SRT base tie question

I'd take two turns around the trunk, then take a bight of rope to tie three or four half hitches. Clipping within the system is easy when there's no tension on the other side. Unclipping with the other side weighted for an emergency lower with the trunk wraps for friction would be tough.

I kind of have a issue with the whole set up. I like using a fig 8 set with a dead eye within the system for the just in case factor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shoot, I forgot about the running bowline on a bight. I like that knot.

I climbed on the biner and the delta, and neither budged. Granted, the rope was always loaded. I'll take an extra wrap from now on.

What if you're tying off the short end and climbing on the longer end, still wrapping twice at the base? I've been using just a running bowline with one wrap.

I almost always climb on the short end. Easier to pull the tail up to recrotch, plus the emergency lowering option.

Good point. I rarely try to advance the static line. Maybe I should try it more. Seems like a pain. If you are recrotching going up, don't you have to recrotch coming down?

I always climb the short end for the lowering option. I anchor with an adjustable dead eye sling, with a fig 8 attached to it.

Here's a not so great picture, but you can see the components.

Attachments

• 8-29-09 004.jpg
    8-29-09 004.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 59
I use aRunning bowline on a bight, Clip a carabiner through the loop to lock it off. I do this a lot because it allows you to climb a 40 foot tree with a 200 foot rope.

I think trunk rescue configurations are only highly called for in SRT systems that require change over and when there is a danger that the climber gets stuck on his/her one way ascenders.

there is a difference between a bowline on a bight and a bowline with a bite. I think we are talking here about a running bowline with a bight.

With a bight? I don't get that. A running bowline and a bowline on a bight are quite different but with a bight confuses me

I think trunk rescue configurations are only highly called for in SRT systems that require change over and when there is a danger that the climber gets stuck on his/her one way ascenders.

Kevin, would you elaborate a bit on why you feel they are only called for in SRT systems that require changeover? And yes, bowline with a bight is what I should have said. Thanks for pointing that out.

Tophopper, your pic is plenty clear for me. That was helpful.

I just feel that if you are ascending with say a croll and ascenders you are exposing youself to an additional hazard that is not present when ddrt or climbing on a uni or rope wrench. you are vulnerable, in that you have no easy SELF rescue. I'm not saying that a trunk rescue isnt a bad idea at all times, its just especially wise when a self rescue maybe complicated. Bees/animals or mental/ physical fatigue while ascending are two things which could lead to a bad situation if the climber has to perform a change over to descend and there is no easy ground rescue. In my opinion, If there is a capable climber on scene, an ariel rescue is preferable than lowering the climber from the ground. There is no way to support the climber or guide him around obstacles. One way ascenders make that task that much more difficult.
I tie a butterfly above my running bowline that could be clipped into with another rope that would be used to help lower.

A bowline with a bight is a bowline tied using a "bight" of rope instead of the tail. The rabbit is a bight rather than the end of the rope. A bowline on a bight results in two loops where there is normally one. there is no rabbit because it is performed ON a bight rather than with it or the rabbit rather than going down the hole does some craziness.

Kevin, thanks for the nice explanation. Changeover is a PITA, and that is why I look forward to trying your ropewrench. I like the idea of the butterfly above the running bowline. I think I'll start doing that. Just for the sake of argument, let's say the butterfly was not there, and you were the rescue person with a long rope in your bag. How would you attach your rope to the climbers rope, which is under tension? Let's say a prussic is no good since it may rub against branches on the way up.

A bowline with a bight is a bowline tied using a "bight" of rope instead of the tail. The rabbit is a bight rather than the end of the rope. A bowline on a bight results in two loops where there is normally one. there is no rabbit because it is performed ON a bight rather than with it or the rabbit rather than going down the hole does some craziness.

I see, I have always called that a doubled bowline

How would you attach your rope to the climbers rope, which is under tension? Let's say a prussic is no good since it may rub against branches on the way up.

I will use a EDK-European Death Knot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_death-knot
or double EDK. This asymmetrical knot will not jam against obstructions like symmetrical knots, which is one of its greatest benefits IMO. TDS. TDS!

Or Zeppelin Bend.

Back