I dropped my saw...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 7K
B

Blinky

My 200T took a 60 footer... it's broken.

I've replaced it with a 200 rear handle going on the idea that I can fix the top handle and have both. But I'm not really a wrench guy, I can change brakes and stuff but I haven't torn down a 2 stroke saw before. The engine still runs by the way.

I don't have a service manual, just an IPL. I'm thinking of buying this pdf manual but thought I should ask you guys if it's worth it.

I'm going through the saw identifying busted parts and I've come to the manifold boot. Does it just pop off of there?

Dropping it was just a stupid error that never should have happened. I lost my regular saw strap and improvised one with a runner and a couple of regular biners. I'd just gotten to my TIP and hauled the saw up. When I clipped it to my harness I saw it it fall straight down about 20', hit a big leader and ricochet out of sight. Somehow the biner clipped to the little ring on the back unclipped.

Anyway, the manifold boot, how do I remove it? ...and should I spring for the pdf manual?

I've got service for the 020T, let me know if you want it. It should be close enough to get it back together. Al may have more manuals as well.

That sucks Chip. I've dropped a couple saws but fortunately they were both short distances and the saws were fine. And then there was the one that got submerged into a stream while still running. It made an awful funny sound...

If you're buying new parts it won't be worth the cost. You need a donor saw. I'm wondering if anybody here on the forum might have a burnt up 200T sitting on a shelf or in a box somewhere.

If worse comes to worse, I have been thinking about buying another 200T just because I run the dog crap out of mine and I don't like using a saw more than 2 years old. I have three runners, my main daily saw and two backups that almost never get used. One of the backups is just barely starting to show signs of a bad crank seal but still works great. I use it as my 'palm tree saw'. If you can't find a dead parts saw cheap I'll sell you this one for $200.

I may have an extra carb boot also, I'll have to check.

Thats for going back together. Several wraps around it and pull both ends back through the carb housing, pull on the string and as it unwinds it feeds back in place

Thats for going back together. Several wraps around it and pull both ends back through the carb housing, pull on the string and as it unwinds it feeds back in place

Sounds like the same trick for installing the old-style windshields before urethane.

I dropped an 020 AV once from about 40' ... and nothing happened to it! :O Great saws, those were.

I've taken several 020T's and and made one good runner out of them . I'm not sure how many parts interchange between the 020 and 200 T .

However with a busted saw the parts though a dealer would most likely about equal or exceed the price of a new one . The Stihl corp. is very proud of their parts ,ya know .

If I have a saw break or die... I just hold it back for parts for the new saw if and when if you know what I mean. Saws are worth more in their parts than a total saw cost. But then that also depends on what broke on the saw from testing the effects of gravity.

If I remember right Blink the boot goes onto the intake port then there is a plastic square ring that sits down over that. The plastic ring takes the place of a metal clamp. Then the neck of the boot gets pulled into the air box using the string trick.

Don't forget to hook the impulse line back up before you the handle back together.

It has been awhile since I have been that deep into a 200. Once you have done it is easy.

How do you like the rear handle for climbing ????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll check the gas tank, it's leaking bar oil... which I assume is bad.

I was guessing the parts would be really high. I'll start looking around for a parts saw.

I have the IPL, it's the shop manual I was thinking I should get.

So far the 200 rear handle is a good climbing saw. I haven't had any trouble using yet but I've only pruned a big yew and cut up the oak at the scene of the crime.

I quit using lanyards because I kept cutting them using the saw on the ground. I've been using a strap with a ring. I just girth hitched the handle with it.
With the rear handle I have a cord bridging from the back of the rear handle to the handlebar and clip that to my harness.

That sucks Chip. I've dropped a couple saws but fortunately they were both short distances and the saws were fine. And then there was the one that got submerged into a stream while still running. It made an awful funny sound...

did that over the bay in newport beach to a brand new echo watched it make a bubly entry
needed a carb rebuild,

better than the one that went straight down bar 1st into the ground about 2 ft from a groundie...good luck with the rebuild

Isn't the 020T service manual about the same as the 200T one?

I think D. Shepard has the stihl CD I use and said he would send the Service manual to your email.

Back