I dropped my saw...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 63
  • Views 7K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any luck cutting and tossing with it?

Only on snap cuts so far. I don't cut while holding much ever since I whacked my knee that time. It's not hard to one hand as long as it's below shoulder level... plus, it's easier to two hand when you're reaching than a top handle. I just like it... more than I expected even.

...could just be cuz it's a new toy.

You won't be disappointed. It's super versatile, I think between it and a mid-size likesay a 440, you can do pretty much any residential job you run into (East of the Mississippi), including the climbing. It cuts better than my 026 Pro and it's lighter.

I was thinking about buying one, but I had a chance to try one out and I quickly decided that I don't want one. I'm too used to one handing the 200T and it slowed me almost to a stop trying to make small cuts with two hands on the saw. I completely lost the ability to 'grab and toss', which is how I do 95% of my bucket work. The brush just falls wherever instead of me being able to aim the butts towards the chipper. And when I get to the slightly bigger wood where I need a rear handle saw, the 200 just doesn't have the power of my 346xp (which is only a pound heavier).

It's a decent ground saw, but too expensive to hand to most typical groundies.

That is good to hear Chip that there is another convert from a top handle using a 200 rear handle for climbing. Sure is sweet isn't it.

I was thinking about buying one, but I had a chance to try one out and I quickly decided that I don't want one. I'm too used to one handing the 200T and it slowed me almost to a stop trying to make small cuts with two hands on the saw. I completely lost the ability to 'grab and toss', which is how I do 95% of my bucket work. The brush just falls wherever instead of me being able to aim the butts to wards the chipper. And when I get to the slightly bigger wood where I need a rear handle saw, the 200 just doesn't have the power of my 346xp (which is only a pound heavier).

My apprehensions, exactly. I think it would be the Best Saw In The World for ground cutting, limbing, bucking the everyday stuff that needs to access the chipper, load chunks, whatnot. Mainly, cutting done above the waist.

I want one. :drink:

I was thinking about buying one, but I had a chance to try one out and I quickly decided that I don't want one. I'm too used to one handing the 200T and it slowed me almost to a stop trying to make small cuts with two hands on the saw. I completely lost the ability to 'grab and toss', which is how I do 95% of my bucket work. The brush just falls wherever instead of me being able to aim the butts towards the chipper. And when I get to the slightly bigger wood where I need a rear handle saw, the 200 just doesn't have the power of my 346xp (which is only a pound heavier).

I can see that. Working off a lifeline I don't do a lot of cut and hold, I either let it drop or tie it off with a runner. I don't mind one handing but cutting and holding gives me the willies unless my position is just right. I can also see how it would change your style because I've found myself two handing it a lot more than I would a 200T.

I totally agree. I'll let my son use it but nobody else, I'm the same way with my 440. The 026 and 029 are for the hired help.
You know, that 029 sat on a shelf for 5 years, fuel in it for two. I figured it was a rebuild waiting to happen. I put fresh fuel in it and it started up purring after 5 or 6 pulls.

Butch, it really is a sweet ground saw, balances perfectly with 14" and 16" bars. Not that fast for bucking... compared to a 440 anyway.

That sucks Chip. I've dropped a couple saws but fortunately they were both short distances and the saws were fine. And then there was the one that got submerged into a stream while still running. It made an awful funny sound...

That's funny I did the same to a 210 rear handle. Drained all the fluids filled it up, it took a pretty hard pull to get the thing unseized and bammo, ran like a champ ever since.

My 200T still runs... did before I started taking it apart anyway. Turns out the bar oil leak was the filler cap, the case seems to be OK so far.

I'm a big fan of my 200 rear handle, too. Perfect small ground saw, pulling a 16 in. bar. I'll stick with the 200 T aloft.

Back