• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 8K
I use a 46 every day and i love it!

Ditto, 460 here. It has handled everything I have thrown at it so far. This is my only saw minus the 200t. It's even ran a 32" bar for some 4'DBH Box Elder. Gotta do whatcha gotta do:).

Vanderbilt01036.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
big weight difference between 460 and 660? seems its b/t those two now.

am also considering the Echo CS8000 just because this saw wont get the use my 361 and 200's get. But I stihl hate echo.

About two pounds. I'd get the 460.

Presently mine 66 is wearing a 28" bar although for the longest time it had a 20".

Skip the Echo and get a real saw. If you can't afford the Stihl then at least get a Husky or J-Red. The 372 (2171 in Red) is one of the best saws ever made and they are also ending production soon. Or the 395 if you want something comparable to the 660 in size and power.

I have not heard any bad feedback from the new 441. Considering buying one myself.

If the 441 is anything like the 361 then I would go for it. If the 441 has the same anti-vibs like the 361 that feature alone would make me buy the saw. It will be a smooth operating saw and easier on your hands which is a big plus to me these days.

If the air filtration is as good as what has been previously posted that is another good reason to buy a 441. That is my biggest complaint about Sthil saws. They work great, just the way you would like a saw to perform but as soon that air filter gets a little plugged they get fiesty and tempermental. Mostly they get a little harder to start. Gets a little annoying when your trying to get a job done and it is a getting on toward the end of the day and you want to get finished up, get paid and go home. An easy starting saw with a decomp valve is always going to be my best friend.

Those 46's and 66's have been around a long time. If your not quite happy with the 441 you could always pick up a good used 66 or 46.

I'm very mpressed with the 441. The anti vibe reduces almost all pain and stress related with running saws for long periods of time.

The fuel efficent design will more than pay for the saw in the long run.

Last week I ran the 441 for three days straight felling and bucking dead bone dry oaks, The air filter had a small amount of dust on it, when i cleaned it.

I'm very impressed with the saw, it seems to get stronger the more i run it.

I'm very mpressed with the 441. The anti vibe reduces almost all pain and stress related with running saws for long periods of time.

The fuel efficent design will more than pay for the saw in the long run.

That's what I'm saying. Any weight penalty compared to a 372 or 440 is more than made up for by the smoothiness. It is (to me) far less fatiguing. Any power penalty compared to a 460 is made up for by the MPG. Of course YMMV.

TS

Im not liking them we have 2. the power is ok but they are unreliable. the are both the same age and when one goes to the shop the other goes not long after for the same thing

Im not liking them we have 2. the power is ok but they are unreliable. the are both the same age and when one goes to the shop the other goes not long after for the same thing

What problems? Maybe I can head them off before they start.

TS

I've never ran one so my info is second hand from those who have .From conversations it appears to be a very smooth running saw but lacks a little in the power department .Most likely not enough though to really be detrimental .

This was the saw they used for the stock saw competition at Charden Ohio last weekend . Cutting 8 by 8's it was not all that impressive but real world situations would likely prove differently . I've never seen an 8 by 8 growing in the woods .:)

shoulda had a poll, its seems 50/50!

This is not inherent to just Stihl... All the manufacturers are struggling with the strict new EPA stuff... You guys can expect all new saws to start being a shadow of their former selves very soon...

Which truly sucks... :(

So hold on to them older models while you can...

Gary

So hold on to them older models while you can...

Gary[/QUOTE]
yup. FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picking up a barely used 360 for 300 bucks tonight, will still get a big un soon but couldnt pass up this one.

I have not used a 441 myself, but one of the contract pre-commercial thinning crews I had under contract last year ran 440's exclusively for years, then last year put 4 new 441's in the rotation...I'm talking a 12 man crew. Of course, any sawyer wants to try the new saw, so the foreman doled the 441's out to his 4 top performers. Within half a day, they had all demanded the 440's back, and the bottom 4 sawyers on the crew were "stuck" with them. The weight is higher than the 440 and the HP numbers are lower. Worse, within two weeks, 2 of the 4 new 441's had overheated and were back at the Stihl dealership getting re-built or replaced under warrantee.

I love the anti-vibe on my own 361, and I bet the 441 is a nice saw to run, but I'm not sure I'd go with a 441 myself.

For what it's worth, there is absolutely nothing that is as hard on a chainsaw as PCT work...nothing. Perhaps under less demanding conditions, the overheating may not be so much of an issue. Or if you do a decent muffler mod to help the heat get away.

Burnham, I think you're dead on with the heat/ muffler modding suggestion. And that will be a factor on ALL new saws. My newest Husky 346XP has a catalytic converter muffler, for Pete's sake! It ran scary hot when I first got it, so hot that the factory put heat reflecting tape on the bottom of the front hand guard (chain brake lever). I was afraid to really use it more than 10 minutes before draining it, boxing it up and shipping it off to get modded. No way in Hell would that saw hold up in stock form.

How are you online so late, B?

Testing a new dialup account for my FS laptop at home. The darn thing gets tossed off the hookup every 20 or 30 minutes for some stupid reason. It's for use when I am in travel status and don't have wireless or cable internet access. I won't be using it often from home, but will try it out some this week I guess. My usual pattern will continue after that, for the most part...:).

I started out in the bush treespacing(thinning). Tough work and tough on saws for sure.

It was just supposed to be for a summer, but one thing lead to another and never ever did make it back into any kind of schooling.

Back