S Bend

DMc

TreeHouser
I was asked to take a look at this tree to remove. I can't remember seeing a Ponderosa with more of an S bend than this tree shows. Can't quite figure how it achieved this shape because it is growing in a stand of "normal" Ponderosas so it should have had the same protection they had during its development. Possibly snow load?

This tree is well balanced, anyone see any problems with placing the undercut on the left side (as viewed from this photo). That is the best drop zone. Not a particularly large tree, dbh approx 26", height around 75'.

Dave

Attachments

• S bend pine.JPG
    S bend pine.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 17
  • S bend pine 2.jpg
    S bend pine 2.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 15
Seems like that would work. Make sure you have a big drop zone and get the heck out of there as soon as she starts to go because there's no telling where she'll bounce!

Why are they cutting it down, other than the fact that it's 'different'? It looks healthy.

And yes, you can tell which way it's going to bounce. Based on the last picture, I'd guess that it will bounce/roll to the right.

I try to fall those to the side if possible because of the bounce/jump. They tend to not move much where as you cant tell how far or exactly where it will end up when falling into the lean.

I agree, that poor tree needs to be put out of it's misery.

Whats wrong with it? It is a human value to say it is 'miserable'. Tree seems healthy in the picture.

This often happens when the root ball moves as it is growing.

The tree is likely full of tensioned wood....push some of it through a table saw and you can learn about it. My prerogative to say that it's miserable, based upon lots of experience with tensioned wood.

I try to fall those to the side if possible because of the bounce/jump. They tend to not move much where as you cant tell how far or exactly where it will end up when falling into the lean.

Excellent advice, I don't know why I never thought of that.

Jay, just because that tree would make you miserable doesn't mean that it is miserable itself. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not much choice in the drop zones if I want to get it down in one piece. It is either left or right (in relation to this photo) which means it is going to bounce.

Really don't want to take this tree down, I think it's cool. Strongly tried to talk the homeowners out of this, but they are pretty determined. If it were mine, it would be staying. But also if it were mine, I'ld be rich, living in a big house. :lol:

I'm going to try contacting some of the log home folks up here to see if they can utilize its unusual shape. Pretty typical to see a big bend in a trunk, less so to see this severe of an S bend.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dave

Might try chaining it to the stump if there are targets nearby. Zipties are good for holding grab hooks in place

Dave, someone specializing in timber frame construction, might put that tree to good use, say as opposed to just a log home builder.

The tree is likely full of tensioned wood....push some of it through a table saw and you can learn about it. My prerogative to say that it's miserable, based upon lots of experience with tensioned wood.

Do trees grow with the intent to make themselves acceptable for you to lay out on your cutting table? :lol::what:

-If your only tool is a saw, then all problems are... (I forget the rest of the quote, but you get the idea right?)

I don't know what good the thing would be other than perhaps giant boomerangs . You certainly couldn't make a pool cue out of it unless you are trying to shoot around corners .

Being an oddball myself I try to convince people to give their weird trees a chance. Without much imagination a person could do a lot of fun things with that tree in their garden.

You could keep the bottom and make it into a bow. You could shoot those aspens into the neighbor's yard.

Aw Stump you aren't that ugly .Take a look at old Al sometime.A face only a mother could love .;) --but then again in some ethnic groups the word "mother " is only half a word,without any further ado .

I woulda flopped that sucker and bucked er into firewood without a second thought if that's what the customer wanted. Buncha leaflickers.:D:P

Back