Tension Released Felling Cut

Hell, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to break out my speedline kit...

When you say "speedline kit"...what all are you referring to Butch? I use carabiners and loop slings quite regularly to slide small stuff out. Do you have a dedicated kit, as in pulleys/blocks/trolley/whatnot?

I don't use all that - just a half-dozen lines with snaps on them. I don't control the descent - I let em fly.

I wondered if the snap gate would abrade the line as it bounces along. Probably minor. Captive eye is nice for no risk of crossloading. Lots of metal for the wear surface. Cheaper than steel 'biners, probably?

Speed lines are cool. Most times I ever used one was in small backyard trees, lightweight shit, where the ground man just held the line and moved around as needed to keep the work clear.

Now I think Roger Barnett has to take the record for speedlinng out the heaviest chunk.

Yarders though are the most advance speed lines of all.

I've never used a speedline. I think I should try it. I suppose I could dabble with it with 4' hanks of 1/2" and some steel screw gate caribeaners I have around, no?

It's a method I was never exposed to, and as a result, its never been on my mind to try it. I'm going to change that.

We use a z rig with a redirect usually to tension the line. Loop runners could easily be replaced with pieces of rope and knots. We use steel screw gates on the line and let em run for the most part. You just let the z rig out and time your landing. Now if you have to worry about the hit of the landing, go with a pulley and a control line. Rarely do we need to worry about it in my neck of he woods.

I've been in treework for over ten years now, and still haven't speed-lined a tree.:|: I've got the kit all made up and everything. I talked to a guy in Bend, OR who said that he probably speed-lines almost half of his Lodgepole Pines. Now that's different country over there for sure.

speedlines rock!

I've had low, long fir limbs over rhodies. Shoot a line high for the top, use 2:1 or 3:1 MA at bottom. SL sling in middle of limb. creates V in speedline rope. tension hard to lift limb partway, maintain pulling on MA. drop cut limb while continuing to pull preventing slack. limb pops up and away from rhodie.

onehanded, baby on chest sleeping artistry---
speedline.png

normal speedlining can be a whole whorl of fir limbs attached to rigging ring with slings and biners, anchored right to chipper. no dragging.

P1020688.jpg

speedlined 3 firs, zero dragging, popped limbs up that dangled over cedar shake roof, as described above.

Thanks tons Sean!

We'll definitely give er a try when doin' Firs over the Rhodies. No shortage of those jobs in this area. :roll:

Basic Idea here Sean only with out the lift this time. I just had it tied in higher and could secure it further down where I was working off the trunk or adjacent limb and get 2-4 cuts just by Rob taking in the slack with the z rig.

Attachments

• IMG_20120406_120527.jpg
    IMG_20120406_120527.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 10
Nick (Bonner) and I were chatting the other day about making up some speedline "clips" out of prussik cord and non-locking carabiners. I've got some Samson Poly cord, (3/8", 5000#), that I'm planning to make some up with. I plan to cut some in 4' to 6' lengths and attach them to 'biners with a double fisherman's knot. I've speedlined stuff that weighed ~500#, but it's not common. I'd say 300# is probably big for most speedlining applications. I rigged up a line over a large white oak once from an adjacent oak, running up the hill into the woods. I had the big arborist trolley on it, and the ground guys would sag it to me, I'd attach a limb, or chunk, they'd tension, I'd cut it loose, and they'd pull the tagline, rolling it "up" the hill into the woods. They weren't actually having to pull hard, but the sag in the line made some pull necessary.

True. That one I just Wraptored up. Left all the rigging for the stem up near the top and my TIP and then went back down and worked the tree. SO much better than securing it over and over again while working up.

True. That one I just Wraptored up. Left all the rigging for the stem up near the top and my TIP and then went back down and worked the tree. SO much better than securing it over and over again while working up.

Might not be worth it to you, Stephen, but on one like that, I often use a screw-lock 'biner on the speedline and just flip it over a limb a few feet above me, snap it, and start speedlining. Lots quicker than tying/untying for every advance.

Sure beats hauling all the stuff up a rope ;)
Block, loop runners, rigging line, dead eye, steel biners, saw.......... Only thing I had to pull back up to me until I needed a larger saw were the biners and loop runners :D

Might not be worth it to you, Stephen, but on one like that, I often use a screw-lock 'biner on the speedline and just flip it over a limb a few feet above me, snap it, and start speedlining. Lots quicker than tying/untying for every advance.

Exactly what we did Scott. Almost like a redirect. You use the loop runner and biner to hold the line closer or above to the work, usually on the branch you are going to cut last, or to the trunk. ;) I just tied it off higher up the tree :)
We're on the same page :)

Back