95" DBH+084+60" bar=KABOOM

Thanks Peter, I found a site for the Arboriculture and Forestry Advisory Group (AFAG). Is that what you are referring to?

Yes partly, this site has all the assessment schedules for chainsaw and related certificates.

MB, yup, over here we are told how to cut trees by A Fag. Lol.

We operate with a similar system.
Every time I bid on a state logging contract, I have to submit my whole CV in the field.
That includes proof that I have the capacity to bid on a contract of that size.
I even have to submit my yearly gross income, to prove that my company is big enough.

That is good, because it keeps the riff-raff out of the woods, but it makes it almost impossible for new guys to enter the field.

So for a newly started faller, it is impossible to work for the state, unless he/she teams up with an operator, who is qualified.

That narrows the field of competitors a lot, which makes my life easier,

But once the oldtimers like me are gone, who are going to take over.

question on the undercut............did the faller work on one side and then first remove the half completed undercut.........then move to the offside and continue the gunning and sloped cuts? Guess if you do it that way, you can see the back of the undercut: something to work with? But if you are off on your 2 cuts, then your committed to a bad second half...........so you have to be certain the offside will line up at the corner?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
question on the undercut............did the faller work on one side and then first remove the half completed undercut.........then move to the offside and continue the gunning and sloped cuts? Guess if you do it that way, you can see the back of the undercut: something to work with? But if you are off on your 2 cuts, then your committed to a bad second half...........so you have to be certain the offside will line up at the corner?

The horizontal cut of the face was made first with the 084, working from both sides until the gun was set. Then the angled cuts was made with the 660 from first one side, and that chunk removed with a vertical bore from the front. Then the same from the other side. Because the center of the tree was so rotten, essentially the faller only had to shape up the outer ends of the hinge. What happened in the middle was rather moot.

If the wood is sound all the way acrosss, then it's much more important to match the middle, and working from one side and then over to the other does allow you to see what's going on in the center.

Where were the environmentalists? That old dead fir was valuable habitat.

The rind was the cream in that tree. Oh, baby, clear and vertical all the way. Would have made some good timbers for sure.

Only removed as a hazard to a heavily traveled through route on the NF, Jerry. And I do sometimes get a complaint or two.

Yeah...a tree like that would flatten a station wagon full of family like a beer can under a crummy tire.

I was mostly answering for the newbies who may not have seen the whole thread...I knew you were in the loop.
;)

It does stand out in a faller's portfolio to have a few in that range on the tally sheet :).

Yessir. For the most part, people get it about hazard trees. A few wanted to quibble about the definition of one, though.

That was a great time, having you here for the climbing instructor's workshop and to visit, Pete. You made a big impression on a bunch of those instructors...particularly the APHIS guys, your name comes up every year since.

Sometimes even in a positive way :P.

;)

Any sawyer worth the name would miss that part of the job, and I miss being able to make regular contributions to the threads on current work like I used to be able to do. I also miss being a climbing instructor, that always was fun, so much so that they ought to have charged me rather than paying me to do it :).

But I don't miss working per se, not one iota. Retirement is great. I've had no trouble adjusting at all.

Back