• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 9K
Don't know whatever happened to Greffard, but I still have a Greffardized 394 work saw that pulls 3 feet of chain through hardwood like it ain't there.

Dennis fell out of favor when he fell into a booze bottle and didn't build or return a bunch of customer's saws. He did, however, keep their money.

Years ago when I visited Dan Nelson in Atlanta (before he turned to the Dark Side), I had the opportunity to run his Greffardized 3120. It was brand new and on its first tank of gas. In the middle of the second cut it spun the flywheel key.

Koa man, not exactly sure what you mean by "slow down" (losing torque and rpms in the cut?), but you might want to do a tear down on that 346 to remove carbon buildup. A "couple of years" is plenty long enough for carbon to detract from performance.
Maybe the rings are worn, a ported saw can be hard on rings if the port shape and edges aren't rounded enough.

Timberwolf was my saw mod mentor, taught me how to modify a 359.
His saws are awesome.

I have had some dealings with Dennis and he helped me out and was better to communicate with than many others I had deals with.
Don't know much, but he did good the deal we did.

At the time I was new on internet and did not understand much, but the crap said on AS I don't give much for.

I think it was his turn in the sling that time...

the new 372 xpw is lighter and has more pony power than the older version, bailey has the best $ but ya gotta buy the bar and chain seperate, mines turned up just a fuzz and it screams, especialy with a swipe off the rakers...it is a sweet saw

the new 372 xpw is lighter and has more pony power than the older version, bailey has the best $ but ya gotta buy the bar and chain seperate, mines turned up just a fuzz and it screams, especialy with a swipe off the rakers...it is a sweet saw

I had 2 XPW's till my ehp one was stolen....the weight is unchanged....and the power is no better either (75 vs 71 cc, but less aggressive port timing etc, till it's wood ported, then it comes alive.

main weight variations are based on how the saw is set up. West coast version with big dogs and full wrap adds a good pound.....

The Univent sold by Bailey's has been woods ported, so, depending on how much work has been done, could be putting out between 6.5 and 7.5 horsepower.

They are advertising a sale on Jonsered saws in the newspapers in the Minneapolis area. Bring in any trade in and get up 150.00 dollars off. That makes the CS 2171 Turbo 644.95. I have a E-lectric chain saw that inherited that I think I may have just found a use for.

I bought a 3120PP from dan henry after isabel a few years ago, pure evil. over 12 hp. and I put a 32" on it. cuts like a mofo.

Out of respect for the many builders ,both pro and amatuer ,they all seem to fall out of favor for one reason or another .Some is justified while often times it is not .

To further elaborate and repeat I've ran saws done by a number of builders but in a GTG environment which is entirely different than under actual working conditions .

It's really not that hard to build up a good working type saw but to build an exceptional one does take some talent . I can't think of one builder that hasn't screwed up a time or two if they admit it but a majority of them will rectify the problem if given a chance .

I only do my own so if I screw up ,which I do ,the only one I pizz off is myself ;)

True enough, Al....Dennis Greffradized 4 saws for me....all ran well.....before he went loco....my 3120's compression dropped, so we lightly honed it after reringing it...it's back to about where it was..which was surely about 13 hp....

Dan Henry did 2.....the 7900 is just OK......hard to start when warm...and loses to a well built 372.

Ed Heard did a bunch...all were good...save the latest, a 75 cc 372 that had low compression and was underwhelming...it was stolen as was my ehp 357 that was a screamer for its size. Another 372 he did was smashed by my (then) motley disfunctional crew......it was super strong.

Ed was a slacker with my 5100 and 346 mufflers, all he did was add two holes, which made them triple ported and overly loud, in the case of the 346 which is an empty can.....both run like bats outta hell, though!

Gonna get a 346NE, have it built, as well as one of my 7901's and my last remaining unstolen/broken 372/75......looking for a builder...have a line on a coupla PNW guys who are low key, or don't build a lot of saws....

I'm not sure what happens to some of these guys ,again no disrespect intended .It could be that they get overwhelmed with work ,have health problem ,get into some bad habits or any other number of things .

Just for example in my own little life in addition to maybe a dozen of my own saws I have at least that many awaiting repairs of one sort or another belonging to others .Well shucks unfortunately I have more to do than just work on saws although it's one of my favorite past times but there are priorities in life .

Having said that though if a person does something as a professional then things should be handled in a professional manner ,saws or anything else .

If I repaired electrical components on automated machinery in a lack-a- daisical manner and untimely I would be looking for another job .This one I have is too good to screw it up .This is just my life ,I can't speak for others nor am I down talking anybody

It seems that anyone who builds a woods saw, and after it's finished the compression is lower than stock, well, they're in the wrong business.

Imho, following some basics and staying conservative, will give good to great performance improvement without heading off into the unknown and taking risks.

Well,again on that subject I personally think a few builders have gotten carried away building cookie cutters . Too much pressure from this "he said she said " nonsense that a few people have interjected on internet forums .

If for example you high port a saw ,it's going to loose some compression simpley because you are cutting the exhaust loose too high on the power stroke . The thing will gain rpm's which most think you need but more often loose some lugging power which you don't need on a working type saw .

Nothing more annoying to me than a saw that has no grunt which you must baby to use . Of course I'm old school from an era when saws had grunt like a Clydesdale horse .Old habits die hard they tell me .;)

i bought a 372xpw a couple of weeks ago.

it came with a 28" bar with skip chain.i finally fired it up today for the first time.i was going to drain the fuel and leave it in the box for a few years but i couldn't control myself.
this thing flat rips.went through 26-30" red oak rounds like nothing.ripped them in half just as easily.this was all on the half tank from the dealer for the initial start up and test they performed.i can't wait until it breaks in.i love the big dogs but i may have to shit can the full wrap handle. the dealer told me they tried to order another one after firing up mine but they are now back ordered.glad i got it when i did.paid $750 plus tax.

if you can get one,i would highly recommend you get moving on it.i like it better than the 7900 i sold my buddy.hell,'m even going to leave the 28" B&C on it.

Don't know whatever happened to Greffard, but I still have a Greffardized 394 work saw that pulls 3 feet of chain through hardwood like it ain't there.

I got the chance to run a 394 that Dennis built for a friend of mine in the late 90's on a hazard tree job on the Wind River Ranger District in SW Washington, and then later I tore it down for a new piston and rings. The porting in that saw was the finest I've ever seen, and I've worked on/rebuilt saws from 14 different builders- including Walker's, Dave N., EHP, and Phil's Saw Shop.

The transfer ports were what stood out. The lower transfers were conservative and the upper transfers were shaped like the end of a P.A. horn, and the finish was perfect. That 394 regularly out-cut a muffler-modded 084 on the same job, both running 42" bars and full-skip 3/8".

I LOVE the 046BB that Freakingstang built for me!!!

Steve is a highly talented engine builder. I wouldn't hesitate to pay him to build me a worksaw.

Well,again on that subject I personally think a few builders have gotten carried away building cookie cutters . Too much pressure from this "he said she said " nonsense that a few people have interjected on internet forums .

That's pretty much it Al. Ego clashes and chest beating always serve to lower the quality of any sport or industry, regardless of the nature of it.

Another factor is that I think many talented builders started off doing saws for the fun of it, then they took on a huge workload and it was no longer fun- in fact it became misery and drudge. Combine that with the fact that many mechanics aren't the best businessmen and you have the recipe for a melt-down.

Thanks fellas!!
This is going to be my next saw.

Rick, you might consider asking Tree Sling'r. He's not doing a big volume of saws but he is building high-quality work saws and he's fast.

I LOVE the 046BB that Freakingstang built for me!!!
I first met Freak a couple of years ago at a GTG at Woodsjunkeys in eastern Ohio . He really don't know much at the time but he hung in there . He hung around and tipped few brews with myself ,Gyp ,big Dave Cliff Helsel and a few more . He at one time had a thing for hopped up Camaros I guess had some rather fast ones .Also a good golfer of all things .

As far as building hot saws ,nobody is born with the ability ,you have to earn it .Everybody in this life one way or another pays their dues .

I first met Freak a couple of years ago at a GTG at Woodsjunkeys in eastern Ohio . He really don't know much at the time but he hung in there . He hung around and tipped few brews with myself ,Gyp ,big Dave Cliff Helsel and a few more . He at one time had a thing for hopped up Camaros I guess had some rather fast ones .Also a good golfer of all things .

As far as building hot saws ,nobody is born with the ability ,you have to earn it .Everybody in this life one way or another pays their dues .

i never met Freak but i always had respectful dealings with him before i got banned a few times.:lol:

You better make sure ole Steve (freakinstang) actually built the saws he had.

it came with a 28" bar with skip chain.i finally fired it up today for the first time.i was going to drain the fuel and leave it in the box for a few years but i couldn't control myself.
this thing flat rips.went through 26-30" red oak rounds like nothing.ripped them in half just as easily.this was all on the half tank from the dealer for the initial start up and test they performed.i can't wait until it breaks in.i love the big dogs but i may have to shit can the full wrap handle. the dealer told me they tried to order another one after firing up mine but they are now back ordered.glad i got it when i did.paid $750 plus tax.

if you can get one,i would highly recommend you get moving on it.i like it better than the 7900 i sold my buddy.hell,'m even going to leave the 28" B&C on it.

hmmm.

I only have one 372XPW left after my ehp one was stolen. It is bone stock, and is a dog, compared to my 6401 Makita that is now a 7901..... also bone stock. I know that it will wake up with aported muffler (been too lazy to install the one from a smashed 372-the used on that Ed ported that was the fastest 372 I've run)

Speaking of EHP ,I don't have a clue what's going on with him or that website .:? Anybody that does is not making it public knowledge either .

Speaking of EHP ,I don't have a clue what's going on with him or that website .:? Anybody that does is not making it public knowledge either .

I have asked a bit around, but found no answers. Jokers is reported "missing" on other web-forums as well......:?

Back