Liger - Weaver Cougar Modification

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
So I did it yesterday, jury is still out... I need to do some fiddling with the setup... Has anyone else done it? I would be interested to know if you set up the rigging plates as seen in the videos or differently.

It turned the plates around when my weight was on it. I expected this and it wasnt 'uncomfortable' but It made the stopper knots go to the inside, they didnt press on me because of the separation caused by the rope pulling my bridge upwards and away. I didnt like it because I couldnt see the stopper knots... It was just a rec climb with a friend but as I got higher not being able to see the knots freaked me out.

Also It seemed to make my leg straps higher and tighter to my body, I will likely have to lengthen the bridge adjuster to longer than I previously had it set.

I will get some pictures of my rig on me how I settle on keeping it configured.

For now here is the video I used as instructions and links to the materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiim7GHbHr0

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1761

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1139

I know that some of this is rehashed info from some of my previous posts and threads, but now that I went through with it I wanted to have a thread for people to post their experiences with the mod. Plus if someone is searching for info on the Liger mod it will be easier for them to find more knowledge in one place. It would be nice if this could be separate from the debates on Weaver and Dyneema and such.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spent a little more time in it, not a lot yet, but enough to decide I didn't like as set in the video. I switched the bridge adjuster strap (the one that goes to the back of the waist) with the small middle hole he had the rope bridge in. This make the whole setup more linear which seems to me, to work better. The rope bridge, which is taut, connects to the top hole of the plates and your weight rests balanced below the bridge which keeps everything from twisting up.

I had the impression from talking to a few people that it was a major increase in comfort. I found the saddle before any modification to be rather comfortable; that being said, I cant say that I notice a huge difference in comfort after the modification.

The pros as I see it: It makes me feel a lot better than using the spliced bridges, all things considered. It does add depth in function giving you hip to hip attachment option that disperses weight to your legs as opposed to the hip belt only (if you ever tried to suspend yourself from the side dee's you know what I mean). I like the fact that I can affordably and quickly replace the bridge more frequently than with standard issue.

The cons: The cost. The time, the first two really add up to that I wish I hadn't had to do it in the first place but it is what it is. It adds a little bulk, nothing major but the plates are bigger and heavier than the rings (a guess on the weight, I didn't weigh them).

Overall I do like it, it feels comfortable and safe. Additionally it adds a few options for different choices in positioning , which is always nice.

A few pictures:

Setup:
IMG_20120220_150612.jpg

A little more about the twist that happened with the original setup. With your weight split between the top and bottom holes when the bridge is tight it makes the plate cam to the outside like you see in this picture. This also puts the big hole, which is your additional positioning option to the outside which is just a recipe for weird angles if you clipped into it, cause that would make it twist back the other way I am guessing.
IMG_20120220_150657.jpg

This is how the whole thing sits under weight. As you see it puts the additional hole forward where it would point in-line under weight.
IMG_20120220_150751.jpg

I like the idea if the Liger. I just don't know if I want to carry it that far. Rope bridging the existing rings is working well for me. I am going to try stopper knots through the rings when I change out the bridge next time. Right now the bridge is just as I did it, scaffold knots direct to the rings. The Cougar is so comfortable as it is set up for me, I doubt I could improve on that with more adjust ability. I can see where this would be a great upgrade to be able to adjust the Cougar for a more diverse cross section of body types.
You try a pully on it yet Nick?

No. Not yet. I have an extra one I might give it a shot. I was thinking the swivel would be the way to go, I got the opposite feeling from some people here at the house but I already bought it so im gonna give it some hours and decide for myself.

Ill say this, the mod doesnt add that much mobility... the leg loops dont slide loosely through plate, not that they turned loosely through the original webbing but I thought they might slide through the plate. Not so, they fit pretty tight actually. if the holes on the plate were a mm or so bigger than maybe it would have the slip and slide that you saw on the cornel rope saddle...

Makes sense. See how you feel about the swivel. I just tried my CMI micro on it at first but did not like how the edges were behaving with the bridge. But it gave me the feel I needed to experience to go ahead with the HC pulley addition.

Sure, you have the swivel, give it a whirl. What works for one climber, or doesn't, is often enough completely different for another.

Just for reference here's some pics of my Liger'd Edge. Big improvement. Only thing worth mentioning is that the stitched ends of the leg and bridge webbing have to be removed and resewn after the plates go on.

LigerEdge1Small.jpg

LigerEdge2Small.jpg

LigerEdge3Small.jpg

Looks good, did you try it set up the way countryboypa had it? With the bridge through the back hole on the plate?

Is that Imori?

Whats been your experience with the swivel? Most times I find, like B told me it would, it just conflicts things. It seems to me that ring keeps everything from twisting where the swivel lets it twist above the bridge getting things all wrapped up in a way that never happens otherwise, is that clear as mud :)?

Remember, take advantage and replace your bridge often! I have been thinking of using some Tri-Tech for my bridge?

Nope, I just went off your pics I guess. It didn't even occur to me that there would be a different config... I've been clipping into that big hole a lot over the last week with my lanyard. It's a nice point to attach that's not pulling all the way across your body.

Yup that's imori. Great double duty rope.

B was right the swivel sucks for everything except the spiderjack. With the sj the swivel helps a lot using your off hand. Other than that everything goes on the ring.

I've got tons of short stuff from splicing laying around so I should have enough bridges to get me into 2015 easy.

You saw the zubat vs tri-tech video, right? TT doesn't have any aramids in it so it's probably a safe choice.

I didnt like it that way but wondered if you had tried it. You can see on the first page, country's video is linked and my comments on it...

I did see that video and have found it inconclusive. I have always liked sterling products, so if they say its cut resistant I believe that to whatever extent it can be, it is. I realize that nothing is saw proof but any little bit would help right? Since the bridge is so critical why not? The cost isnt prohibitive as its such a short length..

Ligeredge update!

I'm clipping into those front large holes full time with my lanyard now. Much better than the side D's.

Not exactly breaking new ground since the treemotion has those lower d's but for anyone considering this mod using those plates is great. Might give a treemotion a run as my next saddle.

Ligeredge update!

I'm clipping into those front large holes full time with my lanyard now. Much better than the side D's.

Not exactly breaking new ground since the treemotion has those lower d's but for anyone considering this mod using those plates is great. Might give a treemotion a run as my next saddle.

There are so many great threads I haven't seen, and this is another one. :D
Are you still climbing with your LigerEdge saddle? How do you like it? Better? Same? Worse? :?
Seems to me it would be a worthwhile investment, 'cause I ain't gonna be buying a new saddle anytime soon..... :P
Looks like the two most obvious pro's would be easy bridge change and the ability to clip into the "lower D's"..... :thumbright:
What about restitching?, that would make me "a bit" nervous..... :\:

Ligeredge update!

There are so many great threads I haven't seen, and this is another one. :D
Are you still climbing with your LigerEdge saddle? How do you like it? Better? Same? Worse? :?
Seems to me it would be a worthwhile investment, 'cause I ain't gonna be buying a new saddle anytime soon..... :P
Looks like the two most obvious pro's would be easy bridge change and the ability to clip into the "lower D's"..... :thumbright:
What about restitching?, that would make me "a bit" nervous..... :\:

Adam,
any new updates? :?

Hey Randy, I've been climbing in a treemotion since last Nov.

I do still have the liger'd edge as a backup. The restitching is just to keep the webbing from backing out through the buckles. The chances of it happening are almost impossible, so stitching the ends over is no big deal.

The cost of the rigging plates makes it worth considering selling your saddle used and without modifications and moving to a treemotion if you're after the lower D's. There's a new TM lite at treestuff in the mid 300's I think. After having a saddle with lower d's I couldn't imagine climbing all day without them.

Thanks Adam,
I considered my "options" and decided to invest in the Liger changeover.
The big advantage is the ease of changing the rope bridge, I really like that. :D
Besides, all the "stuff" for the change over just came in and I do like the saddle so I'll keep it for "a while". ;)
I'll post an update when I get it done and try it out.
Thanks again Adam, I appreciate your feedback..... :thumbup:

bonner1040
What is the rope for the Grillon Lanyard Randy? Did the unit arrive?

Ayuh,
I'm a little embarrassed but, I'm already WAY over "budget" with the purchases I've recently made. :(
The Tri tech was just plain too much(right now)for me to buy enough for a lanyard. I did get enough for
a couple of rope bridge replacements though. I got the All gear 7/16" 16 strand rope, I like that it's cover
dependent for strength and easy to inspect for wear. Seems like a good rope for a lanyard on the Grillon.
And yes, it came in the mail yesterday. I already have it set up to use. I didn't have time to splice it(yet)so
I used fisherman's knots to put the 'biners on. I haven't "hung" on it or anything like that, but just anchoring
one end of the lanyard and "working it by hand" I am EXTREMELY(!!!) impressed with how smoooooth it is!!!!! :D
If it works that smooth up in the tree I won't even notice the "extra bulk" of the Grillon, of course now that I've
removed the screw that holds the "face plate" closed I guess now it's a Gri Gri??? :?

By the way, once again Luke took GREAT care of me on my Tree Stuff order. :thumbupold:
He put the "usual" pair of gloves in, he also threw in about a 6 foot length of Tech eleven!?! :D
I think you can see it in the pic I posted(OCGD thread?). Ayuh, I just checked, the pic is in that thread. ;)

Back