Hand Filing - Free-hand

Honestly, with the price of files, I can't be bothered to brush them, dip them in vinegar..........whatever.

I try to look at how doing things compare to however many dollares I need to make an hour to make it worthwhile.

Only place that doesn't figure in is in weight saving.

I happily pay the price for light bars, just like I happily shelled out the dough for the new MS462 for the whole crew, when it came out.

But if the price of a round file is what makes or breaks you, something in your business setup is wrong.

When one is limited in opportunity to earn money, saving money is like earning money.

If your Opportunity Cost for cleaning files is doing less work, it doesn't "pencil-out".

Oh, I knock them against something hard for every 3rd tooth, to knock the filings out of them.

Somebody ought to rip Stihl America a new a-hole, really.

We are still waiting for the 500i.
They keep postponing the release day.

I carry carb cleaner in the truck, a quick squirt on files helps. Soon as the file doesn't cut right, it's scraped.

I use the file with both hands to sharpen... also use the file to scrape clean the little angle line you're supposed to follow... helps me keep count of which tooth i started on too, when i don't have a sharpie in the field...

Those first pics of the saw chain were pretty funny. sorry.

Hate sharpening without a Sharpie! I've got one in the Jeep with my filing tools, and one on the bench. With my contacts in, I can see to file, but it's hard to see if the tooth has already been filed.

I file vertical so its a lot easier to see and control angles and files position in tooth. There is no limit to how good it can get. If you are content in what you have then you stop learning and develop a finer skill. Most pro's I have here can't file very well and I do it for them. Same go for the machine operators.

Chains are best the second half ast they have better saw dust space. Keep riders high about 0,5mm you have a chance to get chain to last a bit longer.
File often. As soon as you notice you lost a bit cutting speed you file. Always stay sharp. If you wait and need more than two, three strokes you get behind the tempered zone of cutter and loose durability.
Low rider is often low as compensation of a dull tooth. Its not good and increase wear, risks, vibrations, fuel costs, efficiency and actually cut slower if you time it.

Corner! Thats were the cutting start and the shape of it will decide result. Even if its razor sharp the shape will decide durance. More beek, less runtime.
I have them more.

Keep file clean. One stroke, turn file half a turn so you don't push crap in file, file tooth, wipe and repete. No need for bruches or washing constantlt then. But when file is dirty, you wash it. When it gets dull dip it in apple cider vinegar and was it again. It eats of the burr on the files cutters. I have over 200 filings on my best file so far. Vibrations dull files so keep it steady, slow and let it cut as it should. Its a cutting tool, not grinding tool. Vertical you have better control and sight. Its closer to you and as your arm move more natural it won't get that bow movement you get if you are over chain when filing. Fix tooth so it is still with two fingers.

Look like a bit harder wood you cut. I would have less angle, around 20-25 degrees, you look closer to 35 degrees.
Your dust look broken rather than small. Usually this happen when riders are too low for wood to curl up nicely in cutter.

Great description, Magnus, thanks. I have started filing vertical also and I can certainly see the cutting edge of the tooth better.

If in my trailer I try to set up a shop light ... clamp on light so I get reflection off the edge to help. If outside I try to be sure the sun is at the best angle to help with that reflection.

I always do the 1/2 turn, stroke and then wipe the file thing Magnus mentions, makes a big difference. But Ive never tried the apple cider vinegar thing. Anyone else tried it?

What are you wiping it on/ with? Seems like it would take a lot of extra time, but if its cutting better, its cutting faster. Do you tap the file?

Sometimes a tap but most often just wipe with fingers. You can feel it getting clean. Takes minimal time but yes leads too faster/better filing and longer file life.

Nah the filings come off on your fingers

What are you wiping it on/ with? Seems like it would take a lot of extra time, but if its cutting better, its cutting faster. Do you tap the file?

I wipe with my gloves mostly the thin nitrile or ugly style, yes I tap the file either on the side of the bar or the H stand I made for the tailgate. It helps keep the file a little less clogged or at least in my mind it does.

I find they don't tap clean nearly as well or quickly as just wiping them clean. I keep meaning to try hardening a file even more and see how long it lasts. Oregon files actually are not very hard, and one file can easily file through another as if they are just as hard as saw chain. But maybe they need to be a little soft to have a self sharpening effect at the file teeth get worn down instead of rounded over.

I won't buy an Oregon file any more. Been through way too many and fed up with how quickly they die. I've thrown away files after 3 sharpenings before. I hate paying the extra money for Stihl files but at least they are harder than the steel in the chain. Worth the price for the lack of aggravation.

I don't know why I never thought of it. Stihl chain stays sharper longer, that's all I try to use, so Stihl files should stay sharp longer too. I've just never looked into them.

I'm with Brian, re files.

I toss them pretty quickly, even Stihl. I have better ways to spend my time than fighting a dullish file...or a dullish chain, either :). It's far easier to get a good accurate edge on the cutters with a sharp file.

In my opinion Oregon files are both soft and too aggressive .Hard chain like Stihl will knock the teeth right off them in no time .Save edge and Pferd would would be a better choice of file .

I've been running Stihl chain and files for years. If only I could run Stihl bars on the 395 also. I had some gadget from Baileys years ago, but the slot was not in the right place.

Back