A.R.T. Spiderjack??

I know Pete McTree has been messing about with the Spiderjack. Hopefully he'll chime in shortly.

I've climbed on the Lockjack Sport a little bit. First thing I'd warn you about is do not confuse the three you gave tags to...they all have quite different operating parameters, though the two Lockjacks are more similar than the Spiderjack, by quite a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dig the simplicity Butch, but it certainly isn't for me. I iuse a beeline with a VT, nothing too fancy relatively speaking but it aint the tautline :)

I am climbing on a borrowed spider jack at the moment to try & give my shoulder an easier time. I am still in the learning stage so I am going to re-visit this thread in a couple of weeks when I can give a more comprehensive opinion. In the interim check out you tube for spyderjackery III - good starting point IMO

Thanks pete, I just watched that and look forward to hearing your review. Hope the shoulder feels better! Thanks to everyone else for the input.

Burnham, I got the difference for sure, just tagging the post cause I figured they might come up.

Haven't climbed in one, but look up the Spiderjackery videos on youtube, should be a few, Joe really highlights in his vids though, made me want to buy one after watching them, but since I climb SRT now, they do me no good.

Back on topic though, I talked to a guy in Hartford who uses DdRT and SRT techniques, and he said whenever he uses DdRT, the Spider jack is his go too gadget.

Does anybody use this? ...Whats the word?#TAGS art spiderjack , lockjack , lockjack sport

I have used the Lockjack. It is nice, very similar to a well-tuned Hitchclimber setup but with that neat little trick of mechanicals, no set back.

You have done rock climbing though, right? I know from your posts you are inventive and innovative. Why not give SRT a go?

Dave

Dave,

I have been thinking of trying out a Rope Wrench, or a unicender. I see you have one of those by your avatar.. I imagine you like it?

...I have been thinking of trying out a Rope Wrench, or a unicender...

Do it! It is hard to understand the degree of wear and tear we put our bodies through in this profession. Like many things we do in life, the consequences are not immediate and therefore overlooked. I have been climbing trees a long time and have lots of reminders of that fact. Making the switch to SRT work positioning was not particularly easy for me but without doubt one of the best things I could have done.

Dave

Dave, maybe I missed your response and aside from using a Wraptor to enter, why do you think srt is less wear and tear on your body over drt ?

... why do you think srt is less wear and tear on your body over drt ?

Hey,Greg. It is a hard thing to explain in a way that makes sense, especially to someone who is competent with DdRT. But at the root is that DdRT is an arm-strength system and SRT is a leg-strength system. This combined with faster setup and not needing to retrieve redirects, still does not begin to describe adequately just how much SRT work positioning eases the daily work load.

It is best, if you are interested, to get a tool that will allow you to try it and then do so. SRT is less wear and tear not because I "think" it is. It just is.

Dave

Sorry for the hi-jack Bonner.

Never used a spiderjack but have used a 2nd generation lockjack. I prefer a hitch, the lock jack just seemed to herky jerky, and it doesnt work so great while working on a spar (worthless actually). If you do alot of limb walking you may like it.
More of a tool for a good pruner, Im a removal guy myself......

I use the spider jack , and it's very smooth once you get used too it , it is a different climbing style and didn't really like it for the first week now I love it.now getting into srt which I found really awkward to start with it felt alien after years of drt but now I think it's brilliant.

Back