Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you think of this cut?

TreeHouser Sponsor theTreeSpyder's Avatar

1 man Chainsaw mainstream debut 50's thru 60's
    Put luckily for us
    Beranek and Dent leading the pack first in the timeline, and capturing it so in it's rawness to hand it down so...
    i honestly can't conceive of any other(s) doing any better for us, straight up out of the box with da'chit in those times, truly pioneering in may ways!
    Dr. Shigo, already up and running grabbing new toy to spiral deeper with research and already setup in professional training that lends to reporting
    >>but still a phenomenon in his own rite, once again so lucky it was him investigating and reporting.
    Also feel lucky to be in such a time of growth in climbing gear influenced by other professions and the advancements made in understanding rather than violating tree Nature.
    Of course there's the being on the greatest tree forum in the world timing too!
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
    We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
    ~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Haha, for sure!!!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    Not a mad man Gary.

An experienced, highly capable bloke using his abilities to pull off a dangerous job.
    Totally agree, Mick....superbly talented and experienced, confident enough of his expertise that he craved the challenge.

I guess the madness would be some of us mere mortals considering such a thing.
    Gary

No matter how many times I see the pics, I’m still blown away every time.

Wonder where the lumber ended up, and how the boards looked. Wonder if those folks that own the boards know any of the history of it’s origins.

By Jer's own admission iirc, that tree went to hell on contact with mother earth. Not salvageable. But I'll defer to Jerry if he says differently today, of course.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Wow - what a waste!

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

Indeed, Butch, I agree. The company (Louisiana Pacific) should have left it standing, and that's not in retrospect either. I felt the same back then. But LP was on a campaign, explained to me by the foresters, "To fall all remaining old growth on their lands. Convert it all to second-growth! They didn't care if the trees broke. Bucking chunks.

I seen the Rockport tree as an opportunity to pull off one of the biggest stunts in my career.

I actually topped out a larger redwood in Redway, along the South Fork of the Eel, but there wasn't anybody there to take pictures. That tree still stands today, without its top of course. Local folk shut that job down.

Win some lose some.

Now about the Bender cut... and Daniel M. I figured he would've chimed in by now.

Remember this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kindling%201r.jpg   kindling%202r.jpg   kindling%203r.jpg  

Wow, was that the wrath of Jerry?

No doubt by request from the toothpick factory

It was in his way...