200T: Truly the best climbing saw in the history of the universe?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

After deciding on a new Echo 355 over a used Stihl 192, I was noodling through CL one more time and found a very cherry looking 200T right down the road with a 16" AND 14" bar for $335. (Sometimes even a blind pig finds a truffle...)

After a few back-and-forth texts and a bunch of no-show buyers, the guy still has it, and I'm going over to take a look tomorrow.

Now I'm wondering:

1. how to examine and test a used saw? (The one saw I have, I bought new.)
  2. are there any common problems for the 200T? Maybe the answer is no, given that it fell to earth perfected in the mind of Odin! ;) But folks seem to struggle with the carbs sometimes...
  3. is the price fair? Should I even bother to haggle or just pay the guy what he's asking?

very good price if in good condish....

look on EBay for how much they going for ;)...you can get a New one in box for over $2000... lol

Re thread title, 201 is every bit as good imo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thread title is pretty tongue in cheek, I promise!

I agree, Cory and Samuel, folks seem pretty happy with the 2nd Gen. 201...I just can find a used one locally.

In terms of what to look for: good throttle response, four strokes at WOT but settles in the cut, oiler works, chain tensioner works, switches work, clean(ish) air filter & fuel filter, good looking plug, what else?? Scabbard and scrench would be nice...

Any common problems?

Thread title is pretty tongue in cheek, I promise!

I agree, Cory and Samuel, folks seem pretty happy with the 2nd Gen. 201...I just can find a used one locally.

In terms of what to look for: good throttle response, four strokes at WOT but settles in the cut, oiler works, chain tensioner works, switches work, clean(ish) air filter & fuel filter, good looking plug, what else?? Scabbard and scrench would be nice...

Any common problems?

I had a problem with running over on idle, I spent a fortune (well 300 euros!) on trying to fix it. It was according to some, crank bearing leaks, or carb issues. No one fixed it so got a 201.

How old is it?

I have an 020 and two 200's...had to change fuel tank breathers on both 200's...minor, other than that have never had a problem with them at all.
Just remember to take out the spark arrestor and throw it away, re-tune and good to go.

Being as I would have had to pay OVER $1000 for a 200t, I reckon $335 is a fantastic price. But they were like what, $550 new in the States...so again, how old is it and how much has it been used?

I bought Willard's used 200t three years ago and he had used it pretty well, it's still going strong...

Bearings and seals are what usually kills most of them.

It uses a seven roller caged bearing which has an internal fiber thrust washer .With high hours they develop side slop which take out the seals .The fix is replace same,about 60 dollars for parts .I've done several .

Being as I would have had to pay OVER $1000 for a 200t, I reckon $335 is a fantastic price. But they were like what, $550 new in the States...so again, how old is it and how much has it been used?

Great questions, Fiona. I haven't asked about age, and from what I can find Stihl uses randomly generated serial numbers (after the first digit, which indicates country of manufacture), so you have to call them to get a ballpark idea of the date a unit was built. (I'm pretty sure that the model in general was introduced in 2008 and phased out in 2012.)

This one is supposed to have been a homeowner saw with minimal hours...

Yah imo the 200 was awesome but you'd better have a spare one, because it's going to end up buggering up. Endless carb/crank seal issues. I'd go new 201 any day over a deal on a 'used' 200. Unless that sucker is fully rebuilt its an old saw now.

If I've been following you correctly and you're just going to be dabbling in your own treework mostly I'd go new with the longest warranty possible.

Unless you plan to become a saw mechanic, pass on a 200.

Justin, I have 3 T200s and I never work on saws.
Good dealer is the answer.
Get the saw with the best local back-up.
That is why I don't even consider running Huskys. Local dealer is an asshole.

Stihl toppers. Going back in Time.....

Great picture, Mick!

Yah imo the 200 was awesome but you'd better have a spare one, because it's going to end up buggering up. ...
Unless you plan to become a saw mechanic, pass on a 200.

Sorry to hear this, Justin. The one I've got seems to have very low hours. I hope it performs well for a while, before the inevitable buggering begins!

Justin, I have 3 T200s and I never work on saws.
Good dealer is the answer.
Get the saw with the best local back-up.

If push comes to shove, I've two excellent local Stihl dealers...one of them is that Treestuff place.

Ahh. Sorry I missed that you already had it. Best of luck with it! They are all I ran when they were available new.

I'm surprised Stig that you of all people are still running 200t's. Do you get them rebuilt? Did you stock up on new ones? Hell I was onto my 3rd 201 by the time I sold and still had 1/2 a dozen of 200ts around. For residential work tophandles get wore out.

Justin, we are mainly loggers. The saws that we wear out, are the logging saws.

I have the T200s rebuildt when they wear out ( See the part about the quality of the dealer being important)
Mine is first class, and since we drop a lot of money at his place, we get treated like royalty ( not French royalty!)
We buy the alkylate from him, so with saws, repairs and all it adds up to about 20 big ones in a year.

Also, I got him to call all the dealers in Denmark and buy their T200s for me, when they went out, so we are doing good.
Will buy a 201 one of these days, just to try it out, though

I have the T200s rebuildt when they wear out ( See the part about the quality of the dealer being important)
Mine is first class, and since we drop a lot of money at his place, we get treated like royalty ( not French royalty!)
We buy the alkylate from him, so with saws, repairs and all it adds up to about 20 big ones in a year.

Stig, forget TreeStuff...if I have any problems with my saw, I'm shipping it to you!

Stig, forget TreeStuff...if I have any problems with my saw, I'm shipping it to you!

I know you are joking, but since the UD Mail dropped class 4 mail, postage has been hell across the Atlantic.
I get around it by ordering a full pallet of goods from Bailey's every 2-3 years.
Shipping a pallet costs about $2000, but with $15000 of goods on it, at more or less half price here, it works out fine.

Back