3120 sprocket questions

timbertramp

TreeHouser
I was wondering if anyone here knew where to get a 3/8 drive 8 tooth sprocket for a 3120xp. I know the 2100 could run 3/8 chain but husqvarna only seems to have them set up for 404 and I don't really want to convert my 395s to 404 to keep everything simple

Are you looking for a spur sprocket drum in 3/8 for your 3120 or a rim sprocket?
Standard 7 spline 8 tooth rims can be bought from any saw dealer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They only seem to have the 404 rim I'm trying to find a 3/8 room for it. But the dealer says they can't get them here in michigan.

That doesn't make sense. There are two brands available almost anywhere ....Husqvarna (Oregon) and Stihl.
As a matter of fact Oregon makes Stihl's sprocket rims.
Look in the yellow pages and find a chainsaw dealer.....and don't ask specially for a 3120XP.
Just say you want a 8 tooth - 3/8 rim sprocket for a 395XP.

The dealer is telling me that husqvarna put a larger crank in the 3120 so that its limited to 404 now for some safety bs

The dealer is telling me that husqvarna put a larger crank in the 3120 so that its limited to 404 now for some safety bs

If your :|: dealer wont help you. I have plenty of new ones in a bin on a shelf for locals and my own saws. Can put one in a bubble wrap envelope if needed. For cost of 3/8 8T standard rim, bubble wrap envelope and shipping.

I'm about a hour SE of Toledo so I wouldnt think it would take long in the mail. But have noticed since USPS shut down 3rd shift the mail is at a snails pace. What used to take 1-2 days max in state now takes 4-5 days. :twak:

I may do that. I'm still waiting for the saw to show up. I just wanted to ask the tree housers about it before I purchased the saw. I knew my 2100 ran 3/8. But when the dealer told me I couldn't order a 3120xp in 3/8 I figured I'd ask. It's just gonna be a play saw anyway.

On a side thought, if I switch it over to 3/8, would the chains hold up of I had the saw modified with a big bore kit and ported? After all this saw would only be for playing/showing off. I'd still drop trees with it, but with 2 395xp's it won't have to be my primary saw.

Ok Timbertramp from your fourth post I see you ordered a 3120XP.
Is it new? If it is that's quite the undertaking and congrats on your beast of a saw. I see the problem of ordering the saw with 3/8.
For a race saw or Gtg saw 3/8 will hold up just fine.
I've run 3/8 on my Yamaha bikesaw with no problems and it's pushing in the 40 HP range.

I didn't get to order a new one, but an old friend of mine down south bought one and only used it a few times and decided it was to much to carry around all day, so he sold me the saw. I figured I'd mostly use it on my mill. But I've really just wanted one for years.

Ymmv? I'm not real good with abbreviations

How many cc is big bore kit to 3120?
Oregon bible say it uses STD 7 spline same as the rest of the 60cc + saws so get a 3/8 rim for it should not be a problem.

I still want to hear about this big bore 3120 cylinder for a WORK saw. Tell us more please.

I know there are many out there to be used for RACE saws but not WORK saws.

My 2 3120 I owned. 1 racer, 1 stock, muffler mod, unlimited coil for work and practice. Well had 3 but it was a parts saw I sold to a racer for a build.

Why not work with a big bore saw, one of my 395s has had a big bore kit since a month after I bought it brand new, mod muffler the day it came out of the box.

stock one mentioned above with 3/8 I ended up trading for a 346, 262 and a metal cant stand.

BB365alky 009.jpg BB365alky 008.jpg BB365alky 006.jpg

stock mm unlimited 9T 3/8 in video goofing off for fun.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/26MwquYFUS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why not work with a big bore saw, one of my 395s has had a big bore kit since a month after I bought it brand new, mod muffler the day it came out of the box.

Please tell us where you are going to get a big bore 3120 cylinder for a work saw? I know there is all kind of aftermarket ones for all the other saws. Just never seen one for a 3120?

Are you saying you bought a brand new 395, pulled the OEM stock bore cylinder and put a aftermarket big bore on it instead?

I wouldnt have done that till the oem top was toast.

I bought it to be my saw. So might as well make it run the way I wanted it to while it was still pretty.

The big bore kits that I have had success with is an eBay seller. The kits are actually made by a Harley Davidson company

Back