Its going to be a crane job...

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
Norfolk Pines...two on the left are coming out...bid was accepted today!

I will TRY not to leave nasty stubs like last time:what:

Attachments

• IMGP6226.JPG
    IMGP6226.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why, what would you do?
Ride the hook to limb them up, sections will go straight into the trucks...

I guess they want them gone fast... :lol:
I would make them die a slow death of at least a few hours with a good crew. I don't see too many targets that would make for such a day :D
That looks like some fun right there Fiona :D

Well , do tell more! IMO They are all planted too deep (unless they don't have basil flares in Bermuda) and you are removing the 2 that look the healthiest, or is it just a poor picture?

Do what you want to do.

Good luck, have fun!

Looks like undergowth blocks the basal are to me. Although the wind might have at the remaining one in short order.

About the crane...do it. I have used our grapple to cut out trees just so I didn't have to rake as much as falling them. Cranes are sweet dude. Sweet.

My reason for asking the initial question was genuine. If Fiona and her client are trying to protect something (grass, shrubs, septic fields.....) that may be impacted from felling or rigging then thats a consideration.

If the crane is smaller (hence having to be close to handle the weight) the the set-up and protection of the above mentioned items is a time consuming job.

I was just asking why it was a crane job.

BTW Dylan, you forget I own a crane????

They are on the top of a bank right next to a road...HO don't like how much crap they drop in the road, clogging the drain and are concerned for them possibly falling on the house (and power line) in the background one day. They have been watching them swing and sway and shed branches in hurricanes for years...they keep getting bigger...they want them gone. They planted 4 there, one fell in a hurricane towards their house 7 years ago and the top hit the house.(behind where I took the picture from)
Tops on two others have busted out at least once.
There is other stuff in the way that would get a bit mashed if they were felled with branches attached. I'd still need a crane to load the sections even if I felled them one time, they are at least 35"...might as well do it all at once. And I don't like digging the spears out of the lawn when they fall with branches on...and I am tiny, I do NOT fancy blocking them down!
They are about 60' tall.

And guys...don't forget, these are BIG trees where I come from, and compared to you lot, well, lets just say you all have been at this game a lot longer...

I have seen soils where there isn't much flare in any species of tree. These didn't happen have the grade raised around them did they. My son lives and works 500km from here, seeinf a flare up there is a rare occurance!

How large a crane do you have to use?

One guy I know likes speed lining limbs right into a dump truck/trailer! That saves a lot of work and crane time on site (read profitability)!

Sorry, the wood is not valued...its going to the dump to be turned into compost. I've only ever had one client ask me to leave Norfolk Pine sections for them to age.

Flares are hidden, and the ground is as it was when they were planted...all fill and rubble underneath.
I have never done any speedlining...got three groundie grunts to drag and stack the limbs. Last one I did they trucked out the limbs and you are right it takes up too much time to bundle them and load, when I'm waiting around up top.

Here is a picture of the crane from last time...the operator is very experienced with tree picking...

Attachments

• the rig.jpg
    the rig.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 3
60 feet? Darn, Fiona, no need to block it...climb and limb as you go to 45 feet...throw the top 15 feet, drop down and throw the second 15 feet, then rap out and fell the 30 feet that are left...won't reach the road as I see it from your pic. The top will be too light to spear the turf and at the length I gave the second piece will rotate half a turn and land flat. Have the tree grunts clear while you rest, then repeat on the second one. :)

Really, don't listen to me...you sold it with crane, easy peasy for you and the grunts. :D

Fiona, are you hauling the limbs to the recycler, along with the wood?

Looks like a pretty good one for learning to do a non-controlled speedline. Clip and zip. If you had to load the branches and wanted to learn to speedline, and wanted to save some crane time, you could speedline them into distinct piles where you having some short sections of rigging line laid. When the pile is big enough, you could tie a running bowline around the bundle as a choker, and a bowline in the other end to attach to the crane hook so as to load them into the truck without lifting them by hand. Then crane out the wood.

Then again, maybe craning the whole thing would be better. And maybe grunts are cheaper in Bermuda???. Maybe crane time isn't too bad either.

Why would you want to ride the hook for limbing rather than spurring up?

Hope the job goes great, however you choose. Get some pics. There are many ways to skin a cat. Now if I only knew why anyone wanted a skinned cat.

It does seem faster and safer without the crane, even if it comes to load the wood. Or pick the bottom log instead of flopping as your feet will be on the ground anyway.:)

I'd be inclined to crane them down in two or three sections, then limb remove when they are on the ground. Less of a jumbled mess when it comes to cleanup. That would be fast and no damage to the ground. No problem then if weight is a concern with a single pick for the entire tree. You work alone, Fiona? One or two guys with saws could have the limbs off by the time the next section is being lowered.

The road is about 5'' behind the trees, and 6' down a bank. Power line there as well. Forward is the only option.
All the branches are getting chipped.

Some interesting perspectives here for sure,thanks. Again, the value of a forum (however limited to pictures long distance), for those of us with very few opportunities to watch, learn and compare others' work in person.

I would be spurring up, just attached to a sky hook at the same time, nice high tie in point, less fatigue.
Lets not forget I'm 5'4" and about 114lbs...there is a mass:energy ratio here!

Crane is $120 an hr

One or two guys with saws could have the limbs off by the time the next section is being lowered.

One good 6 point limber would have them off and have time for a cup of tea while waiting for the next section;)

For no more than you are paying for a crane, I can't argue about using it.
Around here, it's $1200 to even get one set up and usable. There is no way I'd pay that for those tree's! I'd have blown the tops and been happy. But now I better understand the reasoning.

Andy, you must not have many cranes in your area if you can't get one for less just to be sitting there ready to start charging on top of what they are already due...or, so much work that they can keep those high rates?.

Cranes are not a big thing here Jay, I want to say there are only two companies around here, Halls and Belger, that even have them. Most tree services don't even have them here, I see lots of Ashplund bucket trucks, but never a crane truck!
The cranes we have are used to set air conditioner units on roofs and move large, recover large equipment. Tree work isn't a prominent part of the work they do. When you get a crane here, you get two trucks full of riggers and a crane, they don't nut around, and you pay for that!

Back