First MS 441 rebuild...

Here is an example of what government compliance can do to a saw. The 066 up until about 1995 was outfitted with a dual port exhaust. The saw was rated at 7.7HP. The OSHA decided it was to loud, and required Stihl to fit a quieter exhaust. Then the EPA required less combustion product emissions. What we ended up with was this little peashooter exhaust (fist pic). The current MS660 is rated at 7.0HP. The original Magnum Dual-port setup is still available though, PN 1122 140 0603. This is parts book saw modding. Looking for previous parts, or parts available in other countries that may be less restrictive and yield more HP.

Attachments

• 100_3337 (Small).jpg
    100_3337 (Small).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_3330 (Small).jpg
    100_3330 (Small).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_3334 (Small).jpg
    100_3334 (Small).jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 65
There is a big difference between a modded saw being used for record cuts at a logging show and a saw running 8 hrs a day in hardwood, like mine do.

There can be a big difference too, between saws modified for racing, and ones modified to be a working saw. Racing guys often use different fuels too.

I think you have to use some common sense on this saw modding thing .

You just cannot modify a 70 cc saw to replace a 100 cc saw . a 70 for an 80 is within grasps though .

Some cases there is just no substitute for cubic inchs .

I really don't know anybody that doesn't like a snappy well powered saw though or at least I've never heard of any .Then too we on this side of the broad Atlantic just have to tinker with things ,we can't seem to help ourselves .;)

Then too we on this side of the broad Atlantic just have to tinker with things ,we can't seem to help ourselves .;)

I think a lot of truth in that, Al, and on that side of the Pacific too. I'm still looking for a friend here in this dang country, who I can talk with about modifying saws.

We're just different . They don't do squat with a saw in England either .Act like it's a big deal to pull the screen out of a muffler like it's something magical .

Some cases there is just no substitute for cubic inchs .

.;)

That is actually pretty close to a Carroll Shelby quote: " you just can't beat cubic inches"

(quoted by memory, so don't hit me over the head, if I got it a little wrong)

Well on one forum I used to visit a few just elaborated to no end how their saw ,only because it was built by a certain builder they worshipped would just cut circles around a much larger one .

Not a big deal if all they were cutting was 12 inch firewood stock .Bury that thing in some good sized stuff for an extended period of time and I'll bet dimes to dollars the outcome would be different . No matter how you do it a race horse will never replace a Clydesdale .

I bought a 441 with a 28 inch bar for $729 at the Stihl dealer a few months ago. I have no complaints about it. It starts and runs well and have even used it on a 30 inch Alaskan Mill to make boards out of some 24" mahogany logs. I bought the 441 because it was much cheaper than the 460 and I don't have need for a mid size saw that often. 98% of my work is done with a handsaw or my MS200.

Ported saws ,love em .

My little hot rod Rocky special is the hottest saw I own .I do luv that little saw .It will in fact outcut a Mac 125 on 12 inch stuff .

However ,were I dumb enough to hook that thing up on a 32" bar and run it like a maniac in 30 oak I would break his little back in short order .Which would be a sad day indeed .

Big saws are made to run all day with long bars running flat open .Mid sized saws are made for hit and run and will also do it all day .However ,you push over the line you will kill them .Not good .

I think a lot of truth in that, Al, and on that side of the Pacific too. I'm still looking for a friend here in this dang country, who I can talk with about modifying saws.

let someone mechanical run your hotrods and then when they ask what or how your in like flynn

Back