2004 international/versalift

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lonnie is definetly on the ball. I dropped him my number through his website and he called me right up. Gonna put together some info on a few different trucks for me. 8)

Good deal. He's got great driver/mechanics that can bring you a rig too. Feel free to call me if you want something looked at.

I'll keep that in mind Dave, appreciate the offer.

He's got a couple of 2000 fords with 60' versalifts that are more in my price range.

Ahhhhhh for the money and a 4WD.... Oh well.... Raptor first. :D
98GMC4x4LR352-2.jpg

98GMC4x4LR352-1.jpg

Sorry Justin.. Just dreaming mang :)

Why are you stuck on a Versalift? or, are you stuck on a Versalift? They have always been known as a low end boom.

By whom? I've only ever heard good things about them. No replacement schedule on any parts is nice too. I'm not stuck on them but mine worked flawlessly for me.

Edumacate me man, I know you have lots of experience wrenching on lifts.8)

I really know very little about them.

They are not very popular up here, the only ones around are old state trucks because they were on state bid.

I heard complaints from our local big utility contractor, Lewis Tree.

They had been buying the ALC's and getting 10 yrs or so out of them between rebuilds. They tried Versalifts but they aren't lasting 2 or 3 yrs without major work needing to be done.

To be competitive with Asplundh & the others they have started buying the Hi Rangers and Altec's because they are about 1/3 of the cost of the ALC

The ALC's would last so long they would take them off and remount them on newer cab and chassis.

Hmm. Mine was 19 years old and nothing major done to it ever, definetly no rebuild. I've got a pretty complete history on my boom from the fellow that I bought it from and from the original owner. Many many thousands of hours on it.

I wouldn't buy into the "no replacement schedule" deal either.

ALC wants you to change cylinder rods every 8 yrs. Steel fatigues, and everyone's does.

A few grand in rods over 8 yrs is nothing $$$

Hmm. Mine was 19 years old and nothing major done to it ever, definetly no rebuild. I've got a pretty complete history on my boom from the fellow that I bought it from and from the original owner. Many many thousands of hours on it.

Squish, over 19 yrs the nuts and bolts fatigue. Everything needs some sort of periodic rebuild/maintenance

download.php

Even new shit fails, probably more so than older stuff made of pre recycled steel.

I'll agree but there was nothing major done to my boom that I'm aware of. Inspected annually and some minor repairs here and there. I got a file of all of the stuff done to it when I bought the truck and if there was some kind of a major overhauling I would think that the receipt would've been in there as the receipts/inspections for all the years and stuff were in there.

I'm not saying it's right or might not have had a catastrophic failure in it's future but that's the history of my versalift as I know it and it still passed it's last inspection with flying colors.

Was your old one over center?

Yup 110 on the bottom 220 on the top I beleive, but yes overcenter upper and lower. I could overcenter the lower and get out of the bucket onto the ground all the way around the truck.

That's the one I was trying to link to. On your recommendation I'm going to try to search out some ALC's as well.

Back