing one...trying to figure out which is going to be which.

And in some situations you might think "no problem, an easy tree to set the line in" only to be proven badly mistaken...but you don't know that from the getgo, only in hindsight.

Burn, Scotty Altenhoff's (arborist for city of Eugene, and canopy researcher)wrist rocket is just the ticket....it fires fishing line and about a 2-4 ounce weight. Too bad it's no longer made. Oxman has one too...but he also uses a crossbow..

It really comes down to how long it takes to set the climbing line. Out in that golf fairway...if you have a decent target limb then it's a no-brainer.

Walk into a natural stand and consider the challenge setting an ascent line can be...it can literally take hours in a big oldgrowth like Gord showed. In that case it becomes an interesting case of choosing the more time consuming method versus the less physically taxing one...trying to figure out which is going to be which.

And in some situations you might think "no problem, an easy tree to set the line in" only to be proven badly mistaken...but you don't know that from the getgo, only in hindsight.

It took me just over 5 hours to get a line set in a 190'-200' Fir near Mt. Baker. That same limb, the first limb on the trunk, broke off a couple of weeks later. With the understory, shooting angles, it was a bear. Eric Schatz hooked me up with some arrows that help. (if they make it to the ground) The tree was not to be removed, was just using it as a rigging point, hence the suckfest. I could have gone up in hooks in less than 2 hrs.

Burn, Scotty Altenhoff's (arborist for city of Eugene, and canopy researcher)wrist rocket is just the ticket....it fires fishing line and about a 2-4 ounce weight. Too bad it's no longer made. Oxman has one too...but he also uses a crossbow..

I have one that I built myself...and it is a good tool. I call it my Little Shot. The Bigshot set up with fishing reel is a good one for this task, too.

It took me just over 5 hours to get a line set in a 190'-200' Fir near Mt. Baker. That same limb, the first limb on the trunk, broke off a couple of weeks later. With the understory, shooting angles, it was a bear. Eric Schatz hooked me up with some arrows that help. (if they make it to the ground) The tree was not to be removed, was just using it as a rigging point, hence the suckfest. I could have gone up in hooks in less than 2 hrs.

Even with the Little or Big Shots, this stuff still can give you fits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even with the Little or Big Shots, this stuff still can give you fits.

I've almost thrown fits trying to set lines in old redcedars, some of them have nothing but really droopy limbs, can be really difficult to set a line even 40' up.

I remember this one being a big big pain, but still a lot easier than trying to gaff up.

Attachments

• cedar212.jpg
    cedar212.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 6
Great pics and video Gord, what a whopper of a tree. You looked very smooth indeed up there. I hope you won't mind if I share this with the guys on a UK forum (arbtalk) as well?

Your tie in point looks like a dead branch in the pictures and on the video. I am supposing that that was just the way looked and you had a good branch?

Back