helmet cam suggestions...

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Thinking about a helmet cam. Don't know squat about them. Maybe standard to all cameras, but we are looking for one to be able to extract a still photo from video. Time lapse would be cool as well for when its placed in a stationary position. Might just be a matter of which software, which might be compatible to all, but looking for an easy to edit choice.

An input is appreciated.

The Go Pro HD Hero $299 is probably the 'best' camera, in terms of framerate and quality. The mounts are all top of helmet, which doesnt work for me, and it isnt as simple as other options.
http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO...3TI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330188245&sr=8-1

The HD Drift $370, is another option that I dont know much about.
http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Definit...RDK6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330188174&sr=8-2

The Contour Roam $180, Is the camera I have. It has mounting options for side and top, which I like. There is a status button and a simple slider to power on and start recording.
http://www.amazon.com/ContourROAM-H...FSYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330188371&sr=8-1

The Drift and the GoPro both have screens, which is nice but its something to break. The Contour and the drift are waterproof, shockproof, etc. All 3 have additional cases you can purchase, affording additional water resistance and shock resistance. I know for a fact that there are a wide range of mounts available for the GoPro and the Contour and I assume the same is true for the Drift.

Time Lapse: The HD Hero does 2/5/10/30/and 60 second interval photos and the Contour will do 1/3/5/10/20/60 second intervals @ 5.0mp. Compiling the photos into timelapse is just a software thing. I use Picasa to turn the 1000 photo folders into clips, and then combine the clips into video with iMovie. I dont know if it is exclusive to the Contour but using interval photo it will take 1000 pictures in one folder than recycles the naming into a new folder. I am not sure about the Drifts timelapse capability. I know the Contour has a screw mount for a tripod which is what I use for timelapse.

Taking a still from the video is a matter of software but Google Picasa which is free can do that as can iMovie. That will work with either model.

The Contour software is ok, nothing special, necessary for changing settings which cant be done without computer to connect it to. As far as the GoPro or Drift software, i got nothing for you. I believe though that you can change the settings on both the GoPro and the Drift with the unit which is a plus but not a deal breaker for me. I don't really need to change settings a lot but it would be nice to switch from video to interval photo easier than having to connect the computer.

I got a promo code @ Amazon for the Contour it was 89ROAM89 I dont know if it still works but it was around Xmas and I got it for $89 (you guessed it!). For that price it was a great deal and I love it. I think its worth the $180 though for sure.

Check on the different mounts available and read up on settings specs for all three models, If you have any other questions I can help with let me know.

Good Luck!

I did some more reading.. A few other notes.

All 3 models use MicroSD memory up to 32 GB aka up to $40-50 for the card alone. You will need at least a class 4 I believe but the better the card the better off you are. They go up to class 10.

The Drift and GoPro both have remotes available for controlling multiple cameras and starting/stopping recording and other functions. The Go Pro has wifi built in.(other contours offer this, with the ability to use a phone as a viewfinder.)

Contour offers several different models that have better tech specs but aren't waterproof and ruggedized.

Overall I still think the contour is the best choice for tree guys. Its the simplest, its rugged, least buttons, least to break, smallest, sleekest and cheapest.

I think thats all I got.

Not just having a remote, but one that also INDICATES that you have turned the camera on or off, and recording stopped or started, is helpful. You want to know if the signal you have sent the recording unit has functioned. Just a beep can be difficult to hear. Battery life is a factor, and whether you can use rechargeables. AA type are the cheapest, and it also helps if auto functions save battery life. Video cams are notorious battery eaters. Ditto on the waterproof capability.

I'm not sure that having such a large memory card capacity is required. It may differ with brands, but the one I use will give six hours of recording time with an 8GB card, and that is at the highest quality setting. Save some money on a memory card if you can.

The contour can also be linked with your smartphone to adjust settings and view the recording picture briefly. Contour is my choice when I finally get one. I like the flexibility it affords. And it's pretty slim.

I missed where this was mentioned earlier. Oh well now you have my input:|:

The contours battery is internal and lasts about 4 hours, it cannot be replaced. Not sure about GoPro or Drift batteries.

1080p is about 8 minutes/gb so a 32gb card is about 240 mins or 4 hours. The memory card @ 32gb fits the battery life pretty well.

The contour only has one button that provides a tactile feel as to whether it is or isnt recording, its a big clunky slide switch, perfect i think.

The contour can also be linked with your smartphone to adjust settings and view the recording picture briefly. Contour is my choice when I finally get one. I like the flexibility it affords. And it's pretty slim.

I missed where this was mentioned earlier. Oh well now you have my input:|:

The contour roam can not be linked to a smart phone. One of the other contours can but not the roam.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I havent used my contour roam much yet but I will attest to the corporate warranty being good. My camera appears to have been one of the roams that had sound issues (firmware problem with the high gain noise cancellation not returning to regular level after a loud noise), I sent it back to them and they sent me a new camera a few days later, including the mounts and other stuff that came in the OEM retail package. I have since bought 2 contour brand mounts, ( this and this )and they are sturdy, now I just have to find something exciting to record! lol

I bought the camera from an authorized dealer on eBay for $200 and the mounts I ordered from the Canadian branch (see what I did there?) of this company: http://pointofviewcameras.com/

The contour roam can not be linked to a smart phone. One of the other contours can but not the roam.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

indeed, there is one that has the GPS and bluetooth which allows the video to be viewed via a smartphone or like device.

The new solid helmet cams are so much simpler to operate and have far superior features compared to my old video units. Which were of high quality and tape based recorders. And by which were a bit of a pain at times. With any helmet cam just remember to keep smooth and steady head movements and you will do OK.

I think mounting the camera and getting shots that are still is nice. Slow head movements always helps, and I keep the camera pointed down on the mount so you can see what is going on by your hands. I always make sure to look a little farther up when I am looking up for whatever reason so the camera gets the shot.

The strap mount that was mentioned looks really nice... I saw some cool shots where they mounted the camera to the ring and ring FS and it gave a great prespective.

The problem I have is that the helmet cam footage is not enough to edit into anything cohesive enough to really enjoy.

I use iMovie software. It has an editing function to reduce shaking movement in the video, and it works pretty good.

Jay, how do you carry the camera unit? I carry mine in a Camelback backpack, currently. Reg (Coates) told me he has a pocket sewn on his pants leg to hold his, but I don't think I would like it there. It would make it much handier to monitor, etc, but seems it would get in the way. I have to focus on hearing the beep when I turn it on/off with the remote, or I get out of sync with it, and wind up turning it off when I want to be turning it on or vice/versa. For the cost of a VIO, I think they could make a big improvement on the remote's quality/features. It would be great to have a power on/off switch on the remote to extend battery life. That's one definite advantage Reg mentioned...he can turn his on and off as needed so his battery lasts much longer than if it were on continually.

Scott, I know exactly what you are saying. Carrying the unit is still something I am playing with. My wife had this thick clear plastic soft zippered case for cosmetics or something, the perfect size, so i absconded it because i can see the screen through the case, and whether it is recording. It has a little loop on it that I can hang off my belt, or when working on the ground, I have just so far shoved it into my jacket pocket. In warmer whether, I dunno. I found that the wire gets in the way of things, so I drilled a little hole in the back of my helmet and use a little wire tie there to keep the wire in back, and it is better. I think a velcro flap pocket sewn into the side of a shirt would be good, hopefully out of the way but accessible.

The remote and not being able to shut it off and on is something that gets a lot of complaints at various sites where people talk about the device. I initially had a problem thinking it was recording, but it wasn't. In a pack, the signal sometimes doesn't reach, and also sometimes I ended up stopping the recording by accidentally hitting the key on the unit. To prevent that, when I start recording, I use the key lock, but obviously that can only be done at the unit. If you set it so the screen goes dark fairly quickly, it saves a bit on battery life. The remote is definitely something I wish they would improve. I can barely hear the beep on the unit when it isn't right in front of me.

It's a VIO, Nick. Jay, I wear the remote on a lanyard around my neck and hold it over my shoulder when I press the button to insure that the unit gets the signal. Reg wears his on his wrist, but I prefer the lanyard. I drilled four tiny holes in top of my helmet to mount it, then drilled two holes in the back to route a zip-tie through to hold the cord in the center of the back of the helmet. The cord hanging on limbs is another bother as I am used to just getting on through whatever obstacle(s) I encounter whilst climbing. The cord will yank you up short in a hurry though, not to mention having to be conscious of the camera on top and trying not to bash it on limbs and such.

Here are some shots of mine. Took a little doing to make sure I had the camera lined up so's what I was seeing as what it was seeing.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7
Back