I dropped my saw...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 7K
Ive got an 020t that I could donate. Same saw just different tank caps. The exhaust bolt holes are stripped out is all.

No problem,they are 5 mm.Just tap them out to 6 mm punch the holes a tad bigger in the muffler and put it back together .

yeah Im not that skilled, and one of the bolts had broken off inside the threads. I tried to extract it but only broke the extractor too. Its been shelved for over 6 years now.

I had to retap one of my 200's also because of stripped out muffler holes. Worked good and no more loose muffler.

The 020T and 200T has a little belleville type washer that often gets missplaced when installing the muffler .

The reason for the washer is because this area is subject to a phenominum called " creep " because of the expansion of the aluminum muffler due to heat . The washer is supposed to help this but doesn't seem to .

Bolts loosening up seems to be a problem with this saw . After they rattle around long enough the danged threads get pulled and you either have to helicoil it or take it out to the next size .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the input and offers of parts. I'm down with rocky mountain spotted right now so I'm not really doing anything but sleeping and aching. I found an HTML Stihl shop manual for all saws up to 2008 for $5 so I downloaded it.

I'll get back into the little saw in a couple of days.

Sorry you're down, bud. If you need it, I'll lend you one of my saws until you get yours fixed. Just reimburse me shipping and it's yours to use as long as you need it.

I brought it home and gave it a Burnham bath this morning (Simple Green). I dumped out the stale fuel and put fresh gas in it, she fired off on the third pull and runs fine. I don't think I've used it since last autumn. I guess I really didn't need to buy that last new 200T, huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's really nice of you Brian but I think I'm good. I went ahead and bought the 200 rear handle and so far it's been a good climbing saw.

Hey guys, been traveling, busy and just lurking from time to time. I have some 200T parts if you figure out what you need and want to try to save that saw, Blinky.
If you need me to post the rope trick pictures for the intake boot I think I have some I can put up, assuming I can find them in all the folders I have. I found a site where I can download old movies, and I found some I couldn't find to even buy, went nuts downloading and got a message "Your Hard Drive IS Full"! 500 Gigs of stuff! I even got a copy of the Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers! What a hoot that one is.
So I spent a day organizing files, deleting duplicates, moving stuff to an external hard drive, and now I can't find anything!!!
Anyway I will keep checking in and if anybody needs a tutorial or pics of how to do something just ask.

Glad to see you here, Eddie. Your pictures and advice were very beneficial on my 460 rebuild a few months ago. In fact I'll go so far as to say that your advice made the difference between success and failure. :thumbup:

Glad to see you here, Eddie. Your pictures and advice were very beneficial on my 460 rebuild a few months ago. In fact I'll go so far as to say that your advice made the difference between success and failure. :thumbup:
Well I am glad it was useful.
I put a 25" bar on my saw and used it on another big tree we had dropped at church. After about a half tank it did not want to idle so I fiddled with the screws, and after several full bar cuts it acted like it was vapor locking. I gave up and used the 441 for the rest of the big cuts. I have not looked at it yet but I am wondering if 8 more cc's is more heat than the cooling system can handle.
How is the one you did holding up, Skwerl?

Back